Skip to content

new shooting aid for holding longer......

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

new shooting aid for holding longer......

Postby Gino Bruno » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:56 am

it is called a compound....... now hear me out. ;)

for the longest time i have been wanting to set up a dedicated finger shooting compound. i am talking a long axle to axle, high brace height, low letoff, round wheeled bow that actually had some deflex in the riser. one that is so forgiving that i can screw up my form and still put the arrow in it's entended mark. since really nothing on the market has all those attributes, i decided i'd build one. in the meantime i found a very very nice hoyt protech on ebay and got it CHEAP! i figured i'd use this to find things i liked about it and then start my designing from there.

in the meantime, i tuned it up and mounted some sights on it. at first i wanted a bow with about a 50lb peak weight, the one i found was 60 so i figured what the heck. i am telling you what, this thing is so smooth that i thought the marked weight on the bow was wrong. i took it out to the scale and it was pulling 58.7lbs after i got the tiller correct and the wheels timed...... i fully thought it was less than 50lbs. :?

once i started shooting it, i couldn't put it down. to be honest, i never really enjoyed shooting my compounds that i have had in the past.... they were strictly hunting tools and shooting was just a form of maintenance for any hunting season. single string bows, on the other hand, have always been something that i really enjoyed doing since i was a very young child..... and now..... shooting this very very smooth compound with fingers has been a blast. i'd be fibbing if i said that i enjoyed it more than shooting the single strings, but i honestly do enjoy it..... quite a lot!

in the process of my bale, bridge, and target work something started standing out that i know i hadn't done before. i am consistently holding for much longer at full draw and concequently, my groups are getting even tighter especially at extreme distances. i have always had a very deliberate and long hold when at full draw by many people's standards.... but now.... i really hold for a while.

with the compound, i hit anchor and settle my pin much faster than i ever did when shooting with a release..... but i still hold on target for a long long time. this has translated right over to the single string bows and as a result, my groups have noticabley shrunk in the last 2 months. i had really hit a plateu in the last 8-10 months and my 300 rounds have proved that. i shoot them twice a month just to check/guage my performance and it had become stagnent which was really frustrating. my last 3 rounds have been on average 8pts higher and i attribute most of it to the compound.

sounds crazy, but it has worked for me.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Re: new shooting aid for holding longer......

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:54 am

I don't think it is just the compound...

The last month or so I have been shooting a Howard Hill longbow a LOT. I am talking about up to two hours a day some days. It being a whole new process for me, new grip, new bow arm position, about eleven feet longer than my recurve, I have to think my way through the whole shot process and really concentrate on the fundamentals. I have noticed that when I go back to shooting my Titan my shooting has tightened up and is in that scarey category. Shooting consistent 23's and 24's on the 300 face. I told Joe the other day, I am convinced that shooting this longbow is going to make me a better shot. It just might not be with the longbow.

I have noticed the same thing over the years when I seriously pick up a different bow, shooting my Thunderstick, switching from Bighorn to Robertson, my time with some Widows. Each bow is a little different and I have to concentrate harder on the fundamentals, consequently shooting better groups. I believe that is one of the reasons so many guys claim their new Doe Swatter recurve shoots better for them than anything else they have ever shot before. It probably does.

I have come to the conclusion that regardless of how dedicated we are to the bale, longer distance practice or just putting the hours in shooting in general, we become stagnant after awhile when shooting the same bow constantly. With me anyway, I believe my brain just gets bored and goes into auto pilot. Up to a certain point I guess I can subscribe to that "Beware of the man who only has one bow" theory, but for those of us who have shot an abnormal number of arrows in our lives and continue to do so, I don't think that is necessary a good thing. Switching around occasionally kicks us out of auto pilot and makes us work our way through the shot with surprising results.

Makes a hell of a case for buying a new bow occasionally anyway doesn't it? ;)
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Yohon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:57 am

:D Whatever works brother!!!! I always tell the wheel guys that I shoot 3d with that if they want to take their compound shooting up a few notches to get a stickbow and learn to shoot it well, so I see no reason why it wouldnt work the other way around either 8-)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Yohon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:04 am

Great point Randy......its not the bow its just switching around that "wakes" you up......you old guys come up with some good stuff now and again :twisted:

23 and 24's?...thats 275 or better on an indoor round.....I might have to get a longbow now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:11 am

I didn't say EVERY end was a 23 or a 24. :lol: I have a real knack for shooting a 24 and following it up with a 9 or something equally stupid. I have probably shot over 20 indoor rounds this year with the Titan and I think my best was a 255 or so but my average is still right at 240. I have learned that it takes a lot of good ends to make up for one bad end.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:12 am

....and who the hell you callin' old?
Stykshooter

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:10 am

About 5 years ago my buddy had a nice matthews he wanted to sell and a guy at work wanted to look at it. The bow ended up at my house and of course I had to shoot it. I was shooting a recurve then and after about 30-40 arrows with the recurve I picked up the compound, went to 20 yards and shot a few really tight groups. I put it down and when I picked the recurve up I shot better than I had been shooting. Thats what sold me that its not the bow its the indian pullng the string, and whats between his ears.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:10 am

Oh yeah, I would never, ever call Randy old..... I enjoy his camp cooking way too much !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby rwsbow » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:54 am

I think it is because we get complacent (read as sloppy)when we shoot the same bow all the time..we forget to pay attention to the placement of the grip, finger pressure spots on the string,anchor good and tight,etc.

It is also important to hold long enough to let the bow arm settle down..a condition that the compound bow (or lighter weight "girlie" bow :) ) allows you to do...it's amazing how accurate you can get when YOU control the shot rather than the bow weight controlling it..

Most of all, sometimes it's just plain fun to play with new toys!!!... :lol:
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Gino Bruno » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:38 pm

honestly, i think it is the compound and the letoff thing. i shoot a lot of different bows all the time (not good i know). infact, i have 4 recurves that are always strung and they get shot constantly. 2 are titans but one is set up with 52lbs limbs and sights, the other is barebow and 43lbs. the one with sights has mediums and the barebow has long limbs. the others are the zebra/mac bow i built in the long winded build along, and the other is my firefly set up at 38lbs with longs. then there is the myriad of other bows that i have that i do actually shoot from time to time. also, the compound and the recurve with sights i shoot split finger with a lower anchor to allow for shooting with sights. i'd say if anything, i switch bows so much that is is probably a liability in my shooting progression.

the thing with the compound is, the letoff causes me to really be aware of the conclusion because if i focus too much on the release, i'll jack it up because getting off the string is not as easy with the light holding weight...... it forces me to keep my focus on the spot and i can hold that focus much longer before my back muscles start protesting. the one thing i forgot to mention is, i have also noticed that i physically can hold a bit longer with the single strings before any strain starts to break my focus. i kind of think of it like when i learned to do the iron cross..... at first, i could only hold it for maybe a second or two but after a few short weeks of using a method that allowed me to take as much weight off as i needed to hold the position, i could hold my full body weight for MUCH longer. the conditioning of the muscles with lighter weight allowed for longer periods of full power with the same amount or less strain than when i first started and could only hold it for a second or two.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum