Skip to content

Masters of the Barebow volume IV

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Masters of the Barebow volume IV

Postby Yohon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:52 am

"I don't think he addressed the target panic at all--even though he touted a cure that would eliminate it forever."

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby BEN MAHER » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:30 pm

I have struggled with TP for ages ... particularly at targets . I have tried a bunch of stuff and have learnt that there are no real cures , no short term band aids etc . It all goes back to learning to trust your shot sequence [ whatever that may be ] . These tools discussed [ buttons etc , wall drills ] are not the cure , they just help me to learnt to relax and trust my brain and body because of the programming I have done on the bale . I took a huge step forward when i stopped looking for a cure and just trained better .
Once I figured that out , i have found some of the drills to be realy valuable .
BEN MAHER

Postby Jeff Roark » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:45 pm

For my issue, be it Target Panic or whatever, the Kidwell Drills were/are gold for me. I could run a perfect shot sequence on the bale, or anything that I didn't intend to shoot, but move to a target that I wanted to shoot and all the trusting in the world in my shot sequence couldn't help. The Kidwell Drills enabled me to get to anchor, move too and through my target easily. Within a day I went from not being able to get to anchor to getting nice and comfy with it while performing my shot sequence just as I could on the bale. It didn't take a long drawn out ordeal on the bale to get me back in the groove.
Jeff Roark

Postby BEN MAHER » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:49 pm

Jeff Roark wrote:Within a day I went from not being able to get to anchor to getting nice and comfy with it while performing my shot sequence just as I could on the bale. It didn't take a long drawn out ordeal on the bale to get me back in the groove.

Wow ... that is good going .

For me , having been shooting bows a long long time , my 'problems ' are probably pretty deeply ingrained into both my psyche and my shot sequence .I am trying , and using some of the Kidwell Drills ... we'll see how they go . too early to tell yet !

I'll stick with the bale in the long term, not just as a counter measure but the best training aid I have .
BEN MAHER

Postby Jeff Roark » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:21 am

BEN MAHER wrote:
Jeff Roark wrote:Within a day I went from not being able to get to anchor to getting nice and comfy with it while performing my shot sequence just as I could on the bale. It didn't take a long drawn out ordeal on the bale to get me back in the groove.

Wow ... that is good going .

For me , having been shooting bows a long long time , my 'problems ' are probably pretty deeply ingrained into both my psyche and my shot sequence .I am trying , and using some of the Kidwell Drills ... we'll see how they go . too early to tell yet !

I'll stick with the bale in the long term, not just as a counter measure but the best training aid I have .

Ben,
Well, I have to say that I've only been shooting about a year and a half and that I've only been experiencing TP for the past 2-3 months, so it may not be so deeply rooted in my mind just yet. I just know that the Kidwell Drills have helped my premature anchor and release nearly instantly. Like in my earlier post on this thread, I do the Kidwell Drills and blank bale work also. I put in about an hour or so on the bale last night. Dr. Kidwell even says you have to get on the bale a drill that shot sequence over and over until it is repeatable and comfortable.

Good luck!
Jeff Roark

Postby Gino Bruno » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:14 pm

shows how long i have been out of the loop..... i didn't even know that it existed.

Jim, where did you get it? i need to order a copy. i have really enjoyed the first 3.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:20 am

eBay. Rod Jenkins is listing them there. Just type in "Masters of Barebow", and it'll pop up.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby bearauto11 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:03 am

I haven't seen these yet, but I always hear people talking about volume III. I've been thinking I should start saving my pennies for that one. But, volumes I & II are on sale at Cabelas right now for $15. Are they worth getting?
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby bearauto11 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Or... is one better than the other?
bearauto11

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:10 am

I enjoyed volume I and II. They'd make a nice addition to any video library--I think. If I could only get one it would be volume III.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum