Skip to content

new shooting aid for holding longer......

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: new shooting aid for holding longer......

Postby Bender » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Actually I think it worked because of at least 2 things. The switch, which heightened concentration. You do switch bows a lot so you do already periodically experience that. However you were able to carry it over, back to other bows, AND even show an actually MEASURABLE improvement. Excellent that you kept track using a quantifiable method, rather than just "Gee! It sure seems better!" You see, that kept it from being just a brief occurance of "New Toy Syndrome." (NTS)
And then of course there was the lighter holding weight as well. Which we already know relates to being good for working on form and execution without struggling.
Anyway I'm sure that none of this "news" to you, its just I believe that it wasn't just the low holding weight. You had 2 things working to generate a benefit for you.
Bender

Postby jeffhalfrack » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:06 pm

It all sounds good, but I have a question,,, there are a bunch of seasoned bow hunters at my club that can switch from trad to wheels, most of them shoot oneida eagels fingers only,,, what do the finger guys shoot for wheel bows at your clubs, thanks JEFFW
jeffhalfrack

Postby Gino Bruno » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:47 pm

i used to have an oneida about 20 years ago. SWEET draw cycle but they were VERY loud and the set screw on the cam would come loose allowing the draw length to slip..... happened to me when i was at full draw on a buck. i haven't seen one in years.

to be honest, i don't go to our local club much but there seem to be VERY VERY few finger shooters there. the 3 that i know of shoot the longer mathews with one shooting an old hoyt caribou (i love that bow).
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:55 pm

We have over 180 guys in our archery club, most of them compound guys. I can't remember the last time I saw one of them shooting fingers.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:17 am

rwsbow wrote:I think it is because we get complacent (read as sloppy)when we shoot the same bow all the time..we forget to pay attention to the placement of the grip, finger pressure spots on the string,anchor good and tight,etc.

It is also important to hold long enough to let the bow arm settle down..a condition that the compound bow (or lighter weight "girlie" bow :) ) allows you to do...it's amazing how accurate you can get when YOU control the shot rather than the bow weight controlling it..

Most of all, sometimes it's just plain fun to play with new toys!!!... :lol:

I think Roger just hit the mark. Gino, you talk about holding longer and how it (holding) has helped your groups tighten. I may case, with the target panic, it was all about being able to hold—period. When I began the bale/bridge drills, I found out in short-order it was much easier with light weight—I’m talking 20 pounds. It allowed me to feel and critic every aspect of my shot sequence. If I moved up in weight too soon, or if I got too much weight the anxiety would return immediately. I’ve heard a lot of archers say, “If you can shoot light weight well, you can shoot hunting weight better.” I know in my case it’s been all about the weight. It lessens the stress (mental and physical) and allows me to concentrate “completely” on my form.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Gino Bruno » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:15 pm

no doubt about it, Jim. i didn't even hunt with anything this year above 43lbs. i am sold on "girly weight" bows...... especially when it comes to consistent accuracy...... well, that and the fact that i held full draw on my WI buck for a LONG LONG time until he cleared the brush. i didn't realize how long i held for until after the fact.

i still consistently pull a 67# bow 2-3 times a week just to keep the strength up so that when i am shooting my lighter bows, they continue to feel light. having said that, holding around 34lbs on the compound definately lets me settle the bow arm without even thinking of fatigue..... but that is part of the conclusion right? :D

to be honest, i wasn't really questioning the why of it with this thread. more of the fact that i recognized the bennefit and wanted to share it.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby rwsbow » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:35 pm

Gino...

that last sentence you typed is the important part...it works for you and may also work for others,if they would give it a try...maybe for them it is only one second more..maybe longer...we're all individuals with different "computer" between our ears and they are all programmed differently.....

Thanks for the thread...good stuff...
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50 am

I haven't even SEEN a compound finger shooter since I put mine down 5 years ago.....

I do know a guy that just bought the Hoyt as well, for the same purpose though!

I need to get back into shooting. I shot quite a bit Sunday and really enjoyed it. I was real happy to see I hadn't "lost" anything either. Matter fact, a couple of my 20 and 30 yd groups were as good as I'd ever shot!
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Tradbh » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:43 pm

I found the exact same thing when When shooting my wifes compound to make sure it was dialed in for hunting. Took awile to get used to the letoff and site,but in a while I couldn`t miss! Picked up my recurve and immediatly saw an improvement.Shot the wifes bow 6 more times, and........it blew apart! Now it`s a candidate for an ILF conversion if I can figure it out. She WAS pissed to say the least. Of course it was MY fault!
Tradbh

Postby Bender » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:51 am

Of course it was MY fault!

Naturally.
Bender

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum