Skip to content

Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

Postby Rod Jenkins » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:28 am

Jim, Id love to see you add a step between 6&7....commitment, then start the aiming/final expansion phase.

BTW, it took me around 10 days to finish 40 shots at 5 yds with no less thans....then it got alot easier :D
Rod Jenkins

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:57 am

BTW, it took me around 10 days to finish 40 shots at 5 yds with no less thans....then it got alot easier :D

Well now... that is indeed encouraging.

I think I'm doing that Rod. Once I reach alignment, I commit and aim as I begin to pull--I think. I'll keep an eye on that and consciously add that to my routine. Thanks.

Now you rascal... how about that "control" question? :mrgreen:

I'm wondering if that arrow going off sooner that I'd like is a GREAT BIG "less than".
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Yohon » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:17 am

"commit"......"is this shot set up to the best of my ability....am I on target with no change" then commit and throw all your thoughts to aiming and your bale training, if its done right, should pull you thru the shot. Once you commit you aim till you hit conclusion, no other thoughts. In my thinking, your allowed to arrange/check on things while at full draw up until you give it the green light(commit) after that your aiming alone and letting things happen as they have been trained. I would think your control issue would be to hesitiate abit before commit...kind of a settling time. The bump you want to avoid would be commit=release.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:30 am

Yohon worte: The bump you want to avoid would be commit=release.

I gotcha John, and thanks. That's where I've been for about... oh ... let's say about 30 years or so. Now, I'm continuing to pull to conclusion, but the arrow is "just" leaving early in that pulling. I'd really like to see it take a little longer. :)

btw... I shot 20 arrows this morning at about 3 or 4 yards without a less than. Man... I'm on high ground.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Rod Jenkins » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:43 am

I agree with John...commitment doesn't equal release, only the mental OK to begin the next step which is aiming/expansion.IMO you actually don't have or need control of when the release happens...you have already fired the shot at commitment, you just have to aim/expand and continue aiming/expanding until reaching conclusion, with the release happening somewhere during that process. Hand over control of the exact instant release happens to the process. :D
Rod Jenkins

Postby oscar » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Great post...
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
oscar

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Rod Jenkins wrote: ...IMO you actually don't have or need control of when the release happens...you have already fired the shot at commitment, you just have to aim/expand and continue aiming/expanding until reaching conclusion...

Whew! Now that's what I really wanted/needed to hear. I've been anxious about what was taking place. I'm looking forward to hitting the bale in the morning.

Did I just say that? :shock:

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby KCummings » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:15 am

Hey, I just thought of something.

Could target panic just be a form of "commitment phobia"?

I had a girl accuse me of that in college.

:oops:

Deep down inside Jim, maybe you just know that the target you have is just not the one for you.

:mrgreen:

KPC
"On their deathbed, no one ever said, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
KCummings

Postby njstykbow » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:13 am

Jim,

The "commit" is the key. There is no "set" amount of time for it to occur...as everyone's brain works differently. Remember...the release is NOT part of the sequence...and should not be given any thought...and that goes for how long it takes for it to happen. It just HAS to happen AFTER the commit. It should be a subconscious loosing of the string which occurs when your brain tells you you're locked in on the target and everything is GO!

BTW-What size target are you on now? Also...I'm assuming it's all one color with no scoring rings?

Good work!

Joe
njstykbow

Postby Rod Jenkins » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:50 am

Good post Joe!

Jim, one more thing...when you commit...COMMIT! Expand and go to conclusion....don't let it become....ohh Ive committed, now be careful and don't screw up this pretty sight picture with expansion...ohh shit, Ive moved off to the left, now slow down the expansion, while I move the bow back to the right...is that still perfect?.....

Commit, expand and continue to expand in a slow STEADY manner until you reach conclusion...if at any point doubt creeps in you mind..let the bow down, because that shot is OVER!
Rod Jenkins

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum