Skip to content

Gapping Question...point on distance?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Gapping Question...point on distance?

Postby riverhill » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:35 pm

So im not much of a gap shooter, but i do use it to some extent when im shooting out past 30 yards. my question is what is an average point on distance? i heard somewhere 25 yards is about average, but im getting point on at like 45 yards. not a major issue, but it just had me curious.

Phil
Don't take yourself too seriously, you're probably wrong anyhow....
riverhill

Re: Gapping Question...point on distance?

Postby Bender » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:12 pm

There really is no "average" point on distance. Too many variables. Anchor point, split or 3 under, arrow weight, fletch size, arrow velocity, etc etc.
Bender

Postby str8shooter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:28 pm

Bender nailed it. There are a lot of variables that affect your point on distance. You can tweek your point on by manipulating the variable to fit your shooting style and the type of shooting you do the most. Alot of guys who compete in 3D try to set up bows with a relatively short point on to minimize gaps out to 30-35 yards. A setup like that can work well for hunting too. If you like shooting long distance stuff a 25 yard point on will make hitting at 40 or 50 or longer much more difficult.

I've messed with getting a short point on but I just didn't do well with it. I tuned my bow to have a 23 yard point on and below that it shot well. Past 28 yards my arrows dropped hard and it was pretty critical of elevation mistakes. My longbows have a point on of about 40 yards which is about as short as I like. When I shoot longer stuff my ILF rig has a point on of about 65-70 yards shooting three under.
str8shooter

Postby riverhill » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:42 am

ok, cool. thats kinda what i figured. its like everything else with shooting, change one variable and you change the whole thing. fwiw, i shoot split finger, 28" draw, arrow is 29 1/2" to the base of the point, weighs 589 gr.(average), 4 1/2" fletching, reverse handled longbow 57# @ 28".

im mostly just playin around in my backyard range. when im hunting though, i wont shoot at anything over 20 yards. the longer shots just help me focus on my problem areas in my form. (and its just fun to watch the arrow fly that far and actually hit what youre looking at)

i might play around with 3 under, and moving my anchor point to see what the different point on ranges are for me...
Phil
Don't take yourself too seriously, you're probably wrong anyhow....
riverhill

Postby Bender » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 am

As you expirement with it naturally change just one thing at a time. As you go along you may even find that it is possible to have different point on distances for the different things you do. High anchor for a close point on, low anchor for distance. Maybe even different sets of arrows of different weights. Be careful with that though. Not everybody likes it. You gotta have a good memory and not get confused from one to the other. Also many folks will only shoot well with one anchor. Moving up higher or lower messes with their form/release/follow through.
Bender

Postby TommyBoy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:44 am

I have shot with a number of really good, ole' timer, NFAA gap shooters. They always liked their point-on to be 40 yards. Sounds like you're doing ok with 45 to me.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken
TommyBoy

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum