Skip to content

Hunting Season?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Hunting Season?

Postby topcamp » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:56 pm

I have never used EFOC, but have used both heavy and light arrows - and if anything - I have found that the lighter faster arrows penetrate better in both bone and flesh on whitetails anyway.

and that is precisely what your missing in the ashby studies.......no one.......no one......in the traditional world has done more detailed extensive field research regarding arrow penetration in the media we hunt than ashby.........forget plywood......phonebooks......balistic gel........trashcans filled with sand..........your test used basicly normal low foc in both arrows..........one would expect that shot from the same bow the results would not show much measurable difference in penetration.......and since whitetail are really not that hard to penetrate............duh......

as the ashby studies show..........it's when you go to extreme foc 19.....23...+ % in foc.........the point is reached where no light normal foc arrow will match the penetration using the same p behind both arrows. ashby's work is indisputable in pointing out what a high foc heavy arrow can achieve versus a light normal foc arrow when shot from moderate weight bows. there is no comparison.........do you need a high foc arrow to kill a whitetail......of course not........but the goal should be.......to hunt with the arrow weight efoc broadhead combination that offers the best odds all the time of deep penetration when shit happens..............

that in a nut shell is the simple equation that the ashby study gives to everyone..............if they choose to use it.

your test in no ways matches what his work so arduously points out time in and time out. a heavy efoc arrow will eat your light arrow from the same bow.......day in and day out............in the bone flesh and blood we chase................is it necessary to have........no.......but it's just one hell of an insurance factor going down range when things go wrong with the shot.
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Penny Banks » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Took longer than I thought fro him to bring up the mechanical broadheads and light arrows and hate Ashby stuff. But he's back.

And to get back on track. I'm much like Stickshooter. I love to shoot the bow and shoot some every day. Regardless of hunting season or not.
Penny Banks

Postby topcamp » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:12 pm

And to get back on track. I'm much like Stickshooter. I love to shoot the bow and shoot some every day. Regardless of hunting season or not.

yup.....it's my drug of choice............and i can't go to many hours of repeated daylight without shooting my bow.........4x4 season x 365 days of the year.
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby onesharpbroadhead » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Penny - I have never used the mechanical broadhead - and I asked a guy about them who said he loves changing and testing broadheads. I am not advocating using mechanical heads - I simply have no experience with them at all.

I did not bring up the heavy arrow and ashby stuff - just stated my opinion that I don't agree with his findings - but I know it is to sin to some for someone to disagree with his findings.

I am not going to argue about it - I know for me - I shoot more accurately with a lighter faster arrow and I also know that the animals I hunt are just as dead with my light arrows as they were when i shot heavy arrows.
onesharpbroadhead

Postby Jeff Roark » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm definitely going to carry myself a judo and a blunt this season for the frequent stump and small game shots.
Jeff Roark

Postby BEN MAHER » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:05 pm

Stumping and roving whilst hunting is a big part of the facination and fun I have when hunting . I grew up hunting, always will...but if they baned it tomorrow I'd still shoot my bows just as much as I just love to watch arrows fly.

Thats why I prefer Arrowmaster /Side Stalker/back quivers ... i get to carry more arrows when hunting inc. judo's and blunts . And with some if the shots I take ... the casualty rate can be high :oops:

It also a great way to keep in tune through out the hunt , ymmv.

I must say though that I don't hunt from treestands so I probably get a lot more chance to fling arrows without spooking game than the guys up stands or in blinds ...aside from the many times when I am retrieving a blunt flung at a far off log , only to watch pigs and deer vacate the area rapidly...laughing at the dickhead who was stumping whilst he should have been hunting :mrgreen:
BEN MAHER

Postby lostaro » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:51 pm

I guess I needed to "splain" myself a bit....when I say I'm a broadhead junkie I mean I'm an old school broadhead junkie. I shoot many different heads but they are generally of the tried and true variety. Very little experience with expandables....one type, one shot, one very dead deer. It was the Rocket buck blaster, a 2 3/4" 6 blade contraption...worked awesome. Crumpled to a mangled mess going through some whitetail ribs but blew a giant hole out in the process. This was in a rare wheel bow phase of mine, 75lb Proline with 2219's i.e. power to spare for our 70lb deer. I stick to basic blades with trad gear....works awesome too! My original thought was that my getting bored with a broadhead and changing things up a bit keeps me speermintin' and thus shooting a lot during the season.
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby onesharpbroadhead » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:07 pm

I have had good luck the majority of the time with two blades - a few times I had bad blood trails - but that is to be expected. I have a friend who is sponsored by Rage and asked if I would try the 40 KE out of my trad bow and give an honest review of them - and he gave me a free pack - that is the only reason I am going to try them - if they work and give as good of a blood trail as claimed - I will let everyone know and shout it from the roof tops - but the same is true if I lose a deer because the head failed.
onesharpbroadhead

Postby Jeff Roark » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:27 pm

BEN MAHER wrote:Stumping and roving whilst hunting is a big part of the facination and fun I have when hunting . I grew up hunting, always will...but if they baned it tomorrow I'd still shoot my bows just as much as I just love to watch arrows fly.

Thats why I prefer Arrowmaster /Side Stalker/back quivers ... i get to carry more arrows when hunting inc. judo's and blunts . And with some if the shots I take ... the casualty rate can be high :oops:

It also a great way to keep in tune through out the hunt , ymmv.

I must say though that I don't hunt from treestands so I probably get a lot more chance to fling arrows without spooking game than the guys up stands or in blinds ...aside from the many times when I am retrieving a blunt flung at a far off log , only to watch pigs and deer vacate the area rapidly...laughing at the dickhead who was stumping whilst he should have been hunting :mrgreen:

If they ever ban hunting, I'll just become a poacher. I'm going to hunt and eat wild game as long as I want, not what someone else tells me. I'll follow the law until it over steps its bounds.
Jeff Roark

Postby Bender » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:16 pm

Definitely some good advice. Some of it I even remeber to do. Judos. Bring a target. Shoot before you leave for your spot.
Normally we don't get into the "What is Trad?" and "KE vs. Momentum" blah, blah, blah, endless and boring discussions here. But I just thought of something. Kind of an intellectual exercise to ponder. What if one could build a "light" arrow, say 8 gpp, but get it built with 20% + FOC? From what I gather from Ashby, he holds that even that would be a benefit to penetration, and would do better than a 8 gpp arrow at say 10% FOC. I guess that its not just making the arrow heavy that he finds important, its the FOC that is also critical. Its just that usually when we make a high FOC arrow, we also wind up making it pretty heavy. Hmmmmm.
Bender

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum