[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - Trying something new

Skip to content

Trying something new

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Trying something new

Postby PAarcher » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:56 pm

What sort of idiot decides to try a completely new shooting style a month before archery season opens? Yeah, that's me!!
I bought this bow off of ebay. It's made by a Chinese traditional bow making company with a very good reputation. https://www.alibowshop.com/
It's only 35#@28" but draws smoothly to 32".
Shooting off my hand from the right side of the bow using a thumb release. This picture (that I'm hoping someone will resize for me!) represents as close as I've been able to come to the center of the target thus far. From 10 yards. Frankly, I'm thrilled just to hit the target!!
The thumb release is interesting. I'm not using a thumb ring yet.
The bow is very well made and seems pretty darn quick. With nothing in the string, it is VERY quiet and has no handshock or vibration. It's pretty impressive.
Gaining any sort of competence with this style of bow is going to take some time, but I think it might be worthwhile.

I'm not getting rid of my Titan just yet! :D

Mike's bow.jpg
Mike's bow.jpg (412.67 KiB) Viewed 525 times
PAarcher

Re: Trying something new

Postby PAarcher » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:22 pm

Thank you for fixing my picture.
PAarcher

Postby Yohon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:44 pm

WOW....that is a heck of a departure from a Titan :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby jeffhalfrack » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:30 pm

What's really I. Those soy sauce packets!
jeffhalfrack

Postby Stykshooter » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:39 am

Ten years ago one of the guys down here, Van Patten, he has been to Baltimore with me, bought one of those bows and a thumb ring. Several of us tried it off and on for a month or so with varying levels of success. Seems like in order to get it to shoot very well at all we were shooting arrows that were way under spined, by ten pounds or more.

This was right after that Korean movie came out... "War of Arrows" or something similar and that style of shooting was a real fad.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby BEN MAHER » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:43 am

Randy, that was a cool film eh
BEN MAHER

Postby PAarcher » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:41 am

I've been watching videos from an archery instructor from Malta. It seems like there are two facets needed to shoot these things properly. One is the thumb release. I'm pretty sure I can get that handled. The floating "anchor" that goes with it might be another story. The other facet involves the bow hand. They have a name for it but I don't remember what it is. As the arrow is released, the bow sort of rolls away from the arrow. It's not a hard, deliberate movement but a deliberate consequence of the grip. This seems to allow them to shoot a very wide variety of spine ranges. I have no idea how to even approach that yet.

What really impresses me with this bow is how quiet and vibration free it is with no string silencers. It feels really good to shoot.

These people shot these things for thousands of years and used them for everything from war to hunting to recreation. It seems like there should be some utility in learning how to do what they did.
PAarcher

Postby PAarcher » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:44 am

When I get some free time I want to watch this. There should be a little archery involved...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zQ52S6 ... x=2&t=151s
PAarcher

Postby jeffhalfrack » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:18 pm

Btw,,,,,,I like those bows! I hit that target way up the hill at Denton hill ,,,I was supposed to get a free bow,,,but ,,no ,,,they let me use a glove that replaced the thumb ring ,,,I felt the glove was easier to shoot ,,,,,fwiw JeffW
jeffhalfrack

Postby Daniel Banting » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:16 pm

There was a Canadian guy from Hungary I believe. If a vague memory is correct his name was Chris something maybe Constantine. I met him after finding one of his bear hounds while I was setting baits in same area as he was running hounds. A long story ( arn't all of mine! ) abbreviated, I continued to run into him off and on for years afterwards. One year I saw him at Denton Hill and found out he made a series of "Horse Bows". ( maybe called Spitfire Bows??)

At the time I owned what was a pretty significant gun shop here in Ca. and had a lady Doctor who had taken up the shooting sports in a big way. She was also into horses, jumping, dressage etc. She mentioned to me that she would like to get involved in shooting bows from her horses. I guess she read a story in one of the magazines back in the day. In any case I put her in touch with this fellow Chris. She was so enamoured with horse archery that she ended up buying a bunch of bows from this guy. As a gift she had him make me a "cerimonial" model complete with gold braid and inlays. (ugly enough to make you puke). It came with a history book etc.

As far as I know it is still hanging in the bedroom of the young girl who used to live close to me. When her Dad was over for a visit she fell in love with it ( Not surprising as with the gold braid and rose coloured ribbons it looked like it was made for Barbie ) so I gave it to her. The only time I shot it I tried shooting at a snow bank at the end of my lane. The bank was about 20 feet long and 6 or more feet high. After missing it with the first three arrows, I figured you had to be on a horse in order to shoot it. I didn't have one so I gave the bow to someone who had a greater appreciation of it!

Good luck with yours.
dgb
Daniel Banting

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery