Skip to content

One lump or two?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

One lump or two?

Postby whump » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:56 pm

Whump Sez; Ok Pirates this is a gypsy curse.! I had 2 bowbolt takedowns break on me in one day. 2 days ago I was shooting from my stand and My turkey creek bowbolt broke in the riser right in the bolt area. It knocked a knot on my head and bruised my hip bone. I climbed down and came in the house and my wife wanted to know what happened. I told her 2 deer jumped me from behind, knocked me to the ground and stomped on me a little but I fought um off. I figured that break was a fluke so I strung up my spare Turkey creek bowbolt, shot it about 6 times and it broke in the same place, knocked another knot on top of the knot that was already there and hit me just below the ribs. This time I also got a split in my right eyebrow. I came back in the house [ bleeding this time] and my wife said you better take a gun with you if you are going back out again cause those are gang deer and they are going to kill you. I am glad I shoot a canted bow or my nuts would be up under my chin and I would be typing in a high voice. So there it is, a gypsy curse for sure--two bows self destruct in less than 30minutes. I have a compound knot on my head, a split eyebrow and a bruise on my side the size of a softball the local deer are rolling on the hill side and hunting season is 2wks off. ---I don't know what to tell you if you have a bowbolt bow except slip up on the damn thing to shoot it. HUnt safe.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Re: One lump or two?

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:21 pm

JIm Sez, you're a lucky rascal Whump! Glad you weren't "seriously" hurt. I wonder if there have been others experiencing trouble with those bolts?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby whump » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:45 pm

Whump Sez; When the bolts first came out I heard a few bad things about them but it was mostly slack in the joint or a big gap in the front due to a bad installation. Silly me thinking the bugs were out. I shoot heavy shafting too, 680gns from a 53lb bow so shock feeding back to the bow was not an issue. It looked like bad glue maybe , as the bolt knurling did not have any glue in the knurls. I had a tight installation as you had to really put some pressure on the joint to get it to fit together and there was only a hairline gap in the front when the bow was strung.Both of those bows were built on the same glue batch. I will be going back to my Benchmark 60lb bow this season and if that one breaks I am going to a civil defense shelter and hole up until I can figure out how to get this curse off. I just can't seem to shake the image of shooting a vertical bow and catching that bottom limb in the nuts, a saw mill crew would have turned out early if that had happened as I would have sounded like a steam whistle , and WWII air raid siren going off together. HUnt safe.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby jeffhalfrack » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:09 pm

Dang!!!! glad you made it you got something to hunt with then ?? if so I kill the cat from next door! (they need to die any way) that should lift curse!!! JEFFW
jeffhalfrack

Postby Stykshooter » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:10 pm

Last time I was pretty sure that a curse had been placed on me I told a semi willing lass that she needed to sleep with me in order to lift it. Don't know that it helped with the curse much but she was fairly gulible.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby 4nolz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:15 pm

there is no problem with proper installation-best system out there.PROBLEM is guys didnt leave enough wood in the grip-there are 2 sizes and I wouldnt use the larger one on any riser-the smaller one is fine-but you HAVE to have wood left overit-probably at least 1/2".
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:17 pm

Stykshooter wrote:Last time I was pretty sure that a curse had been placed on me I told a semi willing lass that she needed to sleep with me in order to lift it. Don't know that it helped with the curse much but she was fairly gulible.

If that line worked, the curse had already been lifted.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby whump » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:30 pm

Whump Sez; Big or small on the system--I just keep thinking about those nuts! I have a bruise on my side the size of a saucer that looks like a blood blister and I can't imagine that on the low hangers. On both bows the female side broke out . Yep I was lucky to get out with a few bumps and bruises. Oh well if your gonna be a pirate you can't be pissing and moaning about a scratch or two--lets go kill something! And if sleeping with ethnic groups will lift the curse I will do it--come to think of it, I did that when there was no curse. Hunt safe
whump

Postby Bender » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Oh Holy Crap! I'm glad you're relatively OK. Failure analysis always intrigues me. Got any pics of the wreckage? Since you noted the lack of glue in the knurling I think you probably nailed the failure.
Bender

Postby JackDaw » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Glad you're still in one piece there Whump, mebbe add a "Whump sez - shoot safe" too :?:
Crimmy, two bows in one day, that oughta mean some kinda reverse inside-out
mojo-juju that entitles you to a giant 12 pointer :mrgreen:
""Reduce the variables! Reduce the variables dammit!"" from Bender Sr.
JackDaw

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum