Skip to content

One lump or two?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: One lump or two?

Postby twotoekenn » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:23 pm

methinks you should seek a refund.
twotoekenn

Postby whump » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:03 am

Whump Sez; yep I am glad I shoot a canted bow and my nuts are gladder! Instead of the refund I would rather just have a one piece bow made by the new Turkey creek owner, I will talk to him about it after deer season and give him time to catch up on the out standing orders.I killed 3 deer last year with the black riser takedown--the TC bows point and shoot right where you are looking and are super easy to tune an arrow to.I whacked a six point last season shooting through a silver dollar size hole in some beach tree limbs and it was a snap shot.One of the best pointing and shooting bows I have ever dropped a string on----when they are in one piece[lol]. No more bow bolts for me unless I am wearing a fiberglass cup and a bike helmet . My bruises are about gone now and I have the Benchmark bow cooking on the target, I have taken quite a few animals with it in the past and I am looking forward to spilling some blood in about 10 days--hopefully not mine. Hunt safe.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby Festivus » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:20 am

Why is that the bowbolts are "always" blowing up? It seems like a good idea and quality product but the bowbolt always comes up when talking about two piece systems as being very sensitive to design and material considerations.

I think the connexion hinge is ugly as hell but not too many blowups and the sleeve is not too popular anymore but you really don't hear too many blowups about those either.
Festivus

Postby whump » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:55 am

Whump sez; I think the knurled sections of the female side of mine were not cleaned up properly. There is plenty of glue on the wood of the riser but the glue turned loose form the knurling on the metal. 4 nolz sez; he has good luck with them so he obviously has the right formula for putting them together. He uses the small bolt system and I am pretty sure I have the large set up so it took away from the wood needed to make it strong and the glue turned loose. Installing the bolt system is not for every boyer and I wish I had just stuck with one piece bows. I can tell you if you are sleepy and you are shooting a bolt system and it turns loose --you will immediately get wide awake when it smacks you in the head. I was awakened twice in less than 30 minutes. A hard head is a beautiful thing sometimes and shooting a canted bow is keeping me from typing in a high voice. HUnt safe.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby whump » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:26 pm

Whum Sez; Did a repair job on the turkey creek bow b0lt in an attempt to make this bow one piece. So far so good, after pulling it on the tillering tree about 50 times, while hiding in the bathroom , and after 100 shots it is still holding together.I gave it plenty of room on the first few pulls on the tree, because this bow has already bucked me off once and stomped me a few times to boot.

I started this project by removing the lower section of the bow bolt and then turning down an oak dowel to fit the two sections. Using urac 185 I glued up the section that blew apart with the dowel in place hoping that all these pieces would bond together and bond to the dowel. You can see I had 3 clamps as the riser was split all the way to the glass lams. I spread the crack open and gave it a liberal supply of glue and clamped it together for about 12 hours.

I wrapped the upper portion with 80lb spiderwire adding super glue to the wraps as I went along to keep everything tight until I could tie it off

Next I built a jig to pull the two halves together and it was a flying bitch getting the two sections to line up correctly but I managed with a lot of cussing and talking to the bow like a whore. Another application of Urac 185 and 12 hours later I unclamped and the bow was in one piece again.

Next I wrapped both sections double with the 80lb no stretch spiderwire and the deed was done.

I slipped up on the thing to shoot it first few times but it seem to be shooting pretty good with no cracking sounds in the process.
new folder 062.jpg
new folder 062.jpg (132.2 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
Attachments
new folder 065.jpg
new folder 065.jpg (203.47 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
new folder 063.jpg
new folder 063.jpg (213.79 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
whump

Postby whump » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:29 pm

A few shots just to show this mutha who's boss.
Attachments
new folder 064.jpg
Any suggestions on a coating for the spiderwire before I cover it in leather would be appreciated.
new folder 064.jpg (231 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
whump

Postby bearauto11 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Nice Recovery!!!
bearauto11

Postby whump » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Whump Sez; I hope the next thread doesn't read--- three lumps or four ? It feels stable right now but that could be this tricky bow luring me into a false sense of security. If anybody else has tried this and got beat over the head , let me know so I can quit while I am ahead. Hunt safe.
whump

Postby whump » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:17 am

Whump Sez: This one looks a little better. I dyed the wrap before applying and it matches the riser wood . I might consider re-wrapping the other riser so it won't scare small children as I got a little carried away with the wrapping ; but I have a tendency to tie stuff up before I play with it if it has a history of knocking knots on my head. Hunt safe.
Attachments
knot head.jpg
knot head.jpg (200.3 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
whump

Postby whump » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:09 am

Whump sez; well the brown bow opened up a crack and I heard it start so I avoided a knot on the head and upon close inspection of the ebony riser it looks like a small crack on the way----I'm quitting while I am ahead of the game,as I still have both eyes and both nuts. It is back to the Benchmark or Hill bow this season. It was worth a try for 20 dollars worth of glue to try a repair but sometimes junk just needs to go in the scrap pile. I got about 300 shots from the rosewood riser and around 600 shots from the Ebony riser . Hunt safe.
whump

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum