Skip to content

Breathing Exercises

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Breathing Exercises

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:52 pm

I was out this evening doing my bridge drills and I noticed a pattern to my breathing during the shot. Curious… do any of you use any specific breathing exercises during your routine, or would it be something to try to avoid? Do any coaches address this?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Re: Breathing Exercises

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Rick Welch recommends taking a deep breath and letting it out before you draw, then inhale as you draw and hold until the shot goes off - pretty much the same thing I've been told about rifle shooting.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:57 pm

I know you've been working with Len C. Has he addressed it at all?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:07 pm

No. All he's said that's even close is to stop and "gather my thoughts" just before drawing. It's sort of the same principle, though - relax and concentrate on the shot, but nothing specific to breathing. I'll ask him though and let you know what he says.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Bender » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:38 pm

Actually I have found that my breathing is the best way to acheive that sought for subconscious release. I take a deep breath as I draw, then hold it until I pass out. Er, ah, no. Wait a minute.That's the UNCONSCIOUS release isn't it? Damn!
No really my pattern is to breath during the draw, and hold my breath for the shot until the release. Is it technically correct? I have no idea. It is a consistent pattern, and so as such I do not actively analyze it. Its just running in the background.
Bender

Postby Yohon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:04 am

"What would Lenny say?"....I bet he would ask...Do you do it the same on each shot? If you said yes...he'd say "bada bing bada boom lets move on" ;) :lol: :lol: From asking around/reading up on the subject it seems to vary a great deal between archers. Find what works for u and do it the same on each shot and leave it at that.

Be careful around Joe tho, he likes to ask you if your breathing while you are shooting :P
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby njstykbow » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:41 am

Be careful around Joe tho, he likes to ask you if your breathing while you are shooting

Hey...I was doing an opinion poll...not trying to screw with your mind! :oops: Honestly.

I do know this...If you're thinking about it...you're about to fail in the shot process.

Joe
njstykbow

Postby Yohon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:28 am

njstykbow wrote:I do know this...If you're thinking about it...you're about to fail in the shot process.

Joe

Now thats something to listen too!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 am

Jim, what you should concentrate on more is what part of Elizabeth Taylor's body does your tab remind you of. Then shoot your damn bow. ;)
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:57 am

Feral Donkey wrote:Jim, what you should concentrate on more is what part of Elizabeth Taylor's body does your tab remind you of. Then shoot your damn bow. ;)

Her current body or her "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" body?

Fuzzy Dog

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum