Skip to content

Shoot Along, Target Panic, Improve Form

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Shoot Along, Target Panic, Improve Form

Postby Bowmania » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site. My thanks to Jim Casto Jr. who asked me to run this thread here. I started it on the LW and that's where Jim ran into it. Since it's a little long we both agreed to do it as was done on the LW. I apologize in advance for that, but it needs a little background to establish, shall we say, some legitimacy.

This thread is for archers who want to improve their shooting. Archers not happy with their form or want to improve it. Archers not happy with their consistency, but not interested in changing their form. Last and probably most important archers with target panic. I don’t know this for sure, but I don’t think it’s possible to get target panic if you shoot this way.

This is not an easy task or easy fix. It will take commitment on your part and I don’t think there will be many who will try it. THE REASON – I want you to shoot blind bale every day 3 to 5 arrows AND no other shooting at longer distances for 60 days. (I just heard people say, “Blind bale, I’m not doing it!” I promise this will be different.) The reason is it takes 28 days to break a bad habit and install a new (good) habit. And since the sequence or countdown is rather complicated it can’t be done in just 28. It will actually take 56 – 28 and 28. You may be able to simplify your sequence, but do it at the end when I give the last instruction that will make everything fall in place. You then will be able to tie every thing together and see how THIS IS GOING TO WORK.

Doug SC and I started this idea from a conversation we had on a book called Free Throw by Dr. Tom Amberry. This is not a thread on WHY, it’s a thread on HOW. For the why, Doug SC ran a thread called, “PERFECT SHOT EVERY SHOT, by Doug SC” on the Leatherwall. I don’t expect you to do this without some sort of WHY. Dr. Amberry explains how to make a free throw to win a game with 60,000 fans screaming for you to miss. Could this be the same kind of pressure as shooting at a 200 inch buck of a lifetime? I don’t think 160,000 fans would be close to that – there’s always another game, but never a chance like 200 inch buck again. You get the idea. Does it work? Dr. Amberry hit 2750 free throws in a row without a miss. It took him 12 hours. Twelve hours of shooting free throws without a miss. He had 8 scorers for the Guinness Book of World Records. The only reason he quit was because the gym was closing. Did I mention HE WAS 72 YEARS OLD when he did this? Let that sink in a while.
Bowmania

Re: Shoot Along, Target Panic, Improve Form

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:20 pm

Actually, I saw it on TradGang first. It came up missing there :shock: and I saw it again on the LW. Thanks for posting here. Anything that has (even) the potential to improve shooting is good reading as far as I'm concerned. Thanks again, and welcome to POA.

Jim
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby bentbow58 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:05 am

KEEP IT COMING1111
Hell must be empty cuz all the devils is here!
brothers of the bale
bentbow58

Postby Yohon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:55 am

Yep....has a very interesting angle to it......
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Bowmania » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:02 am

Again, this is how not why. If you’re interested in the why buy the book or read Doug’s thread.

If you’re contemplating trying this there’s a reason. I’d like to address this from the standpoint TP (target panic), whether you have it or not. If you don’t have it and still follow the directions it will probably sink in easier and faster. You may be able to write down a sequence and do it in less than 60 days.

The first thing your going to need is a target that you can shoot at from about 6 feet. You want the target on a level with your bow arm perpendicular to your body. Live in an apartment, hang it in a closet on the clothing rack. Shoot sitting down if your worried about the upper limb. I believe everyone can find a place to shoot and everyone can shoot 3 to 5 arrows a day. It probably takes about 10 minutes a day.

CHANGE! CHANGE! CHANGE! It’s very important to remember that this is the last time your going to shoot like you used to. The TP people will need a bow 35 to 40 lbs. I don’t have TP, but did it with a 39 lb bow. If you don’t have TP hunting weight will just make it harder and take some of the change away.

I’d like to see a couple of form changes. This will represent a break from the old form of shooting. One thing I notice after years of swing drawing – it’s a bad idea. The main problem I see is too much movement when an animal is near. It’s also hard on you shoulder joints. They’re not in line until at full draw. A couple of other things is don’t cant, don’t bend at the knees, or waist. Just too hard to cant or bend the exact same way every time. Would you bend at the knees or waist if you were shooting a rifle at deer that’s 100 yards away. No it’s an unstable platform. You can add canting at a later date or when you have to in a hunting situation. I see no use for bending unless you have to shoot under something. It just shortens you draw AND makes you shoulders harder to get in line.

Bowmania
Bowmania

Postby bentbow58 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:54 am

sound familiar,pls go on
keith
Hell must be empty cuz all the devils is here!
brothers of the bale
bentbow58

Postby Bowmania » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:02 am

pls, what's that stand for???

As they say there's nothing "new" in archery! It's been around 50,000 years. This is putting two ideas together. One of them not used much in archery - that I know of.

Bowmania
Bowmania

Postby Bowmania » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:04 am

By the way, while I think of it Doug’s instinctive and I’m a gapper. For those of you that think this is too elaborate to use in a hunting situation you’re wrong. All you have to do is start my last instruction and every thing will fall into place without thinking. You spent 56 days putting in your brain. (I shot a doe walking fairly fast this year that I would have gap shot at about 15 yds, but she took an unexpected right and I didn’t have time to gap it. Shot it instinctively at about 20-22 yards. Perfect quartering away shot. The beauty of learning gap to shoot instinctively.)

One of the things Doug mentioned in our discussion was how hard it was to shoot a 25 indoors at a 5 spot 20 yards. It’s not that hard to shoot 3 arrows for 15, but the next two get harder and harder. Why? It’s the mental game. You start putting more and more pressure on yourself. THINKING, THINKING, THINKING not to miss and you miss. With this system and the last instruction there’s no room to think hit or miss. They’re all the same.

That ability to think, "don't miss" is in my opinion what causes TP. Your at full draw or near and you think don't shoot high, don't shoot low, don't shoot right or you'll hit that tree, and you shoot left, because the last thought was going to be don't shoot left. That shot put the seeds of TP in your mind. All of a sudden you bow arm is flapping like fish and then you can't get to full draw. Well, that was your old style. In 28 days you'll see that IT WON'T HAPPEN BECAUSE YOUR HAVE A "NEW STYLE".

Think about how many times you see someone shooting an arrow, grabbing another arrow, nocking it, drawing, shooting, and back to grabbing another arrow. No thought in mind. It is somewhat relaxing. This is not relaxing, it’s hard and I will say it KIND OF takes that fun out of shooting. BUT the fun comes back in when it’s drilled in your mind and you don’t miss.
Bowmania

Postby Bowmania » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:07 am

I'll be going to the Wisconsin Traditional Archers Banquette tomorrow. Will be leaving and dawnthirty and will try to post my sequence/countdown before I leave.

I apologize in advance if I don't get it done.

Bowmania
Bowmania

Postby Yohon » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:08 am

"pls" ....means please...continue on ;)
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum