Skip to content

Tried the "Hanky" style

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Tried the "Hanky" style

Postby capt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:43 pm

Believe it or not I use a similar method or the same shooting with a thumb draw. The arrow is on the otherside of the riser so you can't "point" with the arrow so it is natural to use your bow arm to just point and shoot. What is interesting is I can pause or shoot quickly as long as that alignment is correct the arrow goes were it is supposed to go-nice and easy. Don't worry about hitting my arm because of the follow through with the thumb draw. The "system" does work.
capt

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Tue May 11, 2010 3:12 pm

I tried it last night, and the first few shots were scary close, but I found after that, that I started to get a lot of flyers. I think I may have been getting a bit tired or something. I was shooting at 15yds and in. I did change my entire way of shooting though, from 3 under anchoring on my cheek bone, to split with pointer finger at corner of mouth. I would use my knuckle on my bow arm and imagine the "laser beam" like you guys have said and I was suprised at how even changing styles so drastically made no difference in my POI. In fact, it seemed much more comfortable like I wasnt fighting with it.

But I think the flyers were due to hand torque or wrong anchor point, as I was thinking about where my knuckle was too much to pay attention to other stuff. Anyway, I think I will continue to practice it and see what happens.

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Postby tradspirit » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:08 pm

Just thought I'd add a comment on my success this year using Hank's method. I shot a nice 5 point on the ground at my longest ever kill distance of 28 yards. I did exactly what I had practised, but strangely only recall the surprise of the release after I hit my anchor points. :o I was shooting an Elmer Patton recurve, off the shelf, 52 pounds at 28 inches, and a 160 gr Simmons Land Shark for a total arrow weight of 760 grains. The arrow centered the scalpula, completely penetrated it and took out both lungs. My buddy watched it happen from 75 yards away through binoculars from his treestand and was amazed at the shot. The animal was about ten foot higher in elevation than I was yet it made no difference. I had only practised at home on targets that were on the same ground plane as me. In the past I have always given to much thought before the shot as to whether I should pick a spot higher up on elevated targets or simply aim at the same spot as I would on level ground shots. Hank's method really works if you give it a chance and trust your ability to compensate for distance with your bow arm.
Jim
tradspirit

Postby BEN MAHER » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:55 am

Nice going !
I still use what could be described as the "hanky " point and shoot method and i am pleased with how it works hunting . I incorporate it with a lot of bale work and ensure that i am still going through the form work as re introduced to me by Rod Jenkins .
I think as an aiming system in the field whilst hunting it is an invaluable asset as long you practice and have faith in it. However without the good solid form to accompany the shot process , my accuracy can fall apart pretty quick !
My TP is a constant battle and I am unsure if my "hanky style aiming " suffers with due to TP or my Tp worsens because of my "Hanky point and shoot " !
BEN MAHER

Postby tradspirit » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Ben:
I have not had any personal experience with TP, but have shot with a few of my friends who were truly loosing it. My limited experience causes me to think that the degree of panic is directly proportional to the amount of thought a shooter gives to the minusia of the shot process. My experience on the bail has has been negative, in that while concentrating on on part of the sequence, I began to question the "correctness" of the other parts that were occuring simultaneuosly and being subordinated to the one aspect I was concentrating on to "lock in". I was overly concerned that I would correct one segment at the expense of another. Hank's system allows me to simply focus on two independent things, hitting anchor first, and then pointing the bow arm. Using the middle finger as a focal point for the tension of the draw and the double anchor really encourages a clean and more often than not, suprise release. It happens without my having to be concerned with touching fingers to shoulders or whatever other follow through results. The release and follow through are things I no longer am concerned with as part of my shooting. Follow through simply is a reaction to the release, not a part of the sequence that I have to think about while shooting. Less to think about, less to analyze, I believe leads to less issues....and certainly more enjoyment.
Jim
tradspirit

Postby rwsbow » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:04 pm

First of all, so everyone knows, I've had a sight on my recurves since "1970ish".. been a target shooter/hunter most of my life..

Over the past couple years have tried everything and then started using the Hanky Point method..I just could not get used to the "instinctive" sight picture ingrained in my head..after reading the 2 part instructions and then picking Hank's brain for the last almost 2 years, finally felt confident enough to take it to the woods this year..until then, NO WAY!!

Shot a doe with sights in early Oct..17 yards, no problem...

Shot a small spike buck at 13 yeards in early Nov. WITHOUT SIGHTS!!..it was only 13 yards but no doubts came into my mind about being able to complete the sequence and the results were...My first barebow deer...45 years of shooting a bow and about 40 years using sights..

I enjoy long range target shooting too much to give up the sights altogether, but I have confidence in the Hanky Point and Shoot, (at least up to 20 yards), to make the shot...be it a deer or a squirrel.. it can be amazingly accurate ...
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby BEN MAHER » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:23 pm

rwsbow...
Mate thats unreal...its always good to try new stuff eh ? I have always and still do shoot with sights on my recurves ... I still enjoy FITA,IFAA etc and won't stop using sights ever I don't think. Punching tight groups at distance is an great feeling and achievement. But me first 'love' is instinctive with my old Hill longbows ..... My new adventure is start competing with them in IFAA.
As a hunting tool , my "Hanky" style shooting is my 'go to'.

Trad... the bale should be used to work on ONE thing at a time to the exclusion of all else . Its a mental exercise in itself concentrating on just the one thing . Once you commit to it and do it properly , I believe it is invaluable to improvement.
BEN MAHER

Postby tradspirit » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 am

Ben: Understood, however, being over analytical allows me to concentrate on the aspect I am trying to improve on the bail, but also causes me over time to be unable to ignore the rest of my shot sequence for fear of developing (ingraining) a bad habit :o while concentrating on what I want to improve while shooting the bale. Tried to close my eyes to eliminate other cues, but mentally talked myself out of that approach pretty quickly because it is counter intuitive for me to close my eyes while discharging any weapon. Too many years as a pistol and archery safety instructor. Being able to see my target or better yet the spot that I want to hit, is essential for me to make a successful shot and is the core of aligning the bow arm to achieve that end. For some the bail certainly is a learning device...for me it was an obstacle.
tradspirit

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum