Skip to content

It happens to everybody

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: It happens to everybody

Postby Frank Addington » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:33 am

It's a mental game at the end of the day.... when you get to the level that many of the top shooters are in--- they have done the work to get to the top---they have good equipment that is properly tuned, they have good form or at least form that is consistant, and they have experience. The difference that seperates them? The mental side of shooting.

Rick let something in his head that day.... he wasn't shooting his top game. Whether it's target panic or a day like he was having where you are just off your game, it can often be the mental side that needs some attention. Get the mental side right and the rest falls into place.

If you don't have a copy, I'd suggest a copy of Al Henderson's "Understanding Winning Archery". Although Al was an Olympic coach, he was also a bowhunter and had a pro shop. He was a great man. This book can help you understand the mental side of the sport.

Rick is a great shooter (from the videos I have seen and friends I know that have taken his class) and has helped many. I have never met him but I'll bet he gets his accuracy back and does fine in future events. I'm also betting when he learns what he was doing wrong that day he can then use it to teach others how to kick bad habits like that.

To me it looked like he was over thinking the shot... holding too long. Just a guess.
Frank Addington

Postby Foamkiller » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:38 pm

Ok since I was there and am one of Rick's friends I would like to set some things straight. First, Rick has had a problem with his neck since the IBO World last August. He has times that he can hardly draw let alone hold. Yet he doesn't use it as an excuse. Second, some one here said that their buddy was 7 or so points ahead of Rick the first day. Could be an absolute fact but then only if that person was also shooting the Masters class from the longer stakes. If you shoot shorter on the same targets you should shoot better. Third, Rick's daughter shot well on Saturday and Rick chose to walk with her on Sunday instead of letting her go alone with the group. How many of you would chose to do that instead of compete no matter where you stood in the standings.

The miss that Rick had in the shoot down just proves that he is human. Now I could brag about myself and how I outlasted 8 or 9 World Champs and even beat one head to head in that shoot down but I won't. Every time we shoot it does not matter whether you beat me or I beat you our lives aren't going to change. It is guaranteed because you beat me that the Brink's truck and the UPS truck won't be showing up at your house because of it. :D
Foamkiller

Postby Frank Addington » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:39 pm

Foam-
Thanks, hopefully that sets the record straight. I hear good things about Rick. Tell him HOWDY when you talk to him.
Never met him.
Frank
Frank Addington

Postby njstykbow » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:25 pm

I was shooting 25 meters at the Mid-Atlantic States Indoor Championship when I was in college. There were four targets on each round bale. I'd shoot...10, 10, mmmmmisss. I'm not talking about missing the target...I'm talking missing the BALE! :oops: Shoot a few more ends...no problems...then 10, 9, mmmisss. No target panic, no obvious form issues...in fact...felt like a champion...just couldn't prove it by the fact I was picking up about every fifth arrow from BEHIND the target. I had a bleacher full of family and friends there expecting me to win. I'm not even sure they all stayed until the end? :o

It took me a week to figure out I was pinching the nock with my index finger and lifting the arrow just as it came through the clicker.

As a result...I don't poke fun at anyone's shooting issues. I'm more than happy to break a fellow Pirate's balls while he's shooting in an attempt to make him more sound in his shooting routine ;) ...but also know what true shooting issues are all about and more importantly...that they can happen to ANYONE.

Foamkiller,

Makes no difference what Rick's reasons were for not finishing...they're HIS reasons and none of our business.

Joe
njstykbow

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Second, some one here said that their buddy was 7 or so points ahead of Rick the first day. Could be an absolute fact but then only if that person was also shooting the Masters class from the longer stakes.

Excellant point. I was the one who made that comment and like I said, it was based solely on what was relayed to me over the telephone that night. I don't know which stakes my buddy was shooting from. I didn't make the comment to bash Rick in any way either, just pointing out that he wasn't having one of his better weekends.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Foamkiller » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:34 pm

Styk- We have all had those kinds of weekends whether we are target shooting or hunting.
Foamkiller

Postby Yohon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:25 am

AMEN Dan!!!! ;)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby marc » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:40 am

Foamkiller wrote:Styk- We have all had those kinds of weekends whether we are target shooting or hunting.

Yeah, some of use have alot more of them though :oops:
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:49 am

Yeah, for some of us those weekends are the norm.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Foamkiller » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:14 am

Styk- The norm hell I have made a career of screwing up. :D
Foamkiller

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum