Skip to content

Firefly tuning

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Firefly tuning

Postby PAarcher » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:36 pm

Ok, after watching the "Modern Traditional" DVD that Roger sent me I am intrigued enough to throw caution to the wind and have a go at stringwalking. My Quinn is set up for shooting off the shelf and does quite well at it. There's not much point in continuing to set up the Firefly exactly the same way.
We'll call it an experiment and see how I do.
I did a very preliminary setup this afternoon. I have a Terry Deluxe rest and a few cheap plungers to work with.
One drawback I can see immediately is that there is no place to anchor the rest except with the plunger. The FITA bows have another hole just for anchoring the rest. Perhaps I'll try some double sided tape to lock it in place or just switch to something like the T-300.
I do like the anchor point they use. It is very positive. I'll definitely need a new tab.

The saga will continue!
PAarcher

Postby cst » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:51 am

WHat about 14" You could go really crazy and just bolt the limbs to a handle :lol: The most compact ...

Well, I think I can lay all my tuning woes to big giant wool puffs. I got carried away with them. I took a couple of bows (including the Firefly) that were shooting well and screwed them up with the big puffs. On the otherhand they were all soooo quiet. I always start a bow out where I have found other bows of a similar design work well. That is what was really perplexing. I never realized how much a little bit of wool can change things. Real eye opener. I think I will be doing the yarn wrapped loops thing from now on though.

That Firefly handle is awesome. No two ways about it. Even all out of tune like it was, It still shot quietly, and pretty dang near where I wanted the arrow in the first place. I think that thing has got to be almost as forgiving as my Sapphire Hawk.
Good work Aaron.
cst

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:34 am

I almost did one freakier than that. I was going to take 2 limb pockets and cut out about a 4" riser out of 5/8" thick sheet and use a roll pin as a shelf. You'd have to use the lower limb pocket as a grip. :lol: I was going to make one just to be silly.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby cst » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:51 am

I like the Firefly just the way it is. I like it and the Sheep and my Hawk so much I am thinking about selling off some of my other stuff. I would not make any changes to the Firefly except the finish. It seems to scratch and ding even easier than the Sheep. I have mine covered in black cloth grip tape right now to kill the shine and to protect the finish. Course I am a huge klutz. I am hard on my equipment and buy good quality stuff because it stands up to more abuse. So perhaps having them anodized or dipped and sprayed with a protective topcoat would be a good idea. Or maybe I am just too rough?
I did notice that you aint gonna have more than a one pin sight on that bow. I know you made it shorter so it will excell for hunting and that the sight window had to be shortened to do this, but I threw a sight on anyway. I could get the Twenty mark (on that fancy HHA arc slide adjuster sight I have) and then I ran out of room. I was thinking I probably could not use high back feathers with a sight and rest because of the lack of room. So, I shoot it without a sight and am pretty happy with how I can shoot it (as long as I am not shooting with other people. I get stage fright I think) for the most part. I am gonna go shoot some now.
cst

Postby PAarcher » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:16 pm

I don't know, I'm thinking stringwalking might suck! It makes my bow loud. Having 3/8" positive tiller really throws the bow out of whack for anything but extreme crawls. Yech!
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:27 pm

Yeah, stringwalking looks really bad for keeping tune. I think you really need something like a 68" Oly bow for that.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:29 pm

Yeah, Chris I'm finding that finish does scratch too. It goes on a lot thinner than the gloss finishes do. I might have to switch to anodizing if we want tough. Film dip is just 2 layers of wet paint with some ink graphics in between.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby cst » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:09 am

Well, I always want tough and good looks to go with good performance. Thats not asking too much is it? I have found that if you don't beat the riser around it doesn't scratch. So that finish isn't exactly falling off or anything. I am just a big klutz. I noticed a litle shine to it. Not much of one, but enough so that it it not black hole flat black you know? I doubt anodizing could do as well or any better in that department. But, hey performance is top, notch a better finish needs to be invented to stand up to my abuse that's all.
cst

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:00 pm

See, both of those risers have exactly the same material on them for coating. It's just that one coating may be thicker than another or maybe Jimmy was 10 degrees different from batch to batch. That's why I make him do the limb pockets with the riser so they match. Well, I'm going to be doing a different coating process anyway from now on.

Go to the farm and barn store and buy something called vet-wrap. It's what vets use to bandage animals with. It's a rubbery ace bandage like material and it sticks to its self but it's not sticky. It's flat charcoal gray in color. It's about $2 a spool. Just make sure when you cut it off the spool, you make a flap backwards on the roll so you can find it again. I just did my bowtech in it. It smells a slight bit but that goes away over night if you leave it outside and let it air out. It's really cool stuff. My friend turned me on to it yesterday.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:47 pm

With hunting season here I haven't been spending as much time with the Firefly as I would like. I have just been "on" with the Quinn and have been using it almost exclusively.

Since I can't hunt on Sundays and I had the day off I decided to break the Firefly back out. It is set up with a T300 rest and a plunger and is probably pulling 51# with the ExtremeBF limbs the way it is set. My buddy Chris and his wife were coming over today for some shooting and dinner so I grabbed some arrows to wee what would fly. I have some Terminator Lites that flew well and are fast as hell but seem twitchy and not too forgiving. 2016s with 125gr points didn't fly bad either.
Then I unscrewed the 190gr tips I have on my SST230 shafts (Quinn's hunting setup) and replaced them with some 140gr heads. Gave me a total arrow weight of 480gr, a 40 yard dead on hold with my high anchor and man do they fly well!! Forgiving and fast enough.
Maybe it was just me but I really clicked with this setup today. We were shooting at my 3D targets in the yard from 5 yards out to about 60 yards and I was smacking the heck out of them! Especially out to 40 yards. It was a good day. I almost forgot what a joy this bow is to shoot. Even Chris, who is a died in the wool wood fan, really likes shooting it. I have some Bear Razorheads in the right weight range. I might have to take her hunting again this week! Today really got my confidence up.
PAarcher

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum