Skip to content

Fletching verus Vanes....

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Re: Fletching verus Vanes....

Postby PAarcher » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:40 am

Just a word on adhesives. I started using Beyond Bond a while back and it is the best fletching glue I have ever used.
It is a 2 part cyanoacrilate glue. (super glue) Run a bead of glue on whatever you are gluing then give it a little spray of the accelerant and press the pieces together. It's tight within a few seconds and stays tight. I've really beaten the heck out a pile of arrows that have feather fletch glued on with this stuff and they are really holding up well. Many pass throughs on my styrofoam target backed with the remnants of a layered target and the feathers show no signs of loosening up.
PAarcher

Postby Cutty » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:49 pm

I used to always have a dozen in vanes in case it was raining hard and I wanted to hunt. Then I just grabbed a Warf and shot them off an elevated rest. Then I started doing the Warf Black Magic Tire Wet thing and carrying my arrows in a Cat Quiver. If I'm shooting a non-center cut longbow, I NEED that extra forgiveness in hunting situations...though with the Firefly, I might just hop back and forth.
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby Cutty » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:50 pm

Oh, for what it's worth, I've heard the same thing about the rain vanes...that you really need to shoot them a bit before they get soft enough...then they're good to go, though.
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby Hornseeker » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:03 am

I want my arrows in a regular quiver.... and no type of protection is going to keep them from getting ruined when going through the brush with water and ice on it...

This morning was crappy out... would have been real good for vanes!

This winter I"m going to build an lb cut past center that I can put a rest on... will the plain old stick on rest work for vanes, or do I need even more clearance than they offer???

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby rwsbow » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:29 am

Plain old stick ons will work just fine as long as you cut the riser slightly past centershot.
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby PAarcher » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:33 am

I set up 1 arrow yesterday with the Flexfletch FLP400 low profile vanes. They are a little extra work but are pretty nice. You have to sand and clean the bases before gluing them. I sanded them with some 400 grit and cleaned them off and used the Beyond Bond. Man that's great glue!
Even shooting the arrow with the Treesharks in it's current off tune state they flew pretty well. I'm suitably impressed. They are very low profile! Almost too low profile for me. The tip of the feather touching the tip of my nose is a part of my anchor. I can't do that with these vanes and it's screwing me up a bit.
I glued these on with a left helical and they seem to spin the arrow up nicely. They are supposed to be very tough and durable.
PAarcher

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery