Skip to content

adjusting sight picture

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: adjusting sight picture

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:30 pm

Kirkll wrote:
Feral Donkey wrote:

Left/right issues-change your point weight of your arrows, go with a softer/harder side plate, or change your shaft length. If it's impacting left, you need a stiffer shaft. If it's impacting right, you need a weaker arrow. One inch of shaft has about the same effect as 25 grains of point weight.

hey bro.... are you talking shooting right handed here? if so i think you got this ass backwards.....

You're right. Supliment "Need" with "Is". I'm a mold maker. Everything I do is a mirror image turned inside out and backwards. :P
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Kenro » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Feral Donkey wrote:It's good to experiment with controlled substances but the clicker is highly addictive and should be used only recreationally and in moderation. When you start losing weight, twitching, scratching yourself nervously, and telling people "I can quit whenever I want!", it's too late. At that point, you're on the clicker and I will do an intervention.

(laughs) Yeah I know, I believe you are definately right on the money Aaron :) I just needed a "fix" I think.

Today was a pretty good day in the way of progress I think. :D :D I still need to tune the arrows a little but its not bad. Im actually figuring out a "quick gap" for elevations and doing what Aaron said about tip weight turned a light bulb on too. (bumped tip weight up 20gr)The weirdest part is that to get the best results I had to take the rug right off the shelf and am running the arrow right on the riser.
Kirk, Im actually going to take that particular riser and grind a little more away to make it closer to center cut and then adjust the shelf a little too. But normally I only ever cut a riser to center and not past center. I have found that most guys pad them right back out anyway. So if I did then they are just left with a weaker riser for nothing.
All in all a pretty good day. I didnt get any of those herkey jerky re-re-re-rereleases today and I shot alot of arrows this morning and a bunch this evening with Marc and had pretty good results. NO TP monster at all today!! :D
Thanks to all above for the tid bits of advice.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:23 am

Dang Ken... I know a guy or two that can build you a bow that shoots straight.... ;)

OK... if you are impacting 2 feet off at 20 yards... I believe your eye dominance issue is the key to this. Like R said, if you were hitting 3 or 4 inches off, then we could mess with the strike plate and the arrow point weight.... but not when its two feet. I can put ANY arrow on my bow, raise it up, line up the arrow tip with the target left to right, and hit dang close to that vertical line at 20 yards... period. I think If I closed my right eye and tried that...I'd probably hit about 2 feet off... :?:

Keep us posted bud. I have been shooting with a few snap shooters lately and I cannot relate to the problem... I draw back, hit anchor and hunker into the anchor for about 1-3 seconds before I release. This really allows my mind to develop the sight picture. Im not gapping, but I'm using my arrow, my riser, my hand...all kinds of shit, as part of the picture...

I dont know man...you've got too many big whitetails and turkeys and such on the wall for me to give much shooting advice....

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Kenro » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:29 pm

Hornseeker wrote:I dont know man...you've got too many big whitetails and turkeys and such on the wall for me to give much shooting advice....
...and all done shooting split and shooting more of a "snapshot style" and of that style am not all that bad at it. not "great" but well good enough to take them down cleanly at those ranges.
3D and league shooting is way different to me than shooting at live animals. when I need to take down a deer I wont let my shots go over 17/18yds. ever! further than that I just dont shoot. but at targets, I always wanted to be a little more precise. Thats why the switch to 3 under.I just dont care for all the extra bow noise but I know it has better potential for being a little more precise. For all practical purposes we should be better at targets because of all the controlled circumstances, and in doing so the distances are further too. and that messes with me, so instilling TP was easy on that part. there were many things that lead to me getting panicky but the last few days have been real good to me. I know the clicker helped a TON! (Its like cheating! :D ) but this evening will be the first day away from the clicker as I have league in a few hours. So we will see how it goes.
Hornseeker wrote:Dang Ken... I know a guy or two that can build you a bow that shoots straight....

Ya know bud, One day maybe sooner than later Im going to be sending you a square riser block for you to widdle on for that set of limbs of yours that I have. and then I probably WOULD be shooting better! :)
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:33 pm

How come I still cant figure out what set of limbs you have????

Dude... shoot split if that is what you like. There may be a few guys that can outshoot me 3 under, but its not because I'm shooting split....When I am "on" there is NO possible way I would do better as 3 under....and every time I've tried 3 under, it has driven me F'ing Crazy...

Send a 1 1/2 X 2 1/2 X 17 inch block anytime bud... I"ll get it back pretty quick. You are drilling and aligning though...unless you send limbs too.
Hornseeker

Postby njstykbow » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Ken,

I would ABSOLUTELY not switch to 3 under just to achieve target accuracy or increase your range. I shoot split, middle finger in the corner of my mouth and arrows in the 9+ gr/lb range. My point on is over 65 yards. Closer than 50...I don't see the arrow or pay any attention to distance or any other sight picture. I would stay with the same grip on the string and work on a more solid anchor...1-3 seconds like E is telling you. That's enough in itself to keep you busy w/o switching what you're doing with your anchor. I also would not think any spine, centershot or point weight changes would cause you to be 2 feet left at 20 yards...60 possibly...but not at 20. Is it possible the extra time at anchor is causing your dominant eye to take over? Put a Pirate patch over your left eye...or just close it for a few shots and see where your vertical line of shots is.

Joe
njstykbow

Postby lostaro » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:19 pm

I went through a spell of grouping 8-12 inches left and low for a long time. My groups were very consistent, just way off at 20 yards. I finally tracked it down to trying to hard to "pull through" my release. I was over drawing and screwing up my anchor at release...pulled my hand away from my face and sent every shot to the left. Maybe something else to think about.
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Kenro » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:23 am

Ahhh DANG IT!! I was hoping no one would tell me that split could be just as good!! :( :lol: Believe me the last thing I wanted to do is switch that because split just always felt more natural. Thing is,,, Im trying to find a way for myself thats as close to shooting with a sight pin as possible without one actually being there. ie, closer eye to arrow relationship with 3 under. I just believe I will probably not ever be the natural "instinctive" (for lack of a better term)good shooter that I want to be. and no thats not a poor pitifull me statement but some are just better at it than others. I just happen to be in that lower percent is all, and have to work harder at it.
That dang eye dominance thing was at least a good discovery in all this for me because now I do know how to work with it.
njstykbow wrote: Is it possible the extra time at anchor is causing your dominant eye to take over?

Joe I believe that is EXACTLY what is happening and discovered the eye dominance issue when I put the clicker on because in "working" thru the shot I am now holding longer to get to the click.

I think I may take a day or two and try shooting split again using all the new diciplines that Ive picked up in the last week.

Ernie, You glue your alignment pins into the limbs, Im wondering if I would be able to pull them out? what glue you use for putting them in. If I can get them out I will definately take care of the alignment end of it. :)
Kenro

Postby Hornseeker » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:09 am

OH, if they are glued, which I only did a couple times ever, they will just pull right out with a good twist and pull on a set of channel locks... They are generally just tighter than shit....

What kind of point on distance do you want? Are you talking about shooting mixed distances or at 20 yards on the blue face or what? You can shoot split, adjust your anchor point some, and use heavier arrows or whatever if you want to get nearer point on at closer ranges. You can anchor with your ring finger in the corner of your mouth and have that arrow right at your eye... Arrow length can make a difference too in sight picture/ point on distance...
Hornseeker

Postby Kenro » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:25 am

E,
I dont really have a point on "want" for a set distance. I would like it to be as close as possible to just sighting right down the arrow at hunting distances! (15yds)I have a problem getting comfortable with the high anchors tho. (but I have tried) I worry about alignment when I do that. I could work on it tho and see how it goes.
Kenro

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum