Skip to content

Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

Postby njstykbow » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:00 pm

Jim and Paul,

A tip of the camo hat to both of you for dedicating yourselves to something very few are willing to do. Everyone is looking for the "quick fix" and it just isn't there. You said it best when you stated how long it took you to get into the shooting condition you were in last year...why in the world would you expect to conquer it in a week? Watching someone shoot who is afflicted with TP as bad as you two is painful to watch...let alone be involved in.

I wish that first shot at the 3D had gone better than it did, but there's probably a deep-seeded reason it took you so long to dig one out and set it up. I'll bet if you were honest with yourself...even after a year of not shooting at a 3D target...that apprehension of doing it was probably nagging at you whenever you even thought about it? It seems you were able to mentally deal with the remaining demons quickly though and hopefully they're a thing of the past with the foam. Now...transfer that into a few whistle pigs over the summer and you're on your way to a bissful fall season!

Joe
njstykbow

Postby BEN MAHER » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:52 pm

Jim...maybe more a dose of nervous buid up rather than anything TP related .?

I have started shooting at fair distances / big dirt banks etc ... gives me a bit of break from the bale and stil lets me shoot for 'form' without shooting for form if that makes sense .
I just missed shooting arrows and being able to watch them fly too much that occasionally i needed to let go a few ...

As an aside ... i won an invitational shoot this w'end ... a Roving/Clout/field combination shoot . we had people out from overseas to shoot the tourney inc Steve Stratton [ reknowned English bowyer /elb/warbow ] . Was impressive to see a man shooting a 130# selfbow .... was a really good shoot and I hope to see more of its like .

Anyway ... was a good tourney and was won by the most handsome of fellows ..... :mrgreen:

I watched Stretton run a workshop on shooting warbows etc ... pretty impressive .... but interstingly he ran everyone through many of the same exercises as Rod did when he was out here ... just goes to show ...form is form eh !!!

I think if your session ended well Jim then you are nearly 'there ' ... good job mate on having the balls to stay the course and finally get some results
BEN MAHER

Postby Jeff Roark » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:26 am

Good job Jim. Just know you can do it and it will fall into place perfectly. I've been shooting really good at our local 3d range and I have made it a rule that the only thing that I focus on is my shot execution. I'm finding more and more if thats the only thing that I focus on, the arrows are hitting right where they should. Keep up the good work.
Jeff Roark

Postby Yohon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:16 am

Good to hear Jim. Thoses 1st 2-3 shots, did you run your shot sequence or where you amped up and shot those first couple arrows without thought then after that settled down and ran your shot???
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:53 pm

The first one was a total bomb from the beginning. No thought of a sequence or anything else for that matter. I couldn’t help but think of tc’s post on the first page of this thread. :oops:

After that, I ran my sequence and the shot took care of itself, but I’ve got to admit, it was tough holding everything together on shots 2 and 3. I shot a few arrows this morning and all seems well.

I wouldn’t wish that darn target panic on anyone—well…. maybe Martin. :twisted:
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby topcamp » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:32 pm

by Jim Casto Jr » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:53 pm
The first one was a total bomb from the beginning. No thought of a sequence or anything else for that matter. I couldn’t help but think of tc’s post on the first page of this thread.

well.......you will notice that tc has been running silent and deep.............he even went back and read that post on the first page..........and yeah........i have a pretty damn fool proof shot..............but..........

it's all joes fricking fault................he really got on my case in a very subtle joe kinda way at baltimore..........so i came home from baltimore and decided that once again i would try to come to full draw and hold instead of the pre-draw......pull through...........

been at it every since baltimore.............now obviously with my pre-draw pull through my basics where pretty damn good form wise as i still use the same form with a draw hold.........i just transfered my pre-draw sight picture to the draw and hold.........i started with my partners chastain......her's is 32# at 28........and i still only draw at the most 26 1/2............i started close to the foam and then would go to the 3d pig at 20 yrds.....but always with the light bow. it took about a month before i was in charge.............and then i started drawing and holding and changing my sight picture to at least three or four different spots and finally coming back to a ramdom choice for the loose............every day...........day in and day out.

then i moved to my hunting chastain which is about 47# at 26 1/2..............draw and hold .......draw/hold and change sight pictures three or four times before again ramdomly shooting a spot........or draw/hold .....change the sight picture three or four times and then just let down..............a week ago i climbed my practice tree stand with the hunting chastain to see what would happen to the 3d doe at 18 yrds...........i deliberatly held exactly where i would hold had it been a ground shot.........and of course the arrow went right over the back.........ok......then i knew the tree stand sight picture would be the same as the old pre-draw way of shooting. on my next draw and hold ............i pulled a sight picture an inch below the bottom horizon line of the target......on the femeral artery........then to the eye ball........and finally to the sweet spot behind the leg but again with a sight picture hold and inch below the bottom of the foam...............i mixed my hold times up.......but put six consecutive shots in the ten and twelve rings on that foam doe fist size.............and then i climbed down retreived and climbed back up and did it again.................

every night i shoot pine cones at mixed distances out to thirty yards........draw/hold .........look at the sight picture..............i've shot one 3d event with the new way............did better than usual until i got tired.......had friends talking to themselves..........my first four shots where tens..............but missed the next ground hog completly.............we didn't keep score.......and i will shoot no more 3d untill next spring..........

i do spend a couple days a week backing off and shooting 30 to 50 yrds..............the urge to rush the shot seems to be great when one starts doing that but i've learned to talk myself to the hold............

we shall see come fall..........because the first monster i miss shooting this way................joes life will be hanging on a thread............because all of this is his doing..............the best part is that i learned to move the same sight picture to the draw/hold.............and that in it'self boosted the confidence level mega percent. i think if i can keep this up................baltimore next year might be a whole different ball gaime.......hehe heh heh................

it's all joes fault................. :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby njstykbow » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:40 pm

How's come Joe always takes the blame when things go south and never credit when you hit pay dirt? 8-)

Joe
njstykbow

Postby topcamp » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:46 pm

so far.......nothing's gone south............in fact it's an ich i can't scratch enough..........it's so much fun shooting i over do it........can't wait to get out and do it again..............like i said........it's all joe's fault.......... :o :D :D :D

the joy of a constant draw puts a whole new outlook on things that are down range...................though i did get the same draw with the pull through until i grew tired with a long 3d shoot............it just wasn't at a constant anchor...........this is a whole new world for me.................and it's all your fault..........
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:14 pm

So….. you’ve been in therapy too tc? :D Hmmm… Well… I wish you luck and much success, if for no other reason, so Joe can get his just due. Here’s a little free advice I got from a guy. ;)

i'll bet you that when that buck shows up this year ...............your holding a full draw ...........and rods clinic.............and .......and .................will give way in nano seconds to the old dogs journey that got him there in the first place...............and the combo of spinning drives will send an arrow into canada..........as a passover ........not thru...............hope i'm wrong about it.........but i doubt if i will be ............

...........but come fall........heed my words.....................

:P :P :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:mrgreen:
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby topcamp » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:36 pm

yuuuppp.........joe needs to copy that and put it on his head board.................while i keep climbing the mountain for a vision quest to the other side...................i might put all it to a test sometime early this week on a crop permit................it's not so much as therapy..............for i fricking know that what i did before with the pre-draw pull through is tp proof for me on game.....and it fricking worked for me.......there's just a new sense of something drawing and holding and then holding the follow through watching the shaft go down range where it's supposed too. the pre-draw pull through seemed to have more of recoil type of follow through than the hold anchor to loose does which allows one to follow the shot more............probably just me being overly excited about just being able to draw a bow to anchor without having to dump the string before i want too., than having any real merit regarding a given shot reaction.

the realilty is ..........i just moved my pre-draw to a full anchor........for i held my pre-draw quiet often for a very long time and had to talk my self through the pull through always..................and surprisingly.........holding at a full anchor is less stressful on my bowarm than coming to the pre-draw pull through..........i know longer have the bow arm pain i had after a day of shooting two or three rounds of 3d like in baltimore with the pre-draw..............................simply what may be working once i got past the must shoot disease touching anchor.............is that as i said before........i use the same sight picture with my arrow shaft that i did with the pre-draw.............knowing what and where the shaft needs to be at point on......closer than point on..........and beyond point on..............my point on is at 28 yrds with the efoc shafts i shoot.............

_tc on growing old
topcamp

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum