Skip to content

adjusting sight picture

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

adjusting sight picture

Postby Kenro » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:48 pm

Im wondering how some of you engrain a "peripheral sight picture". With my current setup when I shoot it looks like I am looking right in line with the path of where I know in my mind the arrow should go but,,, arrows impact almost 2' from where intended (@ 20yds)!! Thing is when I just go with it all arrows will group at this unintended impact point. But if I pourposly hold to the opposit side of the impact point of the spot I wanted to hit , it "LOOKS" (as Im aiming) like Im going to send the arrows out into my neighbors fields!!!!!!! This SUCKS! Just recently by accident I shot my thick heavy cedar arrows again and my impact points are closer but the trajectories at distance are now way off because of the arrows heavy weight. I DO know I peripherally aim off the arrow and when it doesnt look right it totally screws with my head. I have to forcefully use lots of tension to get the truck thats parked on my arm, to lift up and to the left to achieve the intended impact point.
What I dont understand is how to "correct" this sight picture. :? This problem with sight picture is really messing with me and has now instilled a case of TP so bad that even I have to laugh at some of the terrible league scores lately. which Im about ready to quit that too because as soon as I try to beat the score card from last week it really works on my head.
Now just the other day in this whole struggle I believe I have discovered an eye dominance problem. I correct it just as I get to full draw by quickly squinting my left eye. seems to have helped but still not great.

Could this sight picture be "tuned" into the bow by padding/unpadding the shelf, sight windows and raising or lowering nock points? Im just thinking that I may make more tuning problems attempting to make arrows impact where I look. Just wondering what some of you may have tried and had success with? Any advice is IMENSLY appriciated!! Thanks guys.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Re: adjusting sight picture

Postby drtyrrel » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:40 am

With all the shooting problems I presently have ,or have had over the years I shouldn't be giving shooting advice. So take it for what it's worth. When I start hitting to the left or right ( mostly left )of my target it is usually because my stance is off , I'm out of alignment , head is tilted( right or left ) or leaning foreward instead of straight , or mostly I'm torqueing the damn string again .I try to touch my neck with my pinky to avoid this .
drtyrrel

Postby rhust » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:16 am

I have tuned my setup to hit where I am looking for years. If I can not get a bow to hit where I am looking, I will not shoot that bow. I have had a few over the years that were so far off, that I could not get them to hit where I wanted, and I no longer have those bows. 2 inches should be no problem. 2 feet, and you have a big problem. Most of my bows hit close, and I just adjust arrow spine slightly to bring the impact point to where I want. I call it group tuning. When I set up a new bow I put a new backing on the target face, and begin shooting. Over a couple of shooting sessions I will see a group form. I just make very small adjustments to my setup, until my arrows are grouping center of mass. There is always a little wiggle room in any setup. I am a stickler for tuning, so I want great flight, and for the arrows to hit where I want. It takes a little work, but it can be done.
Last edited by rhust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
rhust

Postby BK in TEXAS » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:54 am

Kenro wrote:Now just the other day in this whole struggle I believe I have discovered an eye dominance problem. I correct it just as I get to full draw by quickly squinting my left eye. seems to have helped but still not great.

damn Ken, I didn't know you were a closet lefty :P
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Yohon » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:55 am

Ken....when you talk about that "truck parked on my arm" that dont sound good!!! Holding/shooting 2 feet aint right and you probably know it!!!! Just for s**t's and giggles have Marc put a clicker on your bow and try it to give your mind something else to think about and see if the "truck" leaves and you move back on target. If it does then youve got some work to do.....kinda like what Casto is goin thru ;)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Kenro » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:27 am

Yohon,
I actually did put a clicker on 3 days ago. ;) It definately did help "change" the aim point sight picture to being very consistent and to now looking the same every time. it still is not quite peripherally perfect to where my subconsious wants me to point the arrow.
I actually wish I could just chaulk it up to needing to switch bows to one that would shoot where I look. that would be easy, I know someone around here that makes them ;) . But when a buddy of mine can pick up my bow and just start stacking arrows with it I know its just me and my sight picture. To be quite honest, Id almost rather put a sight on my bow than have a clicker. Nothing against clickers its just reason being is that in hunting situations the way I drag a bow thru the brush I know that clicker cord would get ripped off first time out. I just dont want to have to watch my gear that closely and I see some very solid sight brackets and pins out there. ultimately I dont want either on my bow.
I will say I miss shooting split finger but I know that 3 under is just a little more precise as far as groups go. I just wish that sight picture would re-aquire itself to this way of shooting.
Im going to go out and try some of what rhust spoke of for a few hours and see if I cant get the impact and sight pic to come a little closer together.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby newell38 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:32 am

i thought u shot pretty good yesterday!!!
newell38

Postby Kenro » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:38 am

HAHAHA , YEAH, just ok!! but the day before I didnt hit a ONE of those "stump" targets thru the whole course. :(
Kenro

Postby Feral Donkey » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:51 am

To be quite honest, Id almost rather put a sight on my bow than have a clicker.

When you want to get off the clicker you'll have to go through it all over again anyway. You'll be at full draw and expanding until you tie yourself in a knot because the click isn't there any more and you can't let go of the string. Then the TP monster will come back again with a vengeance. It's good to experiment with controlled substances but the clicker is highly addictive and should be used only recreationally and in moderation. When you start losing weight, twitching, scratching yourself nervously, and telling people "I can quit whenever I want!", it's too late. At that point, you're on the clicker and I will do an intervention. :P

Left/right issues-change your point weight of your arrows, go with a softer/harder side plate, or change your shaft length. If it's impacting left, you need a stiffer shaft. If it's impacting right, you need a weaker arrow. One inch of shaft has about the same effect as 25 grains of point weight.

High/low issues. Nock point and changing the tiller an itty bitty bit, like 1/16". Going negative tiller, the lower the shaft will be in your sight picture. More positive, the closer the point will be to the target. You can only do so much before it's out of time though.

Let me tell you something, Pendejo. I have 2 bows you made me. They're within 2 or 3 #s of each other. The RD longbow uses a 31" arrow with a 150 grain screw-on BH and a spine of .420. I tried using those on the Hellfire. They came off there like ass. I went all the way down to a 100 grain head and still coming off the bow in a knot. a 2314(.385 spine) with a 125 grain point is about there. Now I ended up with CX 350 Piledrivers with a 145 grain head. Those spine about .345 or so. So I had to stiffen the shaft .075" of spine to get it to fly out of that Hellfire with the same point weight. That bow is effin' hot, man. Keep that in mind. This thing is a very powerful weapon. You created a whole new thing where the spine charts do not apply anymore.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Kirkll » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Feral Donkey wrote:

Left/right issues-change your point weight of your arrows, go with a softer/harder side plate, or change your shaft length. If it's impacting left, you need a stiffer shaft. If it's impacting right, you need a weaker arrow. One inch of shaft has about the same effect as 25 grains of point weight.

hey bro.... are you talking shooting right handed here? if so i think you got this ass backwards.....

Ken... sounds to me like you need to do some bare shaft tuning with your prefered arrow shaft and pad the strike to meet your eye. i shoot cross eye dominant myself, and spent the last week shooting left handed to see if the sight window would feel more natural....It didn't do anything but really screw me up. :roll:

Are you cutting the sheves past center on these newer ones you are building bro? if so how far past center?
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum