Skip to content

Oldtimer's kicking in. Form question

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Oldtimer's kicking in. Form question

Postby Bender » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:57 am

Given RH shooter, when the bow swings to the left on release what element of form is incorrect? And when it swings to the right? Misalignment and no back tension?
Bender

Re: Oldtimer's kicking in. Form question

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:08 pm

At least when I achieve those results, the swing to the left results from dropping my bow hand; the swing to the right is basically a collapse, i.e, failure to maintain back tension through conclusion.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby BK in TEXAS » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:30 pm

I swing left if that's which way the deer is running :P
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby longbowguy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:19 pm

Yo, Bender, how ya doin?
That swing to the left is perfectly normal, in fact nearly unavoidable for a righty. The bow arm pivots on the fulcrum of the left shoulder, which is necessarily to the left of the line between target and string hand. Upon release the bow jumps forward down the in line, but as the arm reaches near full extension it and the bow can go no further in that direction so must pivot left a bit to dispel the remaining energy. Anything else would suggest some faulty force or jerk out of the target line. Cheers, lbg
longbowguy

Postby Bender » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi lbg! How's Colorado? A bit chilly? Well you always did say you wanted to live in a cooler climate :D
Annette sez Hi!
To the right is collapse. Duh. The things we forget Fuzzy. And yes there is always some sort of reaction at the shot, always, to some degree, I don't care what anybody says. You're right lbg, its physics. But I've seen it at least twice now where it was way out there to the left, while practicing for the indoor, and I want to put a stop to it like RIGHT NOW, before it grows. Back to the bale down in the garage.
Bender

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum