Skip to content

Hunting Season?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Hunting Season?

Postby topcamp » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:17 am

bingo bender............it's extreme foc that made the difference.............even without fletching.........however, weight factors in by increasing the "p" factor down range versus a lighter shaft....the "p" factor falls off drastically with a lighter shaft as speed dissipates. a heavier shaft maintains it's " p " factor way above a lighter shaft through out its flight. but, a extreme foc lighter shaft would certainly be worth playing around with maybe in the8/ 9 grn per range for whitetail..............
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby str8shooter » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:24 am

I've thought about the EFOC concept with light arrows. I have some of the Victory Armour Piercing shafts with glue in points that are really light. They make some type of outsert so you can use screw in points with them. They are also really skinny shafts, nearly as small as an A/C/E. I think I did the numbers with these and a 200 gr. point and the FOC was way up there and the arrow weight stayed in the 400 gr. range.

I believe Harvest time makes a similar arrow that is a little bit heavier.

BTW, Ken, those Rage suck. My bro shot two deer with the regular two blade heads and neither got good penetration or blood trails. 70# compound, 400 gr. arrows, 270-280 fps. He lost both deer, both were slight quartering toward angles (not optimal) but shots he's done well with in the past. We found blades from one of the heads along the trail, and they were mangled. A good friend of mine bought some of the 40KE heads to shoot from his recurve. He said he shot one into a Block target and the blades started twisting after a few shots. If it were me I'd steer clear.
str8shooter

Postby whump » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:41 am

Whump Sez:I shoot or try to shoot when I get back in from a hunt . I still believe in the first shot in the kill zone practice . If you implant that in your brain it helps buckets on connecting if you are off or away from your shooting for a while . I sometimes go 2 months without shooting after season . If you make up your mind to walk or climb up to your practice position and resign yourself to that first shot going in the kill area; it will boost your confidence ten fold if you get in a situation where you cannot practice during a hunt. Archery is as much of a mind game to me as anything, let something creep into your confidence level and it will hurt your shooting, especially on game where the first shot is usually the only shot. Hunt safe.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:32 pm

To me the only difference it could make, having not read any of the Ashby stuff, is that a light tail would keep the arrow from kicking to the side if it hit an obstacle, and essentially force a straight line path. This in theory could increase penetration on shots that are marginal, like our quartering shots. I guess I should read Asby's reports, huh?

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum