Skip to content

Fletching verus Vanes....

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Fletching verus Vanes....

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:02 pm

Lets hear some tales of fletching vs vanes? I am probably going to build me a sweet little rest compatible, center shot rig this winter and get some arras set up with vanes... Should be more durable and I'll have NO worries in the rain and the brush. I dont care WHAT you put on feathers, when you drag them through huckleberry and false huckleberry and spruce and fir thickets in the snow and rain for 1/2 hour... those feathers will be TOAST... and I hate the idea of "covering" them..

How about you? How do you solve the scrunched, ruined feather scenario? What are the cons of vanes besides not flying off a shelf??

Ernie
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Re: Fletching verus Vanes....

Postby james wrenn » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:18 am

I use my tube quiver so my fletchings are covered.They will still get wet if you hunt all day in pouring rain and 50mph winds however. :)

Today I understand vanes are made out of better materials than those in the past.When I first started they were hard and would get harder in cold weather and I started shooting feathers after the first couple of years.Feathers just worked much better than what was commonly availible.That is why the TM Hunter rest became king at the time.It gave clearance for those stiff vanes.Wish I could help but I am just a feather guy and have had no experiance with vanes in the last 25 years. :).
james wrenn

Postby rwsbow » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:38 am

Switched to vanes in 1983,and other than having to use elevated rests,which I was already using anyway, it solves a lot of problems.
As James said, vanes used to be extremely stiff, and you would get a lot of interfernce when shooting. But things have changed a lot, and they are fantastic to use.
I've been hunting in pouring rain and no problems shooting ( other than getting an extra shower from the release, not the vanes).
Used to use mylar "curly'vanes" (spin Wings) for FITA but have used regular vanes (Norway and Flex-Fletch) for all my other shooting. Don't shoot FITA anymore so it's just Norway Dura-Vanes.Very inexpensive..very tough..extremely flexible.
A lot of new products out like Blazers,Quik-Spin,RainVanes..all depends what you are looking for.
Fletching procedures are the same and nothing else different than fletching normal feathers..although on some vanes you have to clean the base with a cleaner (acetone) because of the molding release agents used, but many (including Norway vanes) you don't have to.
Just my take on them cause I like vanes..and you know what opinions are like?!!! :)
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Bill Grenoble » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:43 am

When I shot competition barebow/fingers with a compound, I shot an 1812 aluminum shaft using Marco 1.8" vanes. They shot at 265 fps with 60#, 26" draw, 16s ff string from my Jennings XLRS machined risers, and round wheels. I still have over 10,000 of those vanes, and a bunch of 2" to 4" vanes I played with at times. I will send you some Ernie. Of course for broadheads, the small ones won't work. I just used a magnetic wire flipper rest , and a plunger on the bow. I still carried some fletched with 2" feathers in case my release was off on a particular day :( . Bill
Bill Grenoble

Postby PAarcher » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:46 am

Well, vanes are heavier than feathers if that would make a difference to you. When I shot a lot of compound archery I used Bohning Blazer vanes and loved them. They gave great arrow flight with broadheads, were quiet and very tough. Unfortunately they are fairly high profile and may cause some clearance issues with the types of bows we shoot. If you can get them to work though they are a good option. You can only set them up with an offset though. I think they would be too short and stiff to get any helical out of them.
I think Flex Fletch makes some of the best vanes out there. They have all sorts of sizes and styles including some pretty nice low profile hunting vanes. I'm meaning to give them a try myself.
I've used the NAP Quick Spins. The 4" QS vanes are a little fragile though. They wrinkle easily then get noisy. They do work as advertised though. I think they may have been reformulated for increased durability but I haven't shot any of those. They are also fairly expensive.
I've used Bohning Killer Vanes and had good luck with them. You can put those on with some helix. They are tough and cheap.

I'll try to find a link for Flex Fletch.
PAarcher

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:48 am

I shot vanes with my compound. When I first got it, the sale dude told me I needed to shoot feathers to get good flight. Well..I NEVER worked on arrow flight with my compound, and unfortunately, I think thats the way MANY MANY compounders are...but anyhow, I switched to feathers for durability (the dang brush here on the Bitterroot divide will flat out eat feathers for lunch in no time) and never looked back.

Well, then trad bows came into my life and shooting off the shelf... Now you know where I'm at. I once read a TBM article that claimed if you raised your nock point to about 1 inch, you could shoot vanes "off the shelf"...still haven't really tried it!

Ernie

THanks all...
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby PAarcher » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:50 am

PAarcher

Postby rwsbow » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:02 am

Ernie,
You can get clearance and shoot off the shelf with vanes but you have to use lower profile vanes in the 12-4-8 configuration and raise nocking point to about 3/4 of an inch..I use elevated rests so that other than trying to prove to people that you can do it, don't use it myself.
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby PAarcher » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:17 am

Those Flex Fletch FLP400 low profile vanes look like they are near perfect. 4", low profile hunting vane. You should easily be able to put some helix on them. I'll have to see if LAS has any in stock.
PAarcher

Postby cst » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:41 pm

Ernie, I use feathers or AAE Elite Plastifletch vanes. I shoot both off the shelf with a 5/8-3/4" nock point. I usually use feathers cause I like the looks and forgiveness, but if it is going to rain, I always have a few arrows with the Plastifletches ready. They are fairly flexible and pretty durable if you don't shoot your arrows really close together. Luckily, I like to use the whole target (so as not to waste any) and I don't regularly rip em up. You don't really get the same thing with feathers. You might remove a little material but nothing like the holes or tears you get in vanes.
I have heard lots of good stuff from the one guy I know that has tried the rain vanes. He says you have to shoot them a bunch before they are worth a well you know what I mean. I think they soften up or something when they are shot a lot.
cst

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery