Skip to content

Centershot question...it just doesn't compute

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Centershot question...it just doesn't compute

Postby KCummings » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:31 am

Ok guys here's the deal. As most of you know, since I got my Titan over three years ago, I have shot it off the shelf with the felt furniture pad rests.

The way I have the pads set up, my arrow lines up just a hair left of center (right hand shooter). I have always gotten excellent arrow flight that way and my arrows impact right where I want them to.

Ok, here's the deal. I decided that for the heck of it I was going to see what all the fuss was about with an elevated rest so I stuck on a Hoyt Super Rest. By using the thicker mounting pad, I set the center shot the same as my felt pads and shazam...arrow flight is good but my arrow impacts the target 4-6" LEFT of where I am looking. Bare shafts enter the target square but just 4-6" left of where I am looking. Tried it again with Bear Weather Rest that I had laying around...same thing.

Tried the thinner mounting pad, brought the arrow to pretty much center shot...same thing. Impact left.

Tried it with just double sided tape, arrow just a hair INSIDE of center and now impact is still left, but not by much.

:!:

How in the heck can I shoot off the pads with my arrow lining up just left of center and everything is cool but it takes lining my arrow up inside of center to have the right impact with an elevated rest? All things are the same...same arrows, same fletching, same points, same barometric pressure, same brand of underwear, hell I'm even holding my mouth the same.

I just don't get it.

:roll:

All you elevated rest boys, what say you??

:?:

KPC
"On their deathbed, no one ever said, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
KCummings

Re: Centershot question...it just doesn't compute

Postby Feral Donkey » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:43 am

Your side plate is either softer or stiffer. Has the same effect as going with a stiffer or weaker spring in a plunger. I can't think of which right now because I just got off work. But that's what's going on. The tune of your arrows changed very slightly. It's also not exclusive to centershooting bows. I had to go to a cordovan sideplate from velcro to get the 350 Piledrivers to come into tune with my new bow.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Quint » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:50 am

Yep, what FD said. try a softer plate and leave everything else the same.
Quint

Postby Bender » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:56 am

Yes what they said, UNLESS you have managed to accidentally introduce a fletch interference issue with those rests that wasn't there before, or conversely you had interfence, didn't know it, and now its gone. Either scenario is possible. But unlikely as fletch interference usually also shows weird crappy arrow flight. I'll just go ahead and assume that you would have noticed something like that going on. Just wanted to mention it so the possibility doesn't get overlooked.
Bender

Postby KCummings » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:50 am

Ok, but how can I go any "softer" than the little nylon flipper deal that is on the Hoyt Super Rest. I can guarantee that the felt pad has more resistance than that.

Secondly, if it was a fletching interference issue, wouldn't it get worse as I brought my arrow to center and then to the right of center?

That's why I'm just not getting it.

KPC
Attachments
Hoyt Super Rest.jpg
Hoyt Super Rest.jpg (3.54 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
"On their deathbed, no one ever said, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
KCummings

Postby JackDaw » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:21 am

I'm with FD & Bender on this plus I'll add that going to an
elevated rest is a big change, both for the 'tune' and for the
archer.

I'll throw out a bunch of mishmash :mrgreen:

You may have a borderline stiff spine condition that now shows up.

Did you have fletch interference before?

I've heard the 'mantra' that fletched arrows tend to go where they are
pointed, which may or may not be where one thinks they are looking.

If both your fletched and bare shafts are grouping together but landing
left of where you're looking, then is there an alignment 'picture'
change going on here?

You may want to just leave things the way they are for say a week or so
and see if you still have the same trend over time. If you do, I'd say
start fresh with more bareshaft testing.
""Reduce the variables! Reduce the variables dammit!"" from Bender Sr.
JackDaw

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:40 am

I would play with nocking point height a little and see what effect it might have......and don't peek ! let someone else watch for arrow flight issues. Had a simular issue at the BBTC with a friend trying to bare shaft a carbon arrow, NJ Joe helped him out quite a bit and I know nock height did help.....worth a try anyhow. If you have a bare shaft it will tell you more as far as too stiff or too weak. Center shot should stiffen your spine, fletch will work to correct poor flight giving you "straight in" penetration.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby KCummings » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:48 am

superkodiak38 wrote:I would play with nocking point height a little and see what effect it might have...

...If you have a bare shaft it will tell you more as far as too stiff or too weak.

I've tried both SK. The thing I'm not getting is when the arrow is set up just left of center with the pads, impact is perfect. When I set the arrow up in the same spot with the rest, they impact way left. If the arrow was too stiff or too weak, would it not be the same on both?

KPC
KCummings

Postby Bender » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:00 pm

Fletching interference occurs when the arrow doesn't bend around the arrow like it needs to. (Well duh!) Maybe it was before and now its not? If its bad, moving centershot may not make any change. You would just have bad and different bad. Have somebody watch arrow flight for you. Or barring that smear lipstick on the fletching, shoot that arrow and look for big smears of lipstick to be left behind somewere on the riser/rest. Yeah, it will really screw up the fletch on that one arrow but its worth it.
This all is just concerning eliminating fletch interference. The previously noted ideas concerning a change in dynamic spine due to the change in rest are also valid. As for the keeping the same dynamic spine despite change in rests, its just one of those things I wouldn't really want to bet on. I've noticed changes when going from felt to leather side plates, or vice versa. But who really knows for sure?
Bender

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:51 pm

When I set the arrow up in the same spot with the rest, they impact way left. If the arrow was too stiff or too weak, would it not be the same on both?

Probably not. That Hoyt rest is more rigid than the felt pad. The pad was acting as a soft plunger. The rest will probably need a much weaker spine.

Curious... what arrows, length, tip, etc. are you shooting?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum