Skip to content

Vanes and Broadheads

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Vanes and Broadheads

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Single bevel broadheads come in either LW or RW; if you use vanes does it matter which you use? :?
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Re: Vanes and Broadheads

Postby BK in TEXAS » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:00 pm

What are vanes :? :?
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby njstykbow » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Paul,

The offset does matter. I think they are supposed to match up...lw with left off-set...rw with right off-set. I've never shot them, but that's the way I recall it.

Joe
njstykbow

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:48 pm

Joe,

Thanks. Might as well stay with feathers then.

paul
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:45 pm

Lamont Grainger told me he was running left wing feathers on right hand Grizzley heads for years before they became all the rage and they blew through deer all the same as anything else.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby BK in TEXAS » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:29 am

Feral Donkey wrote:Lamont Grainger told me he was running left wing feathers on right hand Grizzley heads for years before they became all the rage and they blew through deer all the same as anything else.

Yup......penetration shouldn't change. The only "theoretical" advantage to matching the feathers and bevel is that you might get more internal twisting of the head since the head is already rotating the direction it wants to on impact.......again, never tested it...... but that's the theory as I understand it :?
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Quint » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:15 am

Feral Donkey wrote:Lamont Grainger told me he was running left wing feathers on right hand Grizzley heads for years before they became all the rage and they blew through deer all the same as anything else.

I have used them for years, single bevel one way feathers the other. The shaft twists so slowly, even with radical helical, they pass through.
And even with low poundage (around 40#). I do not buy into the hype about matching fletch to the single bevel bullshit. Lamont is right!!!!
Quint

Postby Bender » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:05 am

I imagine that matching your helical and/or offset to your broadhead can't hurt. But the idea behind it is that it imparts even more torgque to the broadhead when it hits bone thereby splitting the bone apart so the arrow can continue to move forward through the animal with less resistance. Lets say the shaft would blow through the bone regardless, but with matching bevel and fletch the hole is jacked open bigger and the arrow won't drag on the bone so badly and so will reach organs. Great. So how much torque do you really think that that bevel and spinning arrow can impart? A couple of inch-pounds? Maybe? I need to figure out the math, but deep down I think we all know its just smoke and mirrors.
Bender

Postby Quint » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:14 am

Yep, smoke and mirrors. :D
Quint

Postby Aries » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Agree makes no difference at all. The size of the bevel on a broadhead so so small, it cannot make a great if any at all difference to talk about. Just as with anything else, make sure the head is on properly and square to the shaft. Those whom I've seen shoot and complain typically just shot lousey and blamed anything and everything else other then there shooitng skills.
Aries

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum