Skip to content

Duco cement question

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Duco cement question

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:13 pm

I'm fletching up some woodies i got from Jeff with that awesome new longbow. There are a half dozen on there that are stained, finished, tapered, and straight. They weigh within 6 grains of each other too. Not to mention, they're the right length for me. So I decided to finish these up.

Ok. Here's the question. How long does it take for this duco cement to set up so I can index my fletching jig?
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Re: Duco cement question

Postby rwsbow » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:58 pm

I normally wait about 10 minutes between fletches with Duco..but then I use vanes!!Think it should be about the same with feathers?!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Cutty » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:10 pm

Man, get yourself some fletch tape! I did the duco thing just to be "Trad" with woodies for a couple dozen and it does work as good or better than Platinum Fletch-Tite or more expensive archery specific stuff...but tape with a superglue chaser is sooo fast...and unless you're getting super cold or hot temperatures, it's durable too.

But as far as time...I'd say the same as Roger...about ten minutes...makes you want a JO-JAN MULTI pretty quickly. Or HH Archery has like a lazy susan table with a dozen BITZ jigs mounted on it. So, by the time you get all the way around, you can just keep going...now that's a slick idea.

I also saw they have drains below their dipped arrows, that run back into MAYO jars, to save the poly that runs off...pretty slick too.
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:16 pm

makes you want a JO-JAN MULTI pretty quickly.

Oh, HO!! I am using a Jo-Jan Multifeltcher. :D I've been waiting 20 minutes between changing feathers or so. I have my points all cleaned up and I'll hot glue them in the morning.

Ok. next question. What's up with hot melt glue with a torch on wood shafts. How do i get the glue on the shaft and hot enough to adhere properly without turning the shaft into a match stick? Do I heat the glue until it's runny and smear it all over the wood shaft, then heat the point and squish them together real good?
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby james wrenn » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:37 am

Do I heat the glue until it's runny and smear it all over the wood shaft, then heat the point and squish them together real good

That is the way unless you have a hot pot with the glue already melted to dip your shaft tips in.
james wrenn

Postby Cutty » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:39 pm

Also, don't overdo it with the glue like I usually do. If you melt it well, you can take the field tips you've cleaned out with acetone and a cue tip, or denatured, or Captain Morgan's, twist them on quickly, then pull them back, and twist them on tight again without the glue hardening too much for full coverage.
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby Tom in San Diego » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:08 pm

With Ducco I wait 15 min. before I remove the clamps. In regards to the points and glue issue, I heat the point first, melt the hot glue on to a heated shaft. I then put the point onto the shaft and heat up till I see the excess glue ozzing out the back end of the point. I then push the arrow and point into a hole I have drilled in edge of my 1 in table top. I wipe the excess glue in an old towel I have resting on my knee. Then I spin test it. Oh yes, I use one of those alki lamps for heat source.
I did not know Duco would work with Vanes?
Tom in San Diego

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery