[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4687: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3836)
Pirates Of Archery • View topic - Ancient arrow

Skip to content

Ancient arrow

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Ancient arrow

Postby PAarcher » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:57 am

I saw this pop up on Twitter this morning . A 1500 year old arrow recovered from a glacier. Fully intact, including some of the fletching. I thought it was pretty cool.

ancient arrow.jpg
ancient arrow.jpg (141.81 KiB) Viewed 466 times
PAarcher

Re: Ancient arrow

Postby Keener » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:57 pm

That is pretty cool! The size of the broadhead is surprising, though.
I had always heard/read that a head that size was most likely a spear point.

Very interesting.
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
Keener

Postby Daniel Banting » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:23 pm

The first thing I thought when I looked at the picture was "blood really makes metal rust badly". That came from years of experience with rifles and shotguns with badly rusted muzzles due to some nimrod poking a dead animal with the barrel of his gun. cOf course I know that being buried for a few centuries doesn't help. db
Daniel Banting

Postby PAarcher » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:07 pm

I wish I had more information, but from what I read, this was very recently released from being fully encapsulated in the ice. I believe it said that the broadhead was some sort of copper alloy. You can see the sinew still intact. I wish they had provided a picture of the whole arrow.
PAarcher

Postby PAarcher » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Ugh. I found another photo but I can't seem to load it in a recognizable file.

Here is a link:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EB2rKvXXkAAokM3.jpg:large
PAarcher

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Here it is Mike:

Ancient arrow 01.jpg
Ancient arrow 01.jpg (101.13 KiB) Viewed 461 times
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"

"Form is everything."
Jim Casto Jr

Postby PAarcher » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:48 am

You are the official picture guy Jim. Thanks.
PAarcher

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:31 am

Looks like the kind of rock field that my arrows usually end up in too.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Bender » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 am

Interesting. Any idea where? Copper alloy? At only 1500 years old steel was available in Northern Europe. Perhaps found elsewhere? And that sure does look like iron rust.
Bender

Postby PAarcher » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:10 pm

I'm not positive about the copper alloy. It does look like rust. As far as where I don't know that either. Somewhere where they have melting glaciers.
Mine never look that good after landing in rocks like that Randy!
PAarcher

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery