Skip to content

Firefly tuning

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Firefly tuning

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:56 am

I thought it would be a good idea to publicly share what we've done to get our Firefly prototypes in tune or atempt to get them in tune. This way we can all share info and the public can be a part of the development of this product. That way there's also no way we can sweep any problems under the rug. I welcome input from everybody.

Here's what I've done so far. Started with 45# longbow limbs and a 60" D97 string with yarn poofies. 8&3/8" brace and pretty quiet with my 30" draw. Then Hank Gave me a 58" D97 string for the mediums so i put the 45# carbon woods on and it was noisy. I ran the tiller up and down and it likes it best at 1/16" positive and I'm shooting split finger. The brace is at 8" and the rig is quiet enough for hunting with one set of yarn poofies on the string. Still got a little high pitch click from the carbon woods that's not a limb pocket noise, it's in the top limb. Well, last night I got a new 58" 8 strand 450+ string. With everything set the same and nock point 1/2" high, I can tell that it's quieter than the naked D97 string and it feels a little more forgiving. I shot some nice groups with it at a variet of distances last night. I haven't any poofies on it yet and that top limb noise is there.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Re: Firefly tuning

Postby PAarcher » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:49 am

Right now I only have 1 set of limbs for my Firefly. I hope to change that this week.
My current limbs are a set of 46# Samick Agulla Ultras. Carbon/Wood. (no glass) These things flat out smoked an arrow out of the DAS. I haven't chronoed them on the Firefly yet but they seem plenty fast.
I've made several strings so far. 2 10 strand D97 strings served with .19" Halo serving. 1, 3 bundle and 1, 2 bundle. I amde the 2 bundle an inch shorter and that actually fit a bit better. (less twists) Both strings are fairly noisy with these limbs. They quiet down some when I run the brace to 8 1/8". No real noise difference between wool puffs and Spyder silencers.

When switching to a 10 strand padded loop 450+ string the noise drops to a tolerable level. Like FD says, it seems to come from the top limb. Maybe it's coming from both and I just notice it more from the top since it's closer to my ear. In any case, the 450+ string really helps to quiet carbon limbs. Like FD, I still get a bit of noise but nothing intolerable. James wouldn't stand for it though.

I have monkeyed with an elevated rest but didn't shoot it enough to give any meaningful feedback. I also shot off the shelf with a plunger. That worked well, though I was getting a bit of fletch contact. I think further tuning would eliminate that. I also tried a springy rest in the lower plunger hole. That was the bees knees! Great arrow flight and very low over the hand. My only complaint is it seems to add a bit of noise. Both on the draw ( arrow sliding across the spring) and on the release (arrow paradoxing into the spring). If I can quiet it that will be my go to setup. Currently I have a GEREP rest set up, just like on the Quinn. It is very quiet and very forgiving.

Getting my hunting shafts to fly well has been a piece of cake with all the various setups I've tried. (SST 230 shafts with 190gr points and 4" 3 fletch)

I'll continue to update as I go. I hope to be going to LAS either tomorrow or Thursday to test some new limbs. Hopefully that will work out and I can get some draw force curve numbers and chrono numbers while I'm there. :mrgreen:
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:11 pm

Yeah, getting arrows to fly well is a total piece of cake. Maybe we should try some wood/glass limbs. The longbow limbs were plenty quiet and Chad's wood/glass trad tech limbs are quiet on his. I found the more positive the tiller, the more things got noisy and vibrated more. For me, it likes a tiller that's amost even.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:40 pm

Looks like LAS is pretty low on the limbs I am interested in the weight range I need. My trip might have to be postponed. :(
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:50 pm

Well, I just got Top Camp's t-300 rest in the mail with the demo Black Sheep. I think that's what it's called. It's the Daskateer's flipper of choice. Anyway, with a slight bit of trimming I bet I can get it to fit down by the bottom plunger hole. Then I'm thinking i can glue a little felt to the tip of a set screw and adjust my center shot that way. Hmmm...
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:52 pm

Mike, what weight range you looking for? I have these synerzys here that should be around 50#s and make a 60" bow. Let me know if you're interested.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby PAarcher » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:16 pm

50# is what I'm after. If they are quiet I'd be interested.
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:41 pm

I don't know if they'll be quiet. They're the ones off the red sheep you shot. I'll send them to you and you can try them out and see what you think.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Hank » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:37 pm

Got my tiller even, 8 strand 450+ string with an 8" brace height, Suffix Siege Mono... might be 30 lb test. Shooting CE Thunderstorms... the wheelie boys commented on how fast the bow was.

It is quiet and a tack driver.

Shooting a thin, but double layered cordovan tab and I seem to get the best groups and improved speed with it. Might get to chrono it in a couple of days.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby PAarcher » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:06 pm

Cool Aaron. Thanks!
PAarcher

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum