Skip to content

Clicker questions...

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Clicker questions...

Postby KCummings » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Ok, I realize I'm kind of late to the "clicker party" but I happened to be at the archery shop the other day and thought I'd pick up a clicker and give it a go. In over 35 years of shooting a bow, I not only have never used one myself, but I have never even shot a bow that had one on it.

For those that use them, I have a few questions. First, in the instructions, it says to mount the clicker on the top limb, about nine or ten inches down from where the string touches the limb. That's fair enough but I started thinking:

1. What if I want to change limbs, then I have to have a number of clickers.

2. Having that unit mounted to the working part of only one limb has to mess with something, if nothing more than speed.

3. Why couldn't a guy mount the clicker to the riser, that way any limbs could be used without having to have multiple clickers.

4. If it's mounted to the riser, and you are shooting in a tournament that doesn't allow them, all you have to do is unhook the string and you are good to go without having the unit still mounted to your limb.

Soooo, this is the way I mounted it. (pictured below) Other than the clicker string being a little longer than if it were mounted to the top limb, is there a reason why this is not a good idea? Seems to work just fine. I modified the clicker by scrapping the chain all together, installed Velcro on the mounting plate and the top plate and used moleskin on the underside of the "clicker". It is VERY quiet this way but being mounted on the riser, I "feel" the click in the grip more than I hear it.

Question 1. Other than the clicker string being a little longer than if it were mounted to the top limb, is there a reason why this is not advisable?

Question 2. I have it set so when I reach my anchor, I still have to pull through about a quarter of an inch or so in order to make it click. Is this correct?

Question 3. Do most of you simply use the clicker as a draw check to make sure that you don't short draw or creep, or are you using it as a "trigger" to release? The Olympic shooters seem to use it as a trigger, and any aiming is done prior to pulling through the clicker.

What say you?

:?

Thanks for your advice...

KPC
Attachments
IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG (97.9 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
"On their deathbed, no one ever said, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
KCummings

Re: Clicker questions...

Postby Festivus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:37 pm

I've used one attached to the riser too. I think that the instructions want you to put it on the limbs because the string is shorter. When it is attached to the riser you sometimes have to untangle it but that's not a big deal. I like mine on the riser too and I got rid of the chain too.

I like what you did with the velcro. Sounds like a good setup if you want to take it out hunting.
Festivus

Postby KCummings » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:41 pm

Yeah, my intention was to use it hunting... if I liked it. There is very little "click" to be heard, but I can feel it very plainly in the grip.

So do you use the click as a release "trigger" or no?

KPC
"On their deathbed, no one ever said, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
KCummings

Postby Yohon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:16 pm

#1...yep

#2 Ive got mine anchored there and dont see any change....your right there probably is somethin goin on there but I aint good enough to see it

#3 Some guys do mount it to the riser...there is no "clicker police" as far as I know :lol: so you can mount it where you want. :P For hunting I found having it on the riser that made the string long and tended to get hung up on briars marsh weeds etc.

#4 Why couldnt you do that same with it mounted on the limb, I leave bases on all the bows I have....oh thats right the base is making the bow shoot different for you so you would have a problem....Note to self....dont shoot with KPC at Comptons ;)

Question 1 Nope
Question 2 sounds about perfect to me, thats how I shoot mine
Question 3 I use it as a trigger, your right it started out as a draw check but quickly went towards the trigger. If you click at the trigger you keep the gun powder as consistent as is possible. IF you use it as a draw check there is still the chance that you can vary in draw length.....90 meters you dont want that....whitetail at 20 yards maybe not ;)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby KCummings » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks Yohon...and by the way, happy birthday.

:mrgreen:

Don't sweat shooting with me at Comptons. I wasn't insinuating that I could tell the difference with the clicker mounted to the limb, I was just asking if there WAS a difference. I'm going to try it on the limb, just to make you feel good.

;)

I never thought I really needed a clicker but now I can see where it would be VERY easy to alter your drawlength by and inch or so and still be at anchor (or feel like you are).

:shock:

KPC
KCummings

Postby BK in TEXAS » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:33 pm

KCummings wrote:I never thought I really needed a clicker but now I can see where it would be VERY.....

Watch out...the voices in your head are getting to you :shock:
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:34 pm

I have clickers on five bows and an extra set of limbs. I mount it out pretty close to the end of the limb but down out of the recurve part. I am with Yohon, it might affect something but I am obviously not good enough to recognize it. By keeping it out towards the end of the limb it keeps the string as short as possible. I shot with a guy a couple of years back who mounted his below the grip of his HH longbow. The string was long enough in that position to tangle up on brush and other equipment. I wouldn't think that would be a viable method to mount it for bowhunting. I have hunted with one for three years now and so far haven't hung it up on anything yet.

The first thing I do is cut the chain off of it. I use a piece of bow fishing string (Yohon's idea) and run it through the blade and then through the little metal cup that the chain used to run through. Works fine and is very quiet. I do the same as you did and mole skin mine up so that I can barely hear it. I also have mine set about 1/4" or so longer than my draw length and it allows me to pull through it. Even if I don't pull through till it clicks on a deer, I am still pulling and applying back pressure. I use mine as a trigger. That is the way I was taught shooting F.I.T.A. in college and honestly don't think I could pull through the shot and hold it after the "click" as the release is so ingrained in my psych.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby KCummings » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:04 am

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

I switched the location of the clicker to the top limb last night but I didn't have time to adjust it before I had to leave for a meeting. Hopefully I will have time to mess with it this afternoon.

One thing for sure, this stupid little thing must be doing something as I am feeling a little sore across my back and shoulders, telling me I'm using muscles back there that I wasnt using before.

:?

You "high tech" guys are really getting to me. I tried an elevated rest a while back, but ended up dumping it for the furniture pads again...but at least I tried. Now here I am trying a clicker. What's next, 30.00 a piece single bevel broadheads??

:o :mrgreen: :o

KPC
KCummings

Postby JackDaw » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:39 am

"Question 1. Other than the clicker string being a little longer than if it were mounted to the top limb, is there a reason why this is not advisable? Don't see why not but have not tried it. Wish KingWouldBe would chime in here, he's done it on his bows IIRC.

Question 2. I have it set so when I reach my anchor, I still have to pull through about a quarter of an inch or so in order to make it click. Is this correct? Can't tell without seeing a photo of the clicker plate & string right before the click plate starts to load.

Question 3. Do most of you simply use the clicker as a draw check to make sure that you don't short draw or creep, or are you using it as a "trigger" to release? The Olympic shooters seem to use it as a trigger, and any aiming is done prior to pulling through the clicker. Yes and yes. A really good compound archer told me last year that it is very difficult to aim and release at the same time...that was huge component of TP for me, but with a clicker & sight pin, the shot sequence is divided into two separate parts - visual and auditory. Eyes do the aiming, ears do the releasing (so to speak) no more confusion
"
""Reduce the variables! Reduce the variables dammit!"" from Bender Sr.
JackDaw

Postby KCummings » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:25 pm

Eyes do the aiming, ears do the releasing...

If that's the case JackDaw, I think you might be drawing too far.

:mrgreen: :o :mrgreen:

Seriously, thanks for your input.

KPC
KCummings

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum