Skip to content

Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Congratulations Jim. That's great to hear.

I've adopted, or stolen depending on how he feels about it, Yohon's approach. Can't say I have yet had a 30 check mark target, but I can say that the scores on the shots that get check marks are a hell of a lot better than the ones that don't.

My issue isn't target panic, or maybe it's a variation of it - I have to keep forcing myself to keep my bow where it was when the string left my fingers until the arrow hits the target. Too much tendency to drop it early to see what I hit.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby woodsman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Great News Jim.

I understand what you've went through to get where you're at today and I understand what a great thing this is for you.

Congratulations seems insufficient for what you've accomplished.

All the best
Chris
woodsman

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat May 25, 2013 3:05 pm

I appreciate the encouragement. It has been a long slog.

Man…. things have really been hectic here. I’d planned to go to Baltimore, but… needless to say, that didn't happen. I did get to go to that local club shoot back on April 6. While I didn't get 30 check marks on the card, I did pretty well. I shot right handed, without a clicker, and came in third place. One arrow separated the top three shooters. I know, I know… a very small pond, and not a big deal in most circles, but a very big deal for me.

KVTA.jpg
KVTA.jpg (45.47 KiB) Viewed 4405 times
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby rwsbow » Sat May 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Way to go, Jim :) ...how did it all seem to hold together for you ?..getting more comfortable and natural?
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Matt_Potter » Sat May 25, 2013 5:31 pm

Congrats Jim you worked HARD to beat it
Matt_Potter

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat May 25, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks Matt.

Roger,

Not easy for me to answer. Maybe anyone who’s fought target panic like I have will understand, but there’s not much that’s comfortable or natural here. I’ve gotten to the place where my stance, grip, anchor, draw, and engaging my back muscles seem to be on autopilot. No more short-drawing or collapsing, however, when I commit to the shot, it takes every bit of concentration I can muster to keep it together threw expansion to conclusion. The good news is, I’m keeping it together more and more all the time. 8-)
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Yohon » Sat May 25, 2013 6:34 pm

" The good news is, I’m keeping it together more and more all the time." Jim, that is soooo great to hear.....being in the same boat as you I KNOW what your goin/gone thru, nothing but hard work and bullhead tenacity get you to where you are....you are to be highly commended for what you've done......I for one am proud of you!!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby BEN MAHER » Sat May 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Jim , I have been following you TP battle for a while , as i have much the same problems .
Congratulations mate ! Just awesome eh !

We are still in the grips of trad a mania here ... i held a 'trad shoot at my place a month back ... and got accused of "aiming" ... so those of us looking to better ourselves , reaching full draw and hitting the target consistently are somewhat few and far between ... its why i am heading back to shoot some FITA , Field etc ... less silliness ......

I digress ...

It's nice to see someone get there as it gives me hope ! [ i still maybe should give Joel a call .....

I like feeling that I have some control now ... mind you I said "some" control ..... :oops:

Thanks for taking us along on the journey though eh !

Well done .
BEN MAHER

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum