Skip to content

An advice, input?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

An advice, input?

Postby JackDaw » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:19 am

I use a sight & clicker and my left/rights are inconsistent
as hell. One day they're landing left, next day right, on and on.
One thing I have just become aware of is that my string often hits
my armguard so my bow arm position has to change.

One's bow string is not supposed to hit the armguard so much, yes?

If you use a sight and wear glasses, where do you put the string blur?

I cannot seem to get any consistency in it, at least that's
what my L/R arrow patterns are telling me.

Man, sometimes I feel like I just picked up a bow for the first time :( :oops: :mrgreen:
""Reduce the variables! Reduce the variables dammit!"" from Bender Sr.
JackDaw

Re: An advice, input?

Postby Yohon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:56 am

Left/Rights always yell "grip" to me, throw in the info on hitting the arm guard and it screams grip to me ;)

Remember it doesnt have to be a certain way or special way it only has to be comfortable and more important.......repeatable!!!! If you feel your grip is that way and still getting L/R then i would start looking at back tension and how you engage it, in other word do you do it the same each time.

Hopefully NJstickbow will chime in......
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby rwsbow » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:57 am

On my target bows, I put the string blur on the narrow section of the sight window..keeps the "lefties/righties" down to a minimum.....

A friend of mine (yep, I actually got a friend or two!! :lol: ) puts the string blur on the outside of the sight window because he says it doesn't interfere as much with the nosepiece of his glasses...

Also check that your centershot setup is not too "centered""...make sure the tip of the arrow is on the outside of the string.. a "too perfectly centered" arow will act inconsistently, causing various left and right shots...

Just a suggestion......
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Bender » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:50 am

All excellent advice. These guys know what they're doing. I have some ideas as "training aids" though.
Take a something tiny like a very very small, less than 1/8" dia. ball bearing or something similar, tape it down on the grip so that you can feel the bump it makes with the palm of your hand. Say like with the meat of your thumb. Yes, its uncomfortable. No you probably wouldn't want to shoot that way on a long term basis. However you will be able to feel that your hand goes into the grip the same way every time. You can spend a little time with moving the bump and your hand placement until you find what gives the best results. Then while leaving the bump in place work on "imprinting" that hand placement. After a while ditch the bump. Once you have it down you don't need to get a tattoo on your hand, but maybe mark you grip so that the mark lines up with some crease or winkle on on your hand for long term use.
If you aren't using a bow sling, get one. Even if you don't really need it. I don't really "need" one. However, I put one on my competition longbow when it became legal for state competition here. This is perhaps more of a psychological thing but for me just slipping my hand through that loop of stiff cord truly seems to help guide my hand into the same position in the grip every time.
Bender

Postby cst » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:44 am

I'm not in the same league as these guys, but here's something that helped me with left rights: pulling with the shoulder and back. I always thought I was until I did the drill with the formaster that SuperK and I built. That frigging contraption has taught me a lot about my shooting. It seems like, and I could be wrong, when I don't pull with my shoulder and back everything goes to pot. My bow side wrist rolls out and I'm torqueing the bow. That's when the left and rights start. This might not be your problem, but it can't hurt to check. Good luck.
cst

Postby cst » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:51 am

I meant to add that when I pull with my arm and the wrist rolls out, I hit my shirt pocket and then my arm and my shots are all over the place. Changeing my stance alone didn't solve the problem.
cst

Postby PAarcher » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:46 pm

I'd say your grip is the culprit. I used to have a similar issue until Rob (LAS) taught me to keep the grip betwen the thumb and the lifeline. As soon as part of the grip strays to the other side of the lifeline I get wild left right flyers.
PAarcher

Postby Frank Addington » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:45 am

Are you overdrawing the bow? Sometimes this causes arm slap. Do you have a consistant anchor?

What about your stance. Sometimes you can open it up and get away from your arm slap.

The left and rights could also be your grip. If you torque, that can do it.

It is difficult to diagnose without seeing you shoot. I suppose you could video yourself shooting and post that. That would be an easy way to diagnose what is going on.

Where do you anchor?
Are you overdrawing the bow?
Is your stance open or closed?
Frank Addington

Postby JackDaw » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:56 am

Asprinbuster wrote:Are you overdrawing the bow? Sometimes this causes arm slap. Do you have a consistant anchor?

What about your stance. Sometimes you can open it up and get away from your arm slap.

The left and rights could also be your grip. If you torque, that can do it.

It is difficult to diagnose without seeing you shoot. I suppose you could video yourself shooting and post that. That would be an easy way to diagnose what is going on.

Where do you anchor?
Are you overdrawing the bow?
Is your stance open or closed?

Anchor = index finger, corner of mouth
Am not overdrawing bow as far as I know ~ 29" DL
Stance is open (both shoulders perpendicular to target)
Anchor and DL is very consistent because of clicker

One thing I did not state before is that I shoot with a high wrist
and wrist strap, with open fingers. I try like hell to not influence
the grip on the riser by holding it this way. I centre my
"hand-web/lifeline" on the handle.

I shot at close range yesterday (6-9 yards) with a grip like compound folks use,
whew! Something is different and I must try this some more at 20 yards+

IIRC, Bender did say somewheres way back that a high wrist is hard to reproduce
well, every single shot. FD made a comment to me too last year, something about
the grip on this particular bow wasn't quite right, in his opinion.

From RWSBOW - "Also check that your centershot setup is not too "centered""...
make sure the tip of the arrow is on the outside of the string..
a "too perfectly centered" arow will act inconsistently, causing
various left and right shots..."

Yes RWS! I've heard of that and I think I still have it set up okay
(Bear Weather Rest....but it does wear on that tiny lug a bit)

Another thing is I sneak up on the clicker with my draw and
sometimes I think I hold too long, get a rough loose on the arrow.

I'm gonna do a serious tryout on using a low wrist grip and see how it goes.

Thanks for your ideas and feedback gents, sorry, I can't embarrass
myself and everyone else with a video of my shooting, nope, don't
want to go there :mrgreen:
""Reduce the variables! Reduce the variables dammit!"" from Bender Sr.
JackDaw

Postby Bender » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:32 pm

By
grip like compound folks use,

do you mean folding 3 or even 4 fingers up so they're kind of between the palm and the grip while also being a loose grip? I'm using pinky and ring folded under, it really helps roll the wrist /forearm out of the way. Tried 3 and all 4 folded but didn't work so well for me. Let us know if it continues to work for you. Cool that you thought of it.
Bender

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum