Skip to content

They keep showing weak.

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

They keep showing weak.

Postby Captain Quint » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:21 pm

I am shooting an Excel riser with Black Max wood limbs. About 35#. Arrows 1816's bareshaft full length with 125 points. They show weak. Knock left, way left. I even shot 1916's still weak. The 1816's are almost sideways. I have tried all the things to stiffen the arrow but no luck. Someone said that something in my form must be overriding any adjustment I make any ideas? They do shoot ok with feathers.
Captain Quint

Re: They keep showing weak.

Postby rwsbow » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Just a few things to check..

Is the centershot set up correctly...arrow tip slightly outside the string...?
Is there any shaft contact with the shaft on the sight window.?.should be a noisy "clank" if there is...
Depending on your draw length, you may need 1916's...have you bareshafted them?
What type of string material are you using?...might need a stiffer arrow...
How many strand string are you using?......a skinny string will add extra "oomph" to an arrow..
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Bender » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Unless they are hitting the riser and clanking as rws suggests they are showing weak because they are weak. I assume you're leaving them full length for a reason rather than cutting them. Try this go back to the 1916 and go to a lighter point. And keep going lighter. See what happens. Although the set may not be what you want to eventually shoot, you will figure out what's really going on.
Bender

Postby Captain Quint » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:45 am

rswbow
Yes on centershot setup.
None that I can detect.
I draw 30". I pull the tip of the 1816 all the way up to the rest.
I will try the 1916 again. I fed the info into Stu's calculator and the 1916 came up close.
The limbs are at their weakest on the riser I can tighten them down all the way may get 2#?
D97 it's 14 strand I think.
Thanks
Thanks Bender
Captain Quint

Postby JackDaw » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:52 am

From Bender: "they are showing weak because they are weak."
Yup! Go with what your arrows are telling you, even if it's "off the charts" a bit.

I'm shooting an old #38 target bow, I had to shorten my 1816's so they just barely
stay on the elevated rest at my draw length, and I had to drop way down in point weight.

Best thing to do is bareshaft test at 18-20 yards and somehow get six each of different
spined aluminiums, 3 fletched and 3 bare, bareshaft testing does work.
Good luck to you :mrgreen: it's a beauty way to go when you see a bare shaft
go flying down range straight and true, then you know your fletches won't be
working overtime.
""Reduce the variables! Reduce the variables dammit!"" from Bender Sr.
JackDaw

Postby Captain Quint » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:14 pm

Thanks Jack. Since the charts seemed to favor the 1816 but just barley at my draw I was a little confused. I am going to try the 1916 and see how they do.
Captain Quint

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:18 am

Any news?

I always try different point weights to confirm readings.... screw some hunnerts on there, or some 85's and see what happens... if they STILL show weak...throw some 175's on there and see what happens... My first thought was that they were too stiff and giving reverse indication from striking the riser, but since you draw 30"... Id say yeah, they are too weak.
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Captain Quint » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:22 pm

Hornseeker thanks for the idea. I have not got to a scale yet to determine what the exact weight is. I tried an old arrow that my son had from a compounder 2517 I think or maybe 2512 ?. I just wand to see if something showed stiff and boy it did. I will try your idea. It's about to worry me to death but fletched at 31 inches they fly good or as good as I shoot. I cut the bareshaft to 30 and it's still shows weak but better. Of course I don't try any broadheads yet. Wonder what would happen if I moved the center shot so the arrow is a little to the right of the string? I think that would weaken a stiff arrow. But I guess I will just weigh it and go from there. Thanks I will let you know.
Captain Quint

Postby AROMAKR » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:21 am

Quint:
A 1816@30" spines 35#, if your bow is cut to center at the shelf it will need probably 2016's if its past center increase that to 2018's. You have to increase the arrow spine for bow cut too or past center.
Bob
AROMAKR

Postby Finger_Flinger » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:56 pm

After recently tuning my compound that I fingershoot, I found that string silencers have quite an effect on arrow spine.

I started tuning my bow with 2317's cut @ 29.75", using cat whiskers, which were far too stiff. I eventually ended cutting some shafts @ 30.75" & they spined perfectly. The same day I had my 30.75" arrows cut, I had string leeches tied into my string. I immediately found my 30.75's were now way to weak, while my 29.75"'s were perfect.

What I'm trying to say, in a long winded way, is that your string silencers can have quite an effect on arrow spine.

Perhaps trying catwhiskers or beaver balls if you're currently using string leeches or similar.
Yeah, I still fingershoot compounds..
Finger_Flinger

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum