Skip to content

Gap Is Crap

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Gap Is Crap

Postby rwsbow » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:23 pm

Rico,
I've tried the gapping..20 yards at the deer's feet...30 yards at the deer's knee joint..40 yards on the boiler room..
But DAMN, it don't work on squirrels unless they're 34" tall!!! :P :roll:

Like I said, will just stick with my ring pin sights...less confusion!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Rico » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:59 pm

Some people are aware of it and some people call it instinctive

Oscar you make it sound like Gap and Instinctive are one of the same thing.
if you throw a spear at a target and it hits low what do you do to correct? Thats the same way I and alot of others shoot bow. There is a style called Gap and there is a style called Instinctive

But DAMN, it don't work on squirrels unless they're 34" tall!!!

That's funny :lol:
"If you have to defend your archery tackle as being Traditional it probably isn't" Fred Bear
Rico

Postby cst » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:27 pm

Oscar well said. Or more tactfully anyway. As to people with two hands always being right handed? Of course not. That is not the same thing though. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that everybody who shoots instinctively is a bad shot or automaticaly uses that as an excuse for a poor shot. I am just saying that I don't want there to be any excuses for me to use. Cause I will. I shot tonight (300 rd) using the gap method. I also shot tonight trying to just focus on the target and let em fly. I do this a little each time I shoot and have been for the past few months. I don't seem to be able to do this with any consistency past 10 or sometimes 15 yards. At 20 it is ugly. Oddly enough though when I am shooting aerial targets, I don't think about gap I just shoot for the disk. I usually can get them in somewhere in the disk. But that is a 12" circle. That is not incredible accuracy. Not even really good accuracy. That is why on targets (or deer or squirrels or rabbits) I shoot my gaps. I get much better results. Usually. My hat is off to people who can do all this faster and more accurately without really thinking about it but I aint one of them.
cst

Postby Rico » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:45 pm

Oddly enough though when I am shooting aerial targets, I don't think about gap I just shoot for the disk. I usually can get them in somewhere in the disk. But that is a 12" circle.

Are you watching the arc of arrow if your not seeing a gap :?: I don't dispute that gap is more accurate when shooting dots.
15-20yds is about what the average instinctive shoots
"If you have to defend your archery tackle as being Traditional it probably isn't" Fred Bear
Rico

Postby oscar » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:30 am

Rico, yep that's what I'm saying. It's just that gappers are intensionally doing it and instinctive archers are doing it at a different level of consciousness. When I shoot, I do it by "feel". I am never looking for the tip of my arrow. I don't attempt to guess the yardage, I don't care. But I am aware of different sight pictures for different distances. As far as throwing a spear, you could just throw harder. That's why I think using throwing is a poor example. With a bow and consistent draw length velocity should remain relatively the same. You can finesse when throwing. We see that every Sunday watching the quarterbacks. However, that being said, I was talking to Kiko Tovar once and he said he'd just draw the bow back further on longer shots. So I guess everyone has their own method of getting the job done.
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
oscar

Postby cst » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:40 am

Rico, nope when I am shooting at disks, I don't look at anything but the disk. I get tunnel vision. I know this because I was able to be completely unaware that my buddy (some friend) was pitching a water baloon at me on one of the shots. He said he wanted to see if I was really concentrating. I do believe there is tunnel vision, I do believe that people don't focus on arrows, I do believe there is a completely internalized way of shooting. Using gaps :D
cst

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum