Skip to content

Gap Is Crap

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Gap Is Crap

Postby Rico » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:49 pm

Okay we have pretty much exhausted the Instincitve. Lets hear from the gap shooters.
Why not just put a damn sight on there and be done with it. I mean at least one pin come on just get it over with and do it. :?
Whats your point on? When and why did gap shooting start? :?: ;)
"If you have to defend your archery tackle as being Traditional it probably isn't" Fred Bear
Rico

Re: Gap Is Crap

Postby cst » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:13 pm

Gap is crap huh? ok. Point on varies for me with the bow/arrow/string combination. I started shooting with an aiming system because to not aim is dumb. I started one year ago. :D
I don't want to hear a bunch about instinctive we had that on the other thread. I meant what I said. If you feel like you aim good for you. If you don't aim in my opinion you should not handle a weapon.
cst

Postby PAarcher » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:33 am

I was taught to gap shoot when I first started shooting these bows a few years ago. Mike Fedora taught me.
I have been struggling with it because I like to switch bows now and again and each bow shoots differently.
I have really been bearing down lately and trying my hardest to pour my concentration on the target. That has been helping my accuracy a great deal but I am still aware of the tip of my arrow. I think I am begining to develope a hybrid between instinctive and gap. We'll see how it bears out on 3d and field shoots.
I can't not be aware of my arrow. I have a high anchor and it is right in my line of sight. If you don't think gap shooting is effective watch Rod Jenkins shoot.
PAarcher

Postby Rico » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:22 am

I think that gap can is very effective just doesn't work for me when it comes to shooting at a deer.
I would think it would be more effective to put at least one pin on your bow. Yes,NO ,Maybe

PAarcher the more you think about it the more you're going to see it.

I don't want to hear a bunch about instinctive we had that on the other thread

You're right cst that's why I like to hear from gap shooters have you tried any other style sight or that other style we already had a thread on. Why just Gap :?:
"If you have to defend your archery tackle as being Traditional it probably isn't" Fred Bear
Rico

Postby rwsbow » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:23 am

I've tried gap shooting, but am not as effective with it as I am sights, so I use sights.
Seems like I can't "guestimate" the range and set the right gap..if I gotta estimate range , may as well use a sight.
My point on is ...high anchor,41 yards..under the chin anchor,86-90 yards.
I would like to find a way to have my point-on at 20 yards without anchoring by my eyeballs..think that would be an effective range for gap,especially for hunting.

Roger
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby cst » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:35 am

Rico, I have a pin on my bow. The arrow tip. That is why arrow length was giving Ernie fits. I have tried just about everything in archery. I like to deliberately aim my bow. I would also like to go back to having my gaps internalized where it seems that I dont even have to think about it. I chose the gap method because of the following.

PERSONAL OPINION everybody gaps. No two ways about it. If you are using fixed pins or a scope or claiming to use nothing at all, everybody gaps. Pins: lets say your bow is set up like mine used to be five pins from 20-60. 20 was the top pin and everytime I wanted to shoot farther than that I had to raise the bow a bit more. Getting closer to my point on. My pins had very specific gaps between them, that I spent a lot of time refining till they were dead on. But hey that is extra weight on the bow. Same goes for the settings on a target scope.You have to adjust it up and down in and out depending on shooting conditions. One of these conditions is distance. Same thing your mind does when it sets your gap and moves your bow arm up and down.
Now to throw a wrench in there Rico, I don't just gap, I shoot with fixed ringpins (thanks Roger) and occasionally try to go instinctive although I don't do it much because I have bad instincts and like Mike said "front sight, front sight" going through my brain. The other reason I don't do it, is I don't want any excuses. Everybody says that instinctive is not good for targets (WTF Joe, didn't you get the memo) and I want to shoot targets very well. I want to be the best. I try to excel at the things I do and this is no exception. If I make a bad shot, I don't want to shrug it off and say I am an instinctive shooter, I want to know the reason why. With this indoor comp we are doing on here, I have seen some very good scores posted. It burns me up that I am aiming (deliberately) and Joe is still shooting 40 points more a round. Bob Gordon is a freak, I don't even count his score. That is why some of the time I gap. Most of the time. I am using a pin. I just use a new one each time. Just like you. :twisted:
cst

Postby oscar » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:20 pm

I would never be presumtuous enough to tell anyone how they shoot. But I do believe everyone gaps. Some are just more aware of it than others. lol.
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
oscar

Postby Rico » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:35 pm

I would like to find a way to have my point-on at 20 yards without anchoring by my eyeballs..think that would be an effective range for gap,especially for hunting.

Roger would a longer arrow do this for ya :?: I know I have a friend that gaps and he said the point of his arrow is down by the deers feet at 20yds not sure maybe someone here can help with that.

I would strongly agree that gap is much more precise than instinctive and pins would be still more precise.

I would never be presumtuous enough to tell anyone how they shoot. But I do believe everyone gaps

No one is telling anyone how to shoot here we're just discusing gap shooting. If "everyone gaps" means that the gap changes between elevation well cetainly but thats like saying everyone that has 2 hands is right handed.
Instinctive shooter is not using the gap I'm sure it is there. There is also a gap between the bottom limp tip and the ground.
Rico

Postby superkodiak38 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:52 pm

2 Questions:

How many gap shooters cant their bow?

Can you shoot effectively using a gap method while canting your bow?
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby oscar » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:34 pm

Rico, what I was trying to say is that I agree with PA and black wolf, everyone gaps. Some people are aware of it and some people call it instinctive. I look at it this way. If your shooting at a 3D deer target and you shoot low with your first arrow how could your second arrow be considered instinctive if you try to correct your aim (instinct). If you hit it on your first arrow you gapped right. It has to be a learned process. There is some type of sight picture, the mind is keying on. The difference between instinctive an gapping just might be that a gapper is consciously doing it and the instinctive archer is doing it subconsciously and just unaware.
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
oscar

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum