Skip to content

Back Tension

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Back Tension

Postby BittenintheMitten » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Since I have started the whole back tension thing, I have not had the short draw syndrome, or target panic. I really do a fair amount of bale work, and when done right, it seems like a mechanical back tension release, in that the fingers come off the string naturally. Anyone else have similiar results? Any tips to make the shot more consistent? Fire away.
BittenintheMitten

Re: Back Tension

Postby Yohon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:03 am

Make it more consistant? Take the time to make sure your putting your fingers on the string the same on every shot and if your using the back tension the same, then you have created as consistent a "release" as you can possibly do.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby BEN MAHER » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:15 pm

A few days at the bale and I noticed an immediate improvement in my release and consistency.
I have now gone from utterly shit to not so utterly crap . lol
BEN MAHER

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:30 pm

BEN MAHER wrote:A few days at the bale and I noticed an immediate improvement in my release and consistency.
I have now gone from utterly shit to not so utterly crap . lol

Hey! I resemble that remark too. :lol:
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Ranger B » Wed May 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Rod has by far made the biggest impact on my shooting. I really took MBB vol. 3 to heart and yes I've experienced what you have. I also do a lot of bale and I video myself a lot. I can really see what I'm screwing up in the video and it's better to see it vs. someone telling you what you are doing wrong. I had disk replacement surgery Monday but when I get back to shooting I am going to play with my release a bit. If you watch MBB vol. 4 watch where Rod is anchoring. I called him to talk about and it makes a lot of sense. When I anchor up in the corner of my mouth I have more trouble getting proper alignment. My elbow is not back far enough so I'm still fighting the string. If you come on back a bit you get the elbow back so I am going to move my anchor back farther on my face. I'll probably really whack my nose with that. LOL
Ranger B
Ranger B

Postby tradspirit » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:53 am

I have found that moving my anchor up and back on my face allows my draw elbow to move more easily to the rear to achieve the surprise release that occurs with proper back tension. I now anchor with index finger on cheekbone and thumb web under jaw (fits my face), and also find that pulling more with center finger (split finger) gives me a cleaner release. Learned it all from Hank and have improved a great deal. Jim
tradspirit

Postby marc » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 pm

tradspirit wrote: and also find that pulling more with center finger (split finger)

I knew that came from hank as soon as I read it. Seems to increase arrow speed a bit too!
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum