Skip to content

Shoot Along, Target Panic, Improve Form

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Shoot Along, Target Panic, Improve Form

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:29 am

Yes, and pls (please) do continue when you can. I've gotten some good nuggets out of your post.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby bentbow58 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:41 am

didnt mean anything by the pls. this is interesting to me
keith
Hell must be empty cuz all the devils is here!
brothers of the bale
bentbow58

Postby Bowmania » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:49 am

Here's the countdown/sequence I use on every shot.

It's pretty complicated. That's why I expect most will not follow through. I once tried to help a guy through TP with a clicker. He had had it for over 5 years. He tried a clicker for 2 weeks and then said, "clickers don't work." As I said this is no quick fix or is it easy.

1.) Left hand – light grip.

2.) Left shoulder – locked down

3.) Relax right forearm muscles

4.) Picture funnel and arrow in target

5.) Look down at cresting

6.) Draw

7.) Anchor

8.) Gap

9.) Back tension/release/Follow through and touch right shoulder.

Might be a good idea to print these 9 points out. They are going to get drilled into your head.
Bowmania

Postby Bowmania » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:36 pm

Very interesting. Rod Jenkins gave a seminar at the WI Trad Archers banquette. Wish I had counted the number of times he said sequence or my sequence in the first 10 minutes. A lot.

I asked how many "things" in his sequence - 7.

Someone asked how long his sequence took. When shooting a 300 round - 9 seconds. When shooting at an animal considerably less, when shooting at a moving animal considerably less than that.

I asked how many people he thought shot with a sequence - probably less than 5%.

Want to be better than 95% of the archers out there? Let's continue!!!
Bowmania

Postby Bowmania » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:44 pm

Some explanation is in order.

As I said before I'm a gapper, Doug is not. IF you’re instinctive and want to substitute something for "Gap" feel free.

Don't substitute burn a hole or something simular. I did this for 40+ years and think it’s a bad idea. Do this right now. Pick a spot on any thing in the room your now in say a door knob. I don't know if this is because I wear contacts, but my focus last 1 to 2 seconds. Then the edge or area around the knob starts to appear. This is the reason for number 5 - look down at the cresting. Doesn't have to be the cresting, just something to look away from the spot. AND signal to start drawing. Next time you look at the spot, you set the gap and the spot is crystal clear. If you read Dr. Amberry's book you'll see he spends a lot of time on focus.

He also spends time on visualization. He has sequence like above for shooting a free throw. One is a long arm that reaches out from the free throw line to just above the basket and drops the ball in. Doug and I laughed about this because we did the same thing. We both pictured an arrow that was as long as the shot and saw it almost in the spot. Doug uses this idea, but I couldn't. When I tried it I kept thinking the spine of that arrow is so weak it will break when it hits the target. It broke my concentration. I picture a funnel that has the small end at the spot and big end near me. The arrow goes in the funnel and can't miss.

How long does it take to make a shot? On average would everyone agree that it takes 2 to 5 seconds? Using that amount of time, it would be pretty hard to install 9 new things in a shot that takes 5 seconds or less. So let’s break it down. To start, use 1. 2. 3, 5, 6, 7. Adding the back tension, release, and follow through is too much for TP archers just having trouble getting to full draw. When you hit 7 hold and let go. We can add the rest and the glue of the final instruction at a later date.
Bowmania

Postby oscar » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks.
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
oscar

Postby Bowmania » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:56 am

Here’s something that I’m sure would happen to you. Let’s say you decided to shoot a 5 arrow ends with your new style. You shoot two arrows with the countdown. I’d bet that within the remaining arrows you will start to shoot the way you used to. I’d bet on it. You’ve been shooting that way all your life. I told you it wouldn’t be easy and that’s why it will take 28 days to completely break the habit. As much as I’d like you to tell me that I won the bet, it would be counter productive. Shoot one arrow at a time. Pull it and shoot another. I got in the habit of using a bare shaft. You can see if it sticks in the same way every time.

I mentioned 3 to 5 arrows a day. Some days you may want to shoot more and some days you may not have time to shoot any. I still want you to shoot 5. When you go to bed close your eyes and shoot the 5. Think of addressing the target, pulling the arrow out of the quiver, nocking the arrow, pointing the bow at the target, then 1,2,3,5,6, and 7. Then walking to the target, pulling the arrow ect. After trying something that sounded so goofy, I think you’ll learn the most with 3 arrows at the target and 2 arrows at the target (from your bed) for your total of 5 arrows a day. That’s living archery and the great thing about those last two bare shaft arrows is that they’re always straight in the target. Your concentration is much more intense for 5 arrows. Do it. Shoot 5 arrows one day and then the next try to match that same intensity for 20 arrows.

So let’s take the first shot. Your about 6 feet from the target. There’s a couple of things I do before the shot that are not part of the countdown. Foot placement and breathing. For me being right handed, I set my feet so that you could draw a line from the target to my left toe to the center of my right foot. This somewhat open stance allows for more use of the stronger back muscles. I then exhale and bring up the bow with the inhale. Now, lefthand,leftshoulder,rightforarm,cresting,draw,anchor and release. 28daysX5arrows=140arrows. 139 more to go. As you go along you don’t really think 1 left hand light tension ect. The ideas of each just sort of flow.

We’re getting close to the glue or final instruction that will hold this all in place. The glue that prevents you from thinking don’t shoot high or low, or is anyone watching me shoot. But first we have to add in 4, 8, and 9.

Your still 6 feet from the target. You can put up a spot to shoot at or use visualization. I think visualization of a 3D target is better. When I went through my second 28 I used both. The funnel or long arrow is very easy to add in. It’s done before the draw is started. The gap is part of aiming and you pretty much know what it is from the funnel. Back tension is another story. If you went with a light bow as I suggested it’s much easier to feel. I might call it engaging your rhomboid muscles to initiate the release of your fingers. I learned from the use of a clicker. I have since tried a Formaster. It will teach you the idea in two shots, maybe one. You now have another 140 arrows to go
Bowmania

Postby Bowmania » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:15 am

Are you ready for the glue? If you read the book it will make much more sense. And again this is a how not why. You’ve heard of athletes that preformed at levels that may be termed world class. When asked about their performance they say, “I was in a zone.” How can we get in that zone? That zone could be called the absence of thought. Those world class performances are not thought about. They come about through practice. We just spent 60 days learning our form so that we don’t have to think about it. How do we make sure that we don’t think about it and let our brains screw it up? DURING YOUR SHOT COUNTDOWN YOU REPEAT A MANTRA IN YOUR MIND. Your mind is now occupied with the mantra and the practice allows us to execute the countdown without thinking about it. The mantra can be as complicated as, “five dollars, foot long” (hope that’s a national commercial) or as simple as the one I use, “kill, kill, kill, kill…..”

Once you’ve shot your 140 shots to instill 4, 8, and 9 into your practice, use your mantra to start number 1. “Kill” (left hand) “kill” (lock shoulder). Kill is repeated over and over and you’ll find that your practice allows you to go into a world class performance of 1 to 9 without thinking. Now, go out to longer distance and learn the gap or what ever you instinctive guys do. The fun will come back.

I the first paragraph of this thread I said I don’t think it is possible to get target panic when shooting this way. I think TP starts with negative thoughts. I defy you to get a negative thought in your brain if shooting with a mantra and shot sequence.

A special thanks to all who started in the beginning and are here at the end. This document is available in paragraph form without the much appreciated comments of our fellow Pirates by sending an email to toddszmania@core.com. It is in a Microsoft Word document, which makes it feasible to delete my unwanted ramblings. To those of you that are not looking at a blank page when completed I will toast my next shot of tequila.
Bowmania

Postby bob g » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:01 pm

i beat target panic by tweeking my form i now use aset draw pulling to full drw slower setting my shoulder as ipull to full draw atight 2 point anchor with aclicker went from aglove to atab works for me
bob g

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum