Skip to content

Lighted nocks for tuning?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Lighted nocks for tuning?

Postby JackDaw » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:37 am

Anybody out there have any experience/success doing some tuning
using lighted nocks ? Curious as to how well they might work, thanks.
""Reduce the variables! Reduce the variables dammit!"" from Bender Sr.
JackDaw

Re: Lighted nocks for tuning?

Postby Crowdog » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:07 am

I use lighted nocks now for everything. They really do help in letting me see how the arrow is flying. I notice lots of things that without the lighted nocks, my aging eyes wouldn't notice. I can see when I've made a bad release or am having arrow problems...plus they do look cool flying towards an animal...
Crowdog

Postby lostaro » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:07 am

I have used the Lumenocks quite a bit. Once you get used to them they really do help with tuning. Used them with bare shafts and there is little doubt what the back end of your arrow is doing on the way to the target. My eyes aren't great so they did well for me....just plain cool too!
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Bender » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:08 pm

Serious question. If you tune with Lumenocks, then you need to leave them don't you? Wouldn't tuning with them, then switching back to standard nocks change dynamic spine due to weight difference?
Bender

Postby njstykbow » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Serious question. If you tune with Lumenocks, then you need to leave them don't you? Wouldn't tuning with them, then switching back to standard nocks change dynamic spine due to weight difference?

Bender,

I think there's 13 gr. difference between a standard nock and the Lumenock...some others may have even less difference. If anything, it will stiffen the spine a little...but I doubt it's anything most of us could recognize. Think of it this way...do you think your spine would change noticibly if you added 13 gr. to the front?

For me...the pluses of them outweigh the minuses.

A great tuning aid and I seldom shoot a hunting arrow w/o one. Can't for the life of me understand how/why some states don't allow them?

Joe
njstykbow

Postby Bender » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:55 pm

Just went to the website. Not bad at all! Obviously its not going to happen with my woodies, but they will work with my carbons. Cool.
Bender

Postby Frank Addington » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:58 pm

If I am not mistaken, I saw Byron Ferguson have some of these in his quiver at a show I caught this year. There were two sports shows in buildings across from each other, I was at one and he was at the other. I think a few of his arrows had these style noks on them.

I have never tried them.... seems like a good idea.
Frank Addington

Postby Lyly » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:16 am

I notice lots of things that without the lighted nocks, my aging eyes wouldn't notice. I can see when I've made a bad release or am having arrow problems...plus they do look cool flying towards an animal...
Lyly

Postby Yohon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:51 am

I really like em and have used the Lumenocks and have just had a terrible time with them not lighting or not staying on. Thats been with both the Titan and the wheel bows. I hunted with Nightpilot last year in the rain and when we were paddling the kayaks in the dark my whole quiver was lit up from the water making the connection and the lights coming on. I have had several time were the arrow lit up on release and hits the ground and goes off. Almost more trouble than they were worth. So this year I've tried the Nockturnal nocks and have been very pleased with them. You have to turn them off manually thru a little hole in the side of the nock but they have lit everytime so I am trying them this year. Never mind the usual right at light/dark shots, they should be worth it to me hunting Sika's in the marsh and finding them in the tall grass and water.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby JackDaw » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:39 am

Well to add to the kaos, I found this today on the Net:

http://archeryreport.com/2009/08/lighted-nock-review/

Seems like one just has to get lucky with the darn things.
""Reduce the variables! Reduce the variables dammit!"" from Bender Sr.
JackDaw

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum