Skip to content

Hunting Season?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Hunting Season?

Postby Jeff Roark » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:27 am

Do any of you guys find your shooting accuracy drops off significantly over the course of the hunting season? I noticed mine sure did, and I know its the result of not shooting much at all, targets or animals! This year I need to come up with a plan to fit in a bit more shooting, but its hard because my property borders a WMA and I can come home, eat, grab my bow and out the door and be in the woods in 5 minutes. Hunting or shooting...well you can about guess.

What do you guys do to keep the skills sharp over the season?
Jeff Roark

Re: Hunting Season?

Postby trapperDave » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:15 am

stumps n squirrels
It's not funny until someone gets hurt.......then it's hilarious

Postby jeffhalfrack » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:57 pm

You know I was watching a hunting show Mcmillien or some thing like that dude looked like Mike myers in waynes world, and he all but begged the viewers to shoot at least one arrow before they left home or camp to hunt it got to me,,, and I have a short drive to where I hunt and I turn the car head lights and take a shot or two then when I get to my spot I have a target and I'll take a shot in the parking spot,,and I'm ashamed to say there have been many times I went to the range that after noon and not to the tree stand :oops: I suck bad enough but I do owe that animal a beter deal than let me lose my edge. did I answer your question ,,,not really but you may like to hear what other guys think JeffW

Postby Yohon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:11 pm

JUDO'S JUDO's JUDO'S!!!! I've gotten to stands late gettin caught up in shooting stuff while walking in. Morning hunts I may fling one or two at the truck but most times I get in the tree and pull back 1/2 dozen times, hold "on a target" of some kind for as long as I can and go with that for gettin loose on morning hunts....that is until the 1st squirrel comes along 8-)
Welcome to the USSA

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:26 pm

My target butt out back has flood lights installed over it. I rarely leave for a morning hunt that I don't shoot 1/2 dozen shots or so. I hardly ever get down after the morning hunt without shooting a judo at a leaf or pine cone on the ground below my stand. I usually stump shoot my way into and out from my stand, once I am clear of the immediate area where I am hunting. I carry a small block target in the bed of my truck and usually shoot a couple dozen arrows after lunch during the middle of the day. When late season gets here and it gets dark by 5:00, I will regularly come in from hunting and grab a bite to eat. I then turn on the flood lights and step outside to shoot a dozen or so arrows. I try to get in as much shooting, both for practice and fun, as I can during the season. As I hunt almost every day from October till mid January, I have to get a little inventive to get it in sometimes. I just plain like shooting my bow so that helps, plus I know how quickly my shooting skills degrade. Throw into the mix the fact that I will sometimes switch from a recurve to a longbow and back again as my primary hunting bows during the season and it is easy to see I NEED to practice as often as possible.

Some of the guys I hunt with and I enjoy our middle of the day "Stump shootin' and ball breakin'" sessions almost as much as the hunting. Fix a lunch and then spend an hour or so roving around trying to establish who sucks less that day.

I always find it hard to understand the guys who practice all summer and fall and then quit shooting when they start hunting. They may sit in a tree for two weeks until they get the shot they want. I couldn't imagine having the one shot I want to take at this big buck being the first arrow I have shot in 2 or 3 weeks. Then they are surprised when they miss or make a bad shot.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.

Postby onesharpbroadhead » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:15 pm

I actually shoot the least during the hunting season - because I spend all my free time hunting - I shoot the most in the winter - I shoot two indoor leagues and shoot nearly everyday all winter long - and shoot quite a bit in the summer - but in the fall I hardly shoot at all - spend most of my time waiting to shoot - :D - but I have not noticed any significant difference in my accuracy.

Postby lostaro » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:32 pm

I shoot constantly during the season....usually because I'm testing a new broadhead. I am a broadhead junkie...I know it's poor judgement but I'm always switching broadheads and always in testing mode. Might explain why I miss a lot!
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."

Postby onesharpbroadhead » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:58 pm

lostaro - have you ever tested those Rage 40 KE broadheads - I was given a pack of them to test out of my recurve - but I never saw a decent buck last year to shoot at - and I had already filled my doe tag before I got them. I have always had good luck with plain old two blades - magnus, muzzy, and steelforce - but I promised to test them - and was told that they leave an incredible blood trail and will not fail.

Postby topcamp » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:21 am

since it looks like it only comes in a 100 grns..........even though it says it's for under 40 ke is really not what gets the job done with traditonal equipment........momentum is what gets the job done traditionally.......and at 100grns........and the adaptors available now...........i see no way your going to get any where's near the efoc needed for great momentum out of traditional gear.......with that should work fine with a perfect thorax hit.........but it's dead in the hide if it hits a shoulder blade............i would think one would be better off staying with the tried and true fixed blades......2...3...or 4 that have the guts to make it through what ever.......... with momentum behind them..............and not all of those have what it takes to hold up to the task.......the idea is to have the absolute best arrow weight broadhead combo for the max penetration under the worst possible hit one might have happen .........not the perfect preferred hit. there's no way the rage can make the cut under those requirements.
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old

Postby onesharpbroadhead » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:22 pm

oh - I am not a believer in the Ashby stuff - my tests have shown that out of the same bow a light arrow penetrates just as well as a heavy arrow.

here are some videos of a test I did:

Part 1 of 2

Part 2 of 2

quick little addition: ... re=related

I have never used EFOC, but have used both heavy and light arrows - and if anything - I have found that the lighter faster arrows penetrate better in both bone and flesh on whitetails anyway.

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum