Skip to content

Shooting when tired

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Shooting when tired

Postby MGoBlue98 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 pm

Recommitting myself to my recurve. As I've started to shoot a lot more, I am noticing that as I get tired, I miss up and left. Any thoughts on what is breaking down that would cause this????
MGoBlue98

Re: Shooting when tired

Postby topcamp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:15 pm

most likely because of fatigue..........you are not griping the bow the same everytime .........hence torque is now in play at every loose. the pressure on your bow hand relative to your grip has to remain a constant.......regardless of fatique.........without that.........when you tire........your bow takes on a new personality in a heart beat...........

joe or yohon would be your best go to for a better answer...................
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:16 pm

When I shoot high and/or left it usually indicates a bow hand issue. To my notion, nothing will create bad habits more easily than shooting while fatigued. Consistancy is the key to shooting these darn things and someday I hope to achieve it. :) A lighter bow or less arrows would be my suggestion.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Bender » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:27 am

Yeah, what Jim and TC said. I don't know where you're at with your shooting but during my first year or two, I would do the "manly" thing and just keep on shooting. Which would lead my mind to making adjustments, or even believing that I had to start all over because my bow was out tune, or God knows what. Great for my stamina, but seriously detrimental to my actual shooting abilities, because sure enough from one day to the next I was always changing something.
Now when I feel the fatigue dragging on me during practice, I pay attention. I dig down deep, execute one last really well executed shot, and then I'm done.
Because I now have a better idea of how I am there are even times when I will go out to practice, and right away I know that it just isn't going to be pretty. I stop right away and just go build arrows or something. When its bad, like I'm really tired, or those damned voices in my head won't shut up, it is actually better to not shoot, than it is force myself into making bunches and bunches of bad shots thereby creating doubts, destroying confidence, or worse yet deciding that something needs to be changed.
Bender

Postby MGoBlue98 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:49 am

Thanks all, that makes sense. I've learned to stop shooting once I get to that point, I just wanted to understand what was breaking down so I can concentrate on it.

Bender, I know exactly what you mean. I used to try and fight through it and would just end up frustrated and with my confidence completely gone. Now I just stop.
MGoBlue98

Postby KCummings » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:54 am

First and foremost, welcome to the board MGoBlue, it's always nice to see another Michigander around here. (Cadillac here)

:mrgreen:

You've received some good advice here, I was just curious if you cant your bow when you shoot or do you hold your bow vertical?

Years ago, I used to shoot with a cant, about 2:00. When I would start to get tired, my misses were as you describe, up and left. I started to notice that most of the truly good shooters in our sport shot with a vertical bow. I switched to a veritcal position and many of those fliers went away, especially when I started to get tired.

I may be all wet here, but I believe that the vertical stance is the most natural. (at least it is for me) It's how we all normally stand. A canted position is a "forced" position and you have to "work" to maintain it thoughout the shot. When a right handed shooter starts to get tired, upon release, if he doesn't work to maintain the cant, his body, head and bow arm all want to return to their normal default position, which is up and left. A very tiny movement of the bow arm before the arrow is gone is magnified greatly 10, 20, or 30 yards down range.

In addition, when you have to work to maintain a position, fatigue sets in even quicker.

Just my opinion, but something to think about.

KPC
"On their deathbed, no one ever said, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
KCummings

Postby BK in TEXAS » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:30 am

it's always nice to see another Michigander around here. (Cadillac here)
I didn't know you were in Cadillac, Kevin. I used to hunt the Manistee Forest just NW of you all the time back in the early 90's :)
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby KCummings » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:35 am

Yep BK, I'm a lifer. My cabin is smack dab in the middle of the Manistee National Forest.

Small world huh?

:mrgreen:

KPC
"On their deathbed, no one ever said, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
KCummings

Postby MGoBlue98 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:36 pm

Great point on the cant. I do shoot with a slight can't. And now that I think of it, the problem definitely got worse after I started canting the bow. However, my accuracy seemed to get more consistent with the cant...seemed like my mind liked the site window better. I suppose accuracy is the most important thing. Means I just have to shoot more often and keep getting bow arm into better shape.

Thanks to all.
MGoBlue98

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:23 pm

The only advantage to holding your bow vertically over canting it is that vertically is easier to repeat.

To get a good shot, as has already been said several times, you have to perform the elements of your shot exactly the same way every time. It's easier to see if you're off vertically than if you're off on a canted angle, but if you can repeat what you're doing every time either approach will work.

Fatigue makes it easier, and much more likely, to start changing something in your shot without knowing it. I second Bender's advice. When the shot seems to be getting weird, take your time, run your shot checklist in your head, make one last "good shot" - good meaning that you did your system properly and quit - no matter where the hell the arrow goes. At that point you just want to leave your body with a memory of the proper shot mechanics, so concentrate on those and not so much on the "spot"
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum