Skip to content

Tried the "Hanky" style

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Tried the "Hanky" style

Postby tradspirit » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:31 am

I tried the point and shoot method described herein as the Hanky Method and was pleasantly surprised at my improved accuracy and ability to consistently group in the kill zone of my Mckenzie without really "aiming" as I did in the past...HOWEVER...I wacked my forearm repeatedly but not with every shot. :o Something that I have never had a problem with in the past. I tried additional cant, opening my stance more, making certain my bow forearm was rotated out of the way,etc, etc. Not one thing seem to be causative. My forearm seemed to always be in the way. I have recently been experimenting and went from a split finger single point anchor, first finger in the corner of my mouth, to a two point anchor (Ricky method), and have now reverted back to a split finger, first finger on cheek bone and thumb web behind my jaw. This seems to work best for me and assures back tension and a cleaner release. Any one have any suggestions?? I am not enthused with the idea of wearing an armguard. I was shooting a 45 pound 1962 Kodiak as a trainer as it is my lightest bow. Thanks, Jim
tradspirit

Re: Tried the "Hanky" style

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:40 am

Glad it's working for you. I had success with it too, but didn't stick with it. I "play" around with it and can see a lot of potential. I'd advise you to put on the armguard and get used to it. It will be especially helpful on those cool days when your wearing extra clothing.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby JimMoore » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:48 pm

What exactly is point and shoot...exactly? :?

Would that be point of aim or gapping or just bringing the arrow to the eye and gun-barreling?
JimMoore

Postby rwsbow » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:41 pm

The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:09 pm

JimMoore wrote:What exactly is point and shoot...exactly? :?

Would that be point of aim or gapping or just bringing the arrow to the eye and gun-barreling?

Well... none of the above. As I understand it, it's as simple as it's name--just point and shoot. If you use your imagination and do this: Imagine a laser beam extending from your index knuckle toward the mark. You simply point the laser toward the mark, concentrate, and release. After a few shots you'll see a pattern develop. Then you adjust your bow to shoot where you're looking. Start at about 12 to 15 yards. It's almost spooky how accurate it can be.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby JimMoore » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:01 pm

Hey Jim, thanks. You hear of instinctive, gap, split vision, "becoming the arrow" et. al. Kind of strange but I've told my two boys to act like you are just pointing at something and shoot. They've got it figured out, yet I seem to be able to complicate things and forget the simple. TP been so bad I had to give up the sticks for last years hunt and resorted to a compound and sights. Sure do like the stickbows though, and hope to just get past that panic and "aim the laser."

RWS, thanks for the link. Its a good article and I will be damned, as mentioned, if I didn't tell them kids the same thing, yet I fail to do it. Brain all fogged up with fear of missing and all that for so long.
JimMoore

Postby tradspirit » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:14 pm

Jim C is absolutely correct when he stated that it is "spooky" how accurate you can be. What is critical is that your windage is established so that it is not an issue ( i.e., if your bow is off left or right from the intended spot, then play with your side plate, your spine, and/or your release). Once you are shooting vertical strings, simply ignore your distance from the target and point your bow arm at the spot you want to hit...draw, hit your consistant anchor and strive for an unconscious release using back tension. At twenty yards, shooting two arrows each time, if I wasn't stripping fletching off the first arrow I was within an inch of it! If you can maintain an unmoving bow arm, and a clean release you will certainly amaze yourself with your accuracy. Any variation in anchor, bow torque or release will casue fa flier. I haven't gone past twenty five yards yet and am concentrating on the 12 - 20 yard ranges where most of my shots are taken. I discovered what was causing my forearm contact :lol: ...in my attempt at 'pointing" my bow arm I was locking it out and pushing it hard to the target, causing it to move into the path of the string. By slightly rolling my bow arm elbow clockwise (I am right handed) and increasing my bow cant slightly, I have eliminated the problem.
tradspirit

Postby JimmyFingers » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:52 pm

Has anyone tried this with a metal riser/raised rest recurve??....Just wondering how having the arrow up and away from the bow hand on the raised rest would change things??......Thanks......Jim
"There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality, and then there are those who turn one into the other"...Douglas Everett
JimmyFingers

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:12 am

I've got TP too. So I got a LH Dorado just to try the Point'n Shoot deal. Funny, there's no TP on the left side and my master eye wasn't an issue with this method. It's easy to move the arrow in or out with the Dorado. Then you can piddle with arrow weight and nocking point to get the elevation. 22 yards was a far as got with it, and then the arrow fell off quickley. From 0 to 22 the arrows were just there--spooky. ;) I'm think'n maybe I should play with it some more. :)

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby deathwind » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:01 pm

I've been shooting a Wallace Mountain longbow a good bit lately and one of things that I've found is that if you need to make a longer shot you can move your hand down farther on the handle. This will raise your arrow higher off of your pointing hand which will make it hit higher. I'm not talking a lot here , just a quarter of an inch or so. But it's worth experimenting with it.

I don't judge yardage but I do think in terms of short ,medium and long shots. On the close in short range shots, I imagine pointing with my index finger at the target. On the middle range shots, I imagine a laser coming out of the center of my fist going to the target. On the long range shots I shoot just the same as the medium range shots but lower my grip slightly on the riser.

With my recurve I don't have as much drop in the arrow , so I can just point with my index finger out from short range through the medium range shots and just point at the target with the center of my fist on the longer shots.

Hope this helps,
Bill
deathwind

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum