Skip to content

Form Master Revisited

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Form Master Revisited

Postby Bender » Wed May 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Noticed a few things about my shooting that I wanted to address. Checked out a few videos and stuff concerning the Form Master. It has come up here before. I made myself one, and have been using it no problem. However I have a question about what it can and can't do for a shooter. It seems that it is exclusively for developing back tension isn't it? It isn't going to do a thing for developing a better release, follow through and conclusion is it? After a little time with it, "dead release" hardly does justice to what I get with it. My string hand is just dead there, kinda laying against the side of my face. (Which as I understand it is a good thing to happen when using the Form Master.) But my string hand sure as hell isn't going anywhere backward, towards follow through and conclusion either, which are a couple of other things that I want to look at as well.
So I guess my question is, as far as using the Form Master is concerned, as long as I have back tension, and know it and feel it deep down, then is that as far as it can take me, except of course, for practice/repetition of that one exercise?
Bender

Re: Form Master Revisited

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Wed May 18, 2011 6:53 pm

If you’re maintaining tension and keeping it through conclusion I doubt you’d see any benefit from using one. I’ve thought of it simply as an anti collapse device. It’s the poor saps like me that the thing was made for.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Yohon » Wed May 18, 2011 7:05 pm

I think if you practice with it a bit more and really crank into the back tension so you can get your bow hand moving back some, I think that will really show itself on your taget shot. IN other words pull even more that you think you need and see what that does for you.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Bender » Wed May 18, 2011 8:06 pm

I'm tending to agree with Jim from what I saw, BUT I'm going to give Yohon's idea a try. I wonder if that might also clean up my release?
And speaking of releases, does anybody actually shoot BETTER with a NEW tab or glove? It seems that way to me. It seems that once it gets what most would consider "broken in" as far as my shooting goes, its done, and no longer any good to me. And given that situation, is it "diagnostic" of any issues with my release? Lord I hope not! My release is one of the few things about my form and execution that has never seemed to seriously screw with me.
Bender

Postby bearauto11 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Bender,
I don't know what tab you have, but I have one of those Cordovan Leather ones. Now that it's broken in, it has kind of taken a permanent bend. I often wonder if that makes the string come off slower because it stays on the tab's bend. Dunno though. :roll:
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby Bender » Wed May 18, 2011 11:11 pm

I make my own tabs with cordovan. Its that bend or whatever you want to call it that seems to mess with me. When it gets to certain point, its done. Yet I hear of others using a single tab for years, and see guys shooting just fine with ones that look like the dog has been using it for a chew toy.
Bender

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat May 21, 2011 6:04 am

Bender,

Steve Morley just posted this on the LW to a question about what may have improved your shooting. He wrote, “Making my followthrough a little more dynamic has improved my overall consistency, even more so on the longer shots.”

Made me think of Yohon’s reply to you.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Bender » Mon May 23, 2011 10:30 pm

Tried Yohon's method. OK on a little 25# kiddy bow. Made my draw shoulder hurt on 43#. Like a "Oh crap I think tore something!" kind of hurt. Not good. So this leads me to believe that since I can maintain a dead release against the Form Master with 40# and even 50# I must have some back tension going on. However the shoulder pain from trying to pull through against it indicates that I also have too much muscle recruitment in the shoulder which is less than optimum. I will have to pursue this particular exercise using the kiddy bow.
Bender

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum