Skip to content

Masters of the Barebow volume IV

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Masters of the Barebow volume IV

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:51 am

I ordered a copy of Masters of the Barebow volume IV from Rod Jenkins and received it yesterday. I watched it last night, and again this morning. This is much different than any dvd I’ve seen before. It deals mostly with the mental aspects of the shot, and came along very timely for where I am now with the bridge and bale work. There’s a lot of interesting and thought-provoking information in this one, especially by Dr. Jay Kidwell and Joel Turner. I think volume III is still my favorite of the series, but this is a great addition too, with a lot of ideas to try in my practice sessions.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Re: Masters of the Barebow volume IV

Postby Yohon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:03 am

Did you get it off Rod's web site?
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:50 am

Sounds good Jim, I applaud your dilligence in continueing on the bale and bridge and I hope the dividends last a life time. Anyone who thinks shooting well is just dumb luck and not a well practiced skill is naive.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks SK. I hope so too. :D

Yohon,

Nope. I looked on his web site and it wasn't listed. He's selling them on eBay--$25.00 shipped.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Jeff Roark » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:46 pm

I think that for someone stepping into the bridge program from the bale that Dr. Kidwells windage drill would be better than focusing on a small spot. Learn the windage first while using your new form then when that is mastered learn the elevation.
Jeff Roark

Postby BEN MAHER » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Jim , I agree that Vol 3 is my favorite , but Vol 4 is the perfect companion, particularly some of the TP stuff to 3 and ties in really well..

I have already watched it a few times and have started to incorporate some of those Kidwell drills .

I'm getting quite a few email about getting Rod back ... not just from people who haven't done a clinic but mainly from the guys who did the clinic and want follow up .

We had quite a few guys 'fight' Rod's clinic stuff [ not sure why they came ! ] and they are still in the same place they were but that what they are happy with so more power to 'em and there 17 yards gutshooting lol!
Some of us however , may still be in the same place ... we just don't wanna be ... :D
BEN MAHER

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:31 pm

Ben,

Please keep us posted on the Kidwell drills. I'd really like to know how/if it improves your "need" to shoot. ;)

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Jeff Roark » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Jim,
I have been using the Kidwell Drills daily, and they have cured my target panic. The Sliding Anchor Drill has been like gold for me. It hit full bore at the TN. Classic and I couldn't get to anchor to save my life. Very discouraging and embarrassing shooting in that shape in front of people you don't know. Anyway...

In the morning when I get up for work I have about 15-20 minutes to shoot before I have to leave the house. I have been doing mainly Kidwell Drills with a few shots taken sporadically. When I do take a shot its at a piece of athletic tape I have on my target. I focus on windage only not worrying about elevation. I was shooting at a little spot on the corner of my blob but stopped that and I'm focusing on getting my windage a constant. I also do the drill Larry Yien talks about with holding for extended periods and then shoot. I pick a different count from 3-10 each shot. I found if I use the same number consistently I start anticipating the shot a bit and lose back tension.

In the evenings I work on the bale and if everything feels good I'll do a little shooting at the deer or my block target. Its seems to be working ok. I just need to be able to apply it under pressure.
Jeff Roark

Postby Yohon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:37 am

What I like about the MMB series is it makes you think, with all the different shooters, you get a great cross section of thinking. Interesting.

It took me 3 times to get thru Kidwells section but I made it LOL I'm going to work on his button idea, I like what he said about the spot picking you, Ive done that more than I would like.

I enjoyed Turners section alot and had alot of good advice but there is still that underlying problem for guys with TP about being able to get "on target" and go thru the stuff that he focused on. To me thats the root of the TP for most guys, either just flat out not getting on target or shoting once they get on target and I dont see where they addressed that. Heck Turner even dismissed the big target idea that I think helps alot of guys get "on target" then move to smaller targets as they gain more confidence.

You gotta love this stuff 8-)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:10 am

Yohon wrote:What I like about the MMB series is it makes you think, with all the different shooters, you get a great cross section of thinking. Interesting.

It took me 3 times to get thru Kidwells section but I made it LOL ....

I have to fess up. I fell asleep during his presentation the first time through. :lol:

I enjoyed Joel Turners presentation too. I think he needs to produce a dvd so he can take more time. It's obvious the guys a fantastic shot, but I don't think he addressed the target panic at all--even though he touted a cure that would eliminate it forever. He did show a way to funtion by using the feather as a clicker. Heck, I tried that years ago, but just like the clicker, I began to anticipate it.

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum