Skip to content

grip experimenting again

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

grip experimenting again

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon May 23, 2011 11:18 am

So a minute ago I came in the house from actually spending a half hour tuning my bow. :P I ended up going from 2215s 31" long with 125 grain screw-ins to 2117s 31" long with 125 grain screw-ins. Anyway, I've been having trouble getting that perfect arrow flight the last year or so. Mostly because I've been to fat and lazy to tune my bows. :lol:

I got this new bow Ken made me. It's the 50's style model he makes. It's got more of a longbow grip on it. I really started to shoot it any amount at Baltimore. The quill of the feather was kissing my index finger making me bleed. The bow just wants to draw blood. :P As a result I've been changing my grip slightly to avoid injury. Instead of locating my lifeline on the outside edge of the grip and shoving my limp bow hand into it so the firmer part of the hand/wrist are pushing straight forward towards the target, I'm griping it more like I was taught to grip a compound. I'm making a circle with my index finger and thumb and grabbing the grip and rotating my hand out maybe 30-40 degrees and keeping my wrist straight. Then when I draw I relax my thumb and index finger and keep my wrist straight. The result is a grip that's kind of similar to how I've been gripping a bow except there's no limp meat sticking up for the quills to rip apart. Another surprising thing is when I went to more of a pure compound style gripping method my arrow flight turned wonderful. Ball of feathers wonderful. I think that's how this bow wants me to shoot it. And the accuracy in my shooting with this bow is way up also when I do this grip method. Seeing as every shot we make is a flier and we try to make the fliers smaller and smaller, I think this might be eliminating some variability in how things are happening. I had a few "Holy shit!" moments.

I just found that interesting and thought I'd share that. The Firefly likes my old way of gripping so does my Whippenstick longbow. This new orange bow is a slightly different beast. I like it! :D
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Re: grip experimenting again

Postby rwsbow » Mon May 23, 2011 1:04 pm

All bows have that certain "spot" in the grip that they shoot the best at...just takes a little while to find it on some...

How does that "50's style" handle feel compared to what you are used to?
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon May 23, 2011 8:33 pm

It feels really easy and quick to get into the shot sequence. There's not so much of a pre-shot routine dance as with other bows. You just grab it and shoot it.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby BK in TEXAS » Mon May 23, 2011 8:55 pm

I started gripping it like that last year too. I like it. I did it to be more consistent :?
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby cst » Wed May 25, 2011 2:14 am

Thats how i shoot my firefly, and to a smaller degree my Sapphire. It works well, when i stay in practice.
cst

Postby LBB » Sat May 28, 2011 8:48 am

Feral, that's how I hold my longbows also.

Did you learn this from Viper? :)
Used to be longbow billy

................s are cool!
LBB

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun May 29, 2011 4:05 pm

LBB wrote:Feral, that's how I hold my longbows also.

Did you learn this from Viper? :)

Viper had me so messed up I almost gave up archery.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby LBB » Sun May 29, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm sure glad you didn't! :D

I couldn't tell people how I really feel.
Used to be longbow billy

................s are cool!
LBB

Postby whump » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:25 pm

Whump Sez: ran into that same thing after I switched from a slightly dished grip Hill Bow to a locator grip R&d bow. I was trying to shoot the locator grip with a heel down bent wrist, tight grip and arrows were flying off to the left like I was over spined. I like to have never broke that heel down hard grip habit. I don't see how anyone shoots the older Hill style bows with a straight wrist loose grip , if they do they had a lot less hand shock than mine . You try that on my 60 @ 28 bamboo special and it is a one arrow , one shot day. You spend the next 8 rubbing your elbow. Glad you got squared away. Hunt safe.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby Lee Vivian » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:02 pm

I love those "holy shit" moments......unfortunately, for me, they don't happen that often...nice to see it work for you.

Lee
Too many freaks, not enough circuses....
Lee Vivian

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum