Skip to content

Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

Postby doowop » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:47 am

Jim, don't know if you remember me or not. You gave me some advice and encourgement when I switched from righty to lefty.That was on another forum (TG). I now am shooting better than I could ever imagine. You told me to shoot in sequence. One step at a time and to concentrate on EVERY shot. When you make the jump to shooting at targets again remember your advice. It works. best of luck. " IT " can be beat!
doowop

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep, sounds like darned good advice. :lol: :lol: :lol: I can still pull that off on the left side. :roll: I'm now working to get back to shooting on the right side. One thing for sure... no matter how it turns out, I can still function on the left side. :?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:53 pm

What bridge are we talking about? You bought a bridge? You wanna buy another one? :lol: :P

Let me say this again.
Archery is a hobby. Have fun with it. If it's like work, then you should be getting paid for it.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby rwsbow » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Sometimes it's better to DISENGAGE the conscious brain when shooting and rely on the subconscious....

The simple movements involved in shooting a bow are not complex movements...and in a very short order those movements can be perfected to where they will replicate themselves repeatedly and consistently....

You should be at the stage when...if you are shooting at a target, there should be no thoughts of the mechancis...and if you are working on the mechanics, there should be no thought of a target.....these steps are accomplished by learning each movement/step one chunk at a time.....drilled in until it is as repeatable as humanly possible, and then move on the next step....when you can put them all together in a consistent and repeatable process, all that prevents you from missing is the actual aiming process.

When a slump occurs, and if you've taken proper notes in a shooting journal about how when you was shooting good, the bow grip,draw,anchor,release,etc. felt like this (i.e. more pressure on middle finger of drawing hand,bow grip with more pressure at the heel of the hand)..sometimes just a simple review of the journal can retrigger the "feel" you had when you were shooting great.

You can get so tied up with the mechanics and positions that "paralysis by analysis" sets in, it's time to take a break from it...

just my thoughts....

Keep it as simple and as natural for YOU as you can...that's what will come through for you when the big moment is at hand.....
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby drtyrrel » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:13 am

Hi Jim

I started at @ 5 yards and when I had 40 good shots (out of 40) I moved back a couple of yards and did the same. Anytime I started to pick up bad habits, or it didn't feel right, I stopped and finished up my session on the blank bale again. I started with too small a target (@ 6") and got stuck at 10 yards for a long time. I'm now using about a 12" target and I'm between 15 and 20 yards . Give Rod a call I'm sure he'll set you straight .
drtyrrel

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:40 am

Hi Darrin,

Good to hear from you. Glad you’re getting along well with the “new” tricks. That sounds like a very reasonable approach. I’ll move back a yard or two at a time. If a problem arises, I’ll just finish on that friggin bale, and start anew. We’ll see how it goes.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby njstykbow » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:05 am

Jim,

I'm on my way out the door, but here's my interpretation of the bridge. The bale and your shot sequence must be COMPLETELY under control...not most shots...EVERY shot.

The bridge is done by utilizing a 30" target...that's right...30" with no rings or other spots to differentiate one spot on the 30" target from another. Start shooting close...say 10 yards. Shoot several groups into the target. EVERY shot MUST be under control and feel EXACTLY the same as those done on the bale. When you can repeat this task at will...move back a few yards and do the same thing. If you have ONE SINGLE SHOT that is NOT perfect...move back to the bale until it's under control and start the bridge closer yet. If everything is going well...keep moving back...SLOWLY! This is not a race...it's all about shot control.

Once you are at a distance where you CHOOSE not to go further because that's all the further you want to shoot...reduce the target size and start back close again. Keep working your shots...increasing the distance...and reducing the size of the target. Bad shot...how it feels-not where it hits in the target...back to the bale. It's your brains way of instilling a punishment for making a bad shot...while in reality...making you do more bale work...which we should all be doing more of.

That's all I've got time for right now, but let me know your thoughts on this.

BTW-Glad to hear things are progressing well. :D
Joe
njstykbow

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks a million Joe. I can use that as my guide.

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Feral Donkey » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Just don't get uptight and try to force it. Relax, goof off, have fun with it. I'm not going to undermine what Rod is doing with you. Rod knows what he's doing.

What I do when I'm in situations where the TP monster likes to visit, is I goof off. You know that messed up arrow that's too good to throw away because when you get home you're going to take off the nock, unibushing, and insert and stick the shaft out in the garden for the cucumbers to climb on? That's my magic arrow. It has to be bent, dented, or messed up in some fashion to a point where even a newbie would know that's not an arrow you shoot if you're going to try to score big. Then I encourage the people I'm shooting with to not shoot from the stakes. You can only shoot from the stakes if you're from Virginia. Then I'm not going to argue with you about it. At that point I'll walk off in the woods and find the perfect shooting lane. It has to involve shooting through tight spaces between hard timber and punching through lots of branches and leaves. This way if I throw a flier I get to entertain everyone with my arrow shattering to bits while rattling through the trees. But if I do this with the magical crooked arrow, it never happens. I pile-drive through the salad and twigs and get it in the foam every time. It's only when I use those clean, pretty, straight, "you're too good for me" arrows you make the 190fps wind chimes. ;) It also helps if my bow is out of tune and my tab resembles Liz Taylor's vagina. That's my routine to get into the right state of mind.

Relax. Have fun with it. Get into that state of mind. Then go do you're prescribed exercises. If you're having difficulty, try a bent arrow or a Black Widow tab that got wet and spent the afternoon in your pocket. ;)
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Kenro » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:13 pm

I myself would like to hear more about this "bridge". Hey Jim,, no laughing matter for me with this shooting thing either anymore. The TP monster as FD calls it, has pretty much set up camp and is living rent free in my head at the moment. 100% the worst shooting Ive ever done in my life, and cant get past it. I feel like if it were all mechanical, I could do anything (like shooting a compound, no issues whatso ever). BUT... take away sight picture, (or i.e. a sight "pin")and all the rest of it goes right in the shitter! I'll go build a bridge somewhere if I think it would help get me past this. very interested to hear more.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum