[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - Tuning an ILF

Skip to content

Tuning an ILF

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Tuning an ILF

Postby Keener » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:28 pm

So I bought a JC Customs 17" Optimus riser.
Paired it with some tradtech 50# mediums and strung it up. Ive tried off the shelf with the removable stock shelf and then felt pads. Brace is about 8 1/2".

My problem is every arrow Ive tried to bareshaft flies very weak. Like trying to kiss its own ass weak.
Arrows are 500 and 400 spine XX75s. I used points from 125 to 200 grains. Shafts are 30.5 inches.

For what its worth, my arrows work fine on a 55# Super Kodiak.

Any advice?
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
Keener

Re: Tuning an ILF

Postby BEN MAHER » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:21 am

How far past centre is it cut?
I run near the same on my Titan but draw closer to 29” and with a Flipper rest I’m running 500FMJ’s full length and tippes with 175gns. To most that would be way underspined but the Flipper gets me back to almost centre . Tuning is a pain eh !
BEN MAHER

Postby Keener » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:00 pm

The riser is cut .270" past center.
I'll need to build that out some or get an adjustable side plate, I guess.

I'll figure it out and make it work.

This bow is FAST, though.
Keener

Postby Keener » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:49 pm

I might have figured it out. I forgot you can adjust bow weight on an ILF.
My limb bolts were all the way in, I backed them out 3 turns each and tried a bare shaft.
MUCH better flight. Not perfect, but I think I can work with it.

So how much adjustment does an ILF riser have with weight? How far is too far when turning the bolts out (lighter weight)?

Does Viper have a book on ILF stuff? :twisted:
Keener

Postby PAarcher » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:58 pm

It depends on the riser, but I think you can typically get close to 5# out of most ILF bows. Set something up so that you can adjust the center shot. That will make a big difference.
PAarcher

Postby BEN MAHER » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:58 pm

BEN MAHER

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:20 am

I think the rule of thumb is about 10% adjustment.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"

"Form is everything."
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Keener » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:33 pm

I talked with John from JC Customs. He told me a heavier spine arrow was the way to go.
His recommendation is for a .340 or .300 spine shaft. So, I pulled a 100 grain brass weight from an old Blackhawk Carbonwood Vapor 4000 and replaced it with a standard insert. Damn thing flew near perfect.

I pulled the plastic rest out and put on some high tech felt pads, adjusted the nock point and tweaked the brace a touch.
Bingo. Laser beam at 10, 15, and 20 yards bare shaft.

Now I need to get rid of a little twang. Having some trouble getting it "mouse fart quiet".
I put felt on the contact points, made sure all the bolts and set screws were tight, set wool silencers at 1/3 and 1/4 limb positions. I just cant seem to make that last bit of vibration go away.
Keener

Postby Keener » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:34 pm

And this thing is fast to me.
Keener

Postby Yohon » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:45 pm

Try it at the upper end of the brace height recommendation.....
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery