Skip to content

Firefly tuning

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Firefly tuning

Postby Feral Donkey » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:40 pm

The bummer part is I don't have enough travel in that machine to do a 23" riser. I'm barely squeeking by with the Black Sheep. I need a bigger machine to do a 23 or 25" riser. Call up Barnsdale and get one of their compound risers and I'll make ILF limb pockets to fit it. ;) It'll be the most expensive warf ever.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:46 pm

You just work on getting those Fireflys out. Just keep that target riser thing in the back of your mind and should the opportunity present itself...........
I think that the dedicated target riser business would be a pretty tough nut to crack. The big companies have that pretty well locked down and you can get a great riser pretty cheap. But I gotta wonder how this riser would be stretched out a few inches. It has such a phenomenal feel.
PAarcher

Postby cst » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:16 pm

Well, I devoted my afternoon to some serious tuning. I started with the dacron string and wondered what the hell I was thinking last night. What this bow wants is an '02 string of the proper length with yarn wrapped endloops. I didn't figure this out until I sat down to trim the wool some and using a broadhead cause I didn't have a knife handy I manged to cut my left thumb, add another slice to my right index finger and cut one bundle of the b-50 string I made last night. I am kind of a clutz sometimes. But on the other hand I am a demon when it comes to first aid. When I had the cuts all superglued up and the string off the bow I took a too long string that was in my tacklebox and remade it only smaller. Then I thought about losing the puffs alltogether and just wrapping the loops and the string that contacts the limb. Then I took the chair button off and added a centerrest flipper. Took that off and put some velcro on the shelf and screwed a plunger in the lower hole and put a sight on. The arrows flew great. I started monkeying with brace and nockheight and ended up with a brace of 8 and a little bit over 1/2" (I aint no tape measure guru) and the nock ended up right above 5/8" like it is on 9 of my other bows. I think I have a weird release or maybe it is the four fletch thing but my nockheight always ends there. Which is what was perplexing my the other day. Oh, tiller is dead even again and I put some small puffs back on the string cause I like the way they look. I finally ended up taking the sight off and just enjoying the bow. I seem to shoot better with no sight on the bow. I think it might be a pressure thing. Or balance, yeah that's it. Balance. Right.
cst

Postby rwsbow » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:57 am

You're right Chris...balance.. :lol:
Well did you get it where you want it? Sounds like you are enjoying it now!!
Most of my braceheights are 8 1/2 with 1/2 nock high ..sometimes it's always nice to start a new bow at what works on your others if the design is close.
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:23 pm

PAarcher wrote:You just work on getting those Fireflys out. Just keep that target riser thing in the back of your mind and should the opportunity present itself...........
I think that the dedicated target riser business would be a pretty tough nut to crack. The big companies have that pretty well locked down and you can get a great riser pretty cheap. But I gotta wonder how this riser would be stretched out a few inches. It has such a phenomenal feel.

You wait until you see what I have in mind for a 17"er. :D ;) :twisted:
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby BLE » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:25 pm

The new 17" riser? OK, I'm interested!
BLE

Postby PAarcher » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:40 pm

:o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :twisted: Here we go again!! Should I start saving?
PAarcher

Postby Gino Bruno » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:06 am

yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where do i sign........... i also want one of the emroidered shirts like hanky has and that fat salary that you are paying him :D ................ now all i have to do is learn to shoot as well as he does :D

can't wait to see what you come up with FD!!!!!!!!!
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:43 am

Hold on, I need to get the Firefly ironed out and in prodution first. Then we'll go ape with the 17"er. :D
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:11 am

No rush my friend! You do that voodoo that you do so well!!!
PAarcher

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum