Skip to content

tail wag ?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

tail wag ?

Postby jeffhalfrack » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:44 pm

I have a question, I have a self bow with very little if any center shot cut in the bow, what causes a side to side tail wag , I have tried defferent weight arrows and points and my wood bare shaft kit all hits so far to the left it's funny just asking as when the hunting season slows down for me I'll get to tunnig right now shooting anything but my hunting tackle is bad mojo!!!! thanks for any feed back JEFFW
jeffhalfrack

Re: tail wag ?

Postby rwsbow » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Probably way too stiff .....what direction does the tail end of the arrow kick when you release it?..sometimes ya gotta shoot a much weaker arrow when being shot from a non-center shot bow...just a few thoughts...
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby jeffhalfrack » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:03 pm

I took the handle down about 1\4" on the arrow side, but to answer your question I think nock to the left, point faceing right, and far to the left on target I shoot right handed, after taking the handle down it shoots better and the tail wag is there not as bad, I'm still wondering whats going on ? thanks I hope to hear more on this JEFFW
jeffhalfrack

Postby Bender » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Pretty sure rws called it. And although some may consider it a rather awkward way to tune a bow, what you did to the riser tends to confirm it.
Bender

Postby Don Teter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:17 pm

One of the biggest eye openers I experienced when I began to shoot self bows which were not cut close to center was that I had shooting form flaws which were not allowing the arrow to align well with the bow handle. I could get away with this when shooting recurves, hybrids, and even some traditional handle longbows, as long as the handle was cut close to center shot. I didn't even realize I had such alignment problems.

Selbows, however, exaggerated my arrow alignment issues. Decreasing arrow spine, lengthening the arrow, and tapering the shaft, etc., all help, of course. However, changing my form made even more of a difference for me.
Don Teter

Postby Neobowman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:03 am

when ever i get tail wag (side to side) rather than porpoise (up n down) i find i need focus on my follow thru and release but that is just me n i only have a bear griz not a self bow yet.
Neobowman

Postby jeffhalfrack » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:12 pm

No self bow yet??? dude, don't do it!!!!! you think glass bows are addictive?? with self bows you can't even run over a branch after a wind storm and friggin wonder???? could that have shot 170 fps??????? :? JEFFW
jeffhalfrack

Postby Neobowman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:16 pm

oooo i laughed too hard my sides hurt lol yes i do see how that is very true i made 3 self bows but that was eons ago back in the early to mid 80's and my cousins will not give them back but maybe w/in a yr time ill have my first bought self bow for u see i dont have tools nor knowledge enough to attempt to make one though i think it would be cool to make one id prob be lost again
Neobowman

Postby JackDaw » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:01 am

jeffhalfrack wrote:I have a question, I have a self bow with very little if any center shot cut in the bow, what causes a side to side tail wag , I have tried defferent weight arrows and points and my wood bare shaft kit all hits so far to the left it's funny just asking as when the hunting season slows down for me I'll get to tunnig right now shooting anything but my hunting tackle is bad mojo!!!! thanks for any feed back JEFFW

Er, wait a minute, isn't some tail wag inherent with a self-bow, with the correctly spined arrows?
I'm thinking that the arrow will bend quite a bit to clear the handle; to expect it to all of a sudden not wag, after
clearing the bow, is this possible? Just wunderin' out loud....don't mean to de-rail the thread.
""Reduce the variables! Reduce the variables dammit!"" from Bender Sr.
JackDaw

Postby Bender » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Jack, keep in mind that the oscillations (paradox) required to get an arrow to cleanly slip around the riser, especially a non-centershot riser happen faster than the naked can see. Tail wag that CAN be seen is indicative that something like spine is off or release is really bad and the arrow is leaving the bow so badly that the fletch end is getting knocked off to one side, along with the paradox oscillations that are also happening. Given that jeffhalfrack also said that his self bow is hitting WAY left coupled with the visible wag, my first guess is spine is too stiff. Common error, especially if one is new to self bows and what I would call a "shoot around" riser, that is a riser that isn't cut towards center at all, such as how an ELB is made.
Bender

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum