Skip to content

Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

Postby Matt_Potter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:47 pm

Jim - my hat is off to you - I have been very lucky not to have had TP but, having spoken to and watched :o guys who had/have it - it's a bitch and a long journey back from.

I began following this thread last year when you started it - I was trying to figure out what this bale/bridge thing was all about and reading this thread convinced me that I would do what it took to take Rod's class - not an easy feat in Montana.

I was able to find a class down in Pocatello ID - it was worth every minute of the 7 hour drive and every dime of cash out of pocket. I have taken what he thought to heart and have flat worn the bale out and what I have found is that while I shot some good scores and won some big shoots in the past I was NEVER in control of my shot.

I am now after 3 months (bunny piss compared to you) I am feeling like I am in control - I know it is a life long process but, I really am feeling like I get it.

FD says just shoot the damn bow but, it is so much more fun when you own the shot.

Again thanks for this thread it is what started it for me.

Matt
Matt_Potter

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:54 pm

Matt_Potter wrote:FD says just shoot the damn bow but, it is so much more fun when you own the shot.

Thanks Matt. I really like that quote. ;) I'll use that for sure. Besides, I don't even know who Megan Fox is. :roll:
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Matt_Potter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:08 pm

Jim Casto Jr wrote:
Matt_Potter wrote:FD says just shoot the damn bow but, it is so much more fun when you own the shot.
I don't even know who Megan Fox is. :roll:

Heck that is what google is for - I'd let let her stuff piranhas in my pants :lol: .

Matt
Matt_Potter

Postby BEN MAHER » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:14 pm

That is great to hear Jim ... I am still hovering at ten yards beleive it or not , changing a few things and not onfident in my sequence so may go back to 21 days at the bale again ... just try and regroove lest I end up with panick ridden short draw of a 12 year old school kid again .

Yohon ... I hadn't thought of that re "the counting trap" . Nice one .
BEN MAHER

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:42 am

Jim Casto Jr wrote:

Thanks Matt. I really like that quote. ;) I'll use that for sure. Besides, I don't even know who Megan Fox is. :roll:

Owning the shot is part of shooting the damn bow.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:36 am

Just read this whole thread (well, mostly last night)... getting back into shooting again after a solid 2 yr layoff (I shot, but not like I was 2-5 years ago)... I had my shot squared away pretty good and its not gone, but I had certainly forgot a LOT of shit...

I am going to go ahead and just work the bale for the next month or so. Easy to do this time of year in MT cause you dont want to shoot outside anyways... I'm gonna shoot a 35# bow for the next month...at a whole 1 yard... and get my shot sequence squared back away. A little over 2 years ago I could step up to the 300 round and with complete confidence let 60 arrows loose and hit something over 240 without much effort... I'd be surprised if I could shoot much over 200 right
now :(

So...here we go. Hopefully I wont have many questions. Congrats to you guys that have whooped this sucker! (luckily... I am not nor have ever, fighting target panic... I generally try not to even use those words, but made a quick exception here).

SO, is Jims final list of the shot, the generally accepted process from Rod and Len et al?
1 Set my stance
2 Grip the bow keeping all of it inside the lifeline
3 Take a deep hook on the string with equal pressure across each finger
4 Make sure my left elbow is rotated and the shoulder is down. RobK caught this at the clinic. Apparently my left shoulder was too high and allowing for a collapse-of sorts
5 Draw to anchor and expand to alignment
6 Keep tension until reaching a maintainable state
7 Commit to the shot
8 Immerse in aiming
a) Somewhere between 8 & 9 the arrow leaves the string
9 Conclusion
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Bender » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:00 pm

I don't know if what you have there is exactly as per Jenkins or Cardinale. It is a GOOD sequence though. Just 2 things I would say. As you get it down pat, get each step memorized as one simple word. That one word represents all the elements within that step. Short but sweet memorized litany that is your "Mantra." (For lack of a better word.)
I especially like your #8a. Within my own sequence I go from Aim to Follow Through. I DO NOT have a specific numbered step labelled "Release" I just can't think about my release and force it like that. I WILL fuck it up if I do. The release is my Zen.
Bender

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:08 pm

Ive had the subconscious release before, but right now I'm letting the string go... I'll get through that quick enough though... I've had this chit down before, just need to regain it...
Hornseeker

Postby Yohon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:25 pm

RED LIGHT>>>>>>>

#6.....Keep tension until reaching a maintainable state
Id change it to.....Keep tension THRU mainatainable state to conclusion.....dont give anything back to the bow!!!

Would also add or maybe subtract from #5....that getting your two anchors should put you in alignment at the same time, you shouldnt have to add anything in there.
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:57 am

Didn't take long to get my conclusion all squared away... last night the arrow just hit the bag as I continued expanding... yay. Still wondering if I should ought to buy some new tabs to play with though. Heck, its been 2 yrs of nothin much... its not like I couldn't start all over.

I am really considering (Im a cheap ass bastard).... going to Rods clinic in June...its only 2 hrs from here... but I have to commit today or the class will be full!!! Being a very modest and shy guy, I am also worried about drawing a bunch of attention to myself by out-shooting Rod at his own clinic and maybe giving him a few pointers.... :lol: :lol:

:? :? :o :o

Obviously a joke.
Hornseeker

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum