Skip to content

Rebuilding a grip

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Rebuilding a grip

Postby Chameleon » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:37 am

I want to beef up a wooden grip - what would be the best way to do that? Should I get some wood putty or something and build it out and then sand it down? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to wokring with this kind of stuff, but I want to experiment with making a grip that feels just right...
Chameleon

Re: Rebuilding a grip

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:40 am

Where's Hank? Oh, yeah, he's at the boobie bar. I think Hank uses Bondo sometimes. I don't see why wood filler epoxy wouldn't work, especialy if mixed with some sawdust
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Hank » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:02 am

Bondo can work, but I heard that plumber's 2 part epoxy that comes in a tube is real nice to work with. Bondo takes stain real well :)
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby james wrenn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:54 pm

I used the two part epoxy putty like they sell at most hardware stores to build a grip for my 21st Century.It worked great and after it was covered with leather no one is the wiser. :)
james wrenn

Postby mike robin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:12 am

either will work ------but the bondo is way easier to tool .you can mix in extra hardener and do some of the tooling in minutes--its also easier to undo
chicks dig me
mike robin

Postby Cutty » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:54 am

If you don't really want to change the shape, just go a little thicker, you can use a thicker grade of leather for a grip too. I've used quiver leather for grips if I find them a bit too narrow and not only did it work, it takes away a little handshock, without feeling too squishy, or losing some control.
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby Cutty » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:55 am

Another way to do essentially the same thing is to build a grip out of overlapping strips of leather lace. Gives you kind of a cool wrapped effect too. I got that idea from Doug Witcher from Turkey Creek Lb's. You can pick up the leather lace from Hoby Lobby, or most craft stores pretty cheaply too.
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery