Skip to content

How I came to meet Len Cardinale

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

How I came to meet Len Cardinale

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:43 pm

A few years ago, after trying to shoot RH for a while, and then having my dominant left eye take over after eye surgery, I switched to LH. Those of you who were in Baltimore this spring know how well that went, even after 3 or 4 years. Based on advice from Joe and Yohon I started trying to use Len Cardinale's bale to bridge method to learn how to shoot correctly, and then at Yohon's suggestion went to see Len.

That helped a lot, until I tried to move up to a 43# bow and found that I could not hold my bow arm extended at that weight. My arm simply collapsed on me. I was so bummed by that that I got out a RH 46# bow and tried to shot that. Amazingly it worked much better. Still couldn't hit shit, but at least I could hold the bow. A little medical evaluation later, I'm informed that I have one or more nerves in my cervical spine that are impinged so that the muscles required to extend my right arm against pressure, primarily the triceps, just aren't getting the message. Moreover I was told to either go learn to shoot RH or give up shooting, because someday I was going to collapse and tear hell out of something.

Quitting was unacceptable, so I called Len again and asked him what he thought of the idea of shooting RH. He said that not only could it be done, it might be better 'cause I'd have forgotten whatever bad habits I had from years ago. I went up to beautiful downtown Florham Park, NJ, yesterday and spent about 5 hours with him. At the end of the session he told me to go home and kiss the guy who told me I had to shoot RH, because I was already as good on that side in one day as he'd hoped to be able to get me LH. (That's the one piece of his advice I didn't follow.)

The reason I put this tale in this forum is because of my now deep seated belief that if you want to learn how to shoot or iron out problems in your shooting, somehow scrape up the time and money (he's not very expensive) and go spend a day with Len. He's taught me more in two days than I've learned in years of trying to figure it out from books, DVDs, practice, etc. He'll promise you two things - a simple, repeatable system that you can use to make your shot - not somebody's else's shot, yours that is simple, comfortable for you and repeatable by you. Second, that if you'll put in the necessary work - he never even suggests that simple and easy are the same thing - you'll be far better than you even hoped. Jim Casto, Jr., and others have outlined the work on a couple of threads over the last few months, and there's a lot of it required, and a lot of self-discipline required, especially in forcing yourself to go back from the bridge to the bale when you shoot a "less than" shot on the bridge. But, even with all that work starting at me for the first time in years, I believe that I can become a good archer

So - anybody looking for LH bows, tabs, etc.?

P.S. If I start quoting Len as often as Frank refers to Stacey Groscup, please shoot me for my own good.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Re: How I came to meet Len Cardinale

Postby Frank Addington » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:00 pm

A hero is a hero, and I have met Len and he's a good man. He deserves the good words you have given on his behalf. I don't remember now even where I met him, but I was impressed with him.

You have to remember, Stacy Groscup was like a second father to me. His dad Baptized my dad and I grew up very close to him. When he passed I wanted people to remember him... to know his name. As famous as Fred Bear was, many of today's new archers don't know his name. It's sad. Legends never die if we keep their name going.

Thanks for the cool post. You should add some photos.
Frank Addington

Postby Yohon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:35 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"this stuff is real simple it just aint easy"
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Ted K » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:03 am

OK, so what sorta lefty bows we talkin about here?
Ted K

Ted K

Postby LBB » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Fuzzy, that is great news and I'm excited for you. :D Len is a great guy and a super coach. Can I ask what aiming method you are using? I'm assuming you are still left eye dominant?

Oh and don't worry about quoting others. We both know the way you and almost everyone else here does it has class. ;)
Used to be longbow billy

................s are cool!
LBB

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Thanks, Billy. At this point, as per instructions I'm working on the bale and closing my left eye when I get to what I hope is the "maintainable state" and leaving it that way until conclusion. I figure once I get to the point that I actually have a predictably good shot, I'll go back and find out how to aim it.

Ted, I'll get you a list. Thanks.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Van/TX » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Dang Fuzzy I could have told you that and you probably would have figured it out by yourself anyway. The aiming part is only 5% as you know. As long as the eye you are shooting with is good and your form/release is good it should be a piece of cake. Good luck...Van
USAF Retired (1966 - 1989)
DoD Retired Civil Service (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security
I love this country!!
Van/TX

Postby LBB » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:22 am

How are things progressing Fuzzy?

Van, while I agree that aiming methods can be over blown ( just use the system that works best ), I find it interesting when shooters are using the non dominate eye. I know a couple of shooters that due to injury had to switch hands. They range the target with both eye's open and close or squint their dominate eye to aim. Another guy cant's his bow over big time. Looks like he is getting his dominate eye over the shaft. They all shoot well too.
Used to be longbow billy

LBB

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:34 pm

Billy,

Thanks for asking. I'm surprised how well things are going. I'm scheduled for an October hog hunt and I'm really beginning to believe that I'm going to be able to bring a hog home to smoke. At the moment I'm not shooting far enough to have any real depth perception issue - I've heard "experts" say that out to about 20 yards one eye works nearly as well as two - once you get beyond that it's more of an issue.

Anyway, at this point my sighting system is a lot like using a shotgun. I know a lot of folks who shoot a lot better than I do say you should never see the arrow, but I do and for now it seems to work. I'm guessing that looking down the arrow the way you would down a barrel forces a kind of gap shooting, the same way that if you have a rifle sighted in for 100 yards, you have to shoot over that "point on" elevation for a 150 yard shot and under for a 50 yard shot. OF course in my only occasionally humble opinion, instinctive aiming is really gap that's been practiced so long that your subconscious simply knows what the sight picture is supposed to be at any given distance and sets it up that way.

But, back to the subject I'm really pleased with how things are going. Thanks.

Fuzzy Dog

Postby LBB » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:55 am

That's great Fuzzy!

I've always been aware of the arrow when I shot, can't imagine not wanting to see it. I guess we are all individuals so it makes sense.

I'm thinking I smell smoked pork in your future! Best of luck with your shooting and upcoming hunt. :D
Used to be longbow billy

LBB

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum