Skip to content

How Crappy is my Shooting?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

How Crappy is my Shooting?

Postby bearauto11 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Well, I'm kind of embarrassed to put this on here, but I was videotaping myself shooting today. I could pick out a few things that I am doing wrong. I'm pretty sure I'm torquing the bow and for some reason I can't seem to keep my head still after the shot. Oh.. and I chew gum like a cow. :D
So... If y'all wouldn't mind. I'll put the video on here and I'd sure like to hear any suggestions you might have.
Thanks,
--Tom

bearauto11

Re: How Crappy is my Shooting?

Postby Bender » Tue May 03, 2011 11:10 pm

Real quick (its past my beddy bye time) I saw a couple shots "on the move" the bow arm never stopped moving. The first was the worst. BAD habit to get into, regardless of how you shoot, instinctive, gap whatever. Never experienced it but theoratically can lead to particular form of target panic where the shooter can only release as their aim or sight picture sweeps across the intended target. Sweep...Release....Hope for the best sort of thing. That's all I have time for right now I'll look again later.
Bender

Postby MarkW » Wed May 04, 2011 10:28 am

Have to agree with Bender. Bow arm is definately on the up swing when you release. Can't see anything else that is wrong.
MarkW

Postby Bender » Wed May 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Yep, I think that's it, unless you want to get some video at other angles. Tough to say but maybe you're not always in back tension on every shot? Its just a suspicion on my part.
Bender

Postby bearauto11 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of felt funny posting a video of myself shooting, but now I'm real glad I did.
I understand exactly what you meant about the hand moving. I watched the video again and saw it too. Once in a while, I get a flier and my bow hand pops to another spot. I wasn't sure why I was doing that, but I think holding my bow hand steady for a second or two while on target might be the answer. I just shot about 2 dozen arrows really concentrating on that and I could see where improvement will come.
As far as the back tension is concerned. That is something that I am working on. I am probably not going to full back tension on some shots. I think I start to sometimes, but don't quite get there. It's something I think I can feel and notice.
Thanks again. That'll give me something to work on.
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby Stykshooter » Wed May 04, 2011 8:19 pm

May not be all you..

On two and possibly three of the shots you can hear what sounds like your arrow shaft slapping the riser. Real noticable on the third shot. The noise may just be an anomaly of the video, or your nocking point may be off or the spine of your arrows is off. Definitely sounds like your arrow is slapping the bow though.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby bearauto11 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:28 pm

You know. I just made that bow and I think it keeps getting louder and more vibration. I checked the tiller today and it is about 1/2" positive. I don't know if it's something I screwed up when I finished the bow and I just didn't notice. Or if it's something that is getting worse. I have to check that out. Do you think that could be the noise or do you think it's the arrow hitting the bow still?
Thanks,
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby bearauto11 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:31 pm

OK I just watched it again and heard that too. I'll definitely have to look into that.
Thanks,
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby whump » Sat May 07, 2011 8:07 pm

Whump Sez; it's hard to say how crappy your shooting is without a picture of the target with the arrows stuck in there. I have seen people shoot with a swing draw that could hit pretty good but if you are getting groups that look like shot gun patterns then hold a bit longer so you can settle in. If you think you are over bowed and that is what is causing you to rush the shot then you need to drop some weight off your next bow. You do have noise that sounds like arrow slap, if your brace dropped some from string stretch or something giving on the bow, that could be causing the arrow noise. One thing you can do, since I noticed you anchor at the corner of your eye--is move up or back for a point on shot, hold at least 2 seconds with the point on the spot and release. This will give you a little better idea what is going on. Sometimes equipment mis match or some tuning problem will show up when you do that and you can get back on track by looking at the nock orientation of the arrows sticking in the target. Over all your form looks pretty good other than you are rushing the shot so it appears that your arm never stops moving. HUnt Safe..
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby bearauto11 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks guys. I guess I don't really think I shoot that crappy, I just know I have room for improvement. That holding on the target thing seems to be an important trick. I tried to fix that the other day an it seemed to make quite a bit of improvement in the way he shot feels. I didn't shoot enough to decide if it will make me more consistent, but I'm willing to bet it will. I'm modifying that bow and started to shoot my recurve to practice. I'll let you guys know when I get so good I can't even make myself miss. :o :D
Thanks again,
--tom
bearauto11

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum