Skip to content

Tell me about WALL DRILLs

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Tell me about WALL DRILLs

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon May 16, 2011 6:36 pm

Okay… I’ve been heard about wall drills. Can someone give me an overview of the drill and the intended rewards of it?

Do you literally go through your shot sequence while facing a wall, or do you face the mark, or…..?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Re: Tell me about WALL DRILLs

Postby Stykshooter » Mon May 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Dunno...

A couple of decades ago I sat through a seminar by Frank Pearson where he talked about drawing your compound through the valley and to the wall and just holding it there while trying to keep your pin on the target. Was supposed to help you develpe a rock solid bow arm and also worked to help you through target panic. Maybe thats what they are referring to.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby superkodiak38 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:16 pm

If I feel like I am not running my shot to conclusion or releasing early I will draw on a large tree or other wall like object I do not intend to shoot just to get feel of controlling my shot.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Tue May 17, 2011 5:19 am

What Tim said!!! ;)

You can call it the wall drill, the TV drill or your wifes car drill!! Draw on something and hold so that you can get that feeling of knowing your not letting go no matter what. Thats mantainable state, everything set and ready to go, you simply havent givin it the green light. While doing it you learn how long you can athletically keep manatainable states, when you feel you cant hold it together any longer you let down. Its not an exercise to see how much longer you can hold it than the last time you did it but to learn that feeling of control and the length of time you can keep in in control. Your target shot should feel exactly the same way and its a reinforcer of that. Like Tim said if your at a tourney or something and it dont feel right, drawing on a tree or something similar will remind you how its supposed to feel and get you back on. Its helped me a ton for my shooting and its probably the drill I do the most.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Hornseeker » Wed May 18, 2011 12:14 pm

I do it quite often, though never knew it was an actual drill...

This fall my buddy drew back on a doe that he intended not to shoot... we were elk hunting... then all the sudden "whamo"... WTF?? He's looking at me with this shocked look! :shock: He had settled into full draw and was mentally feeling the shot when he hit the trigger (compound)... no arrow nocked luckily!!! LMFAO... we both laughed over it for a while! So, make sure you stay conscious enough to KNOW you are not supposed to release!
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Yohon » Wed May 18, 2011 1:59 pm

E....the 1st time I did that on a deer with my stickbow I thought I dislocated my shoulder.......... :mrgreen:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Jeff Roark » Wed May 25, 2011 2:41 pm

I've been doing alot of these when its too bad outside to go shoot. I've also tried to add in Jay Kidwells drills while doing it also. Maybe thats the perfect time to be doing them.
Jeff Roark

Postby Yohon » Wed May 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Well whatcha think Jim?

Anymore the wall drill is the thing I do the most. Its benefits/rewards show its self to me all the time.

Maybe something for you Jim is try the wall drill with your clicker on BUT before you start, set the clicker a bit long. Get on target, get MS and see how long you can maintain and I betcha in that time that thing will click and show you that you are indeed pullin the whole time. Especially since I know that after Rod had everybody do the formaster you had the pulling then.....just another way to show youself that "damn I am pullin" that just gives your brain the comfort that its happening. It was a huge eye opener for me.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Wed May 25, 2011 3:59 pm

KEEP Pull'n? That's my weak spot.

I'm surprised to see that you do Wall Drills most. I'll take that as a strong recommendation. ;)

Curious Yohon... do you do the drills away from or addressing the butt--or both?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Yohon » Wed May 25, 2011 4:11 pm

Got a bow in the house here that I do wall drills on all the time.....no butt. All the others are done in the garage where my bag hangs.

Yep...NEVER stop pullin ;)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum